Need advice on sunscreen after skin cancer and waterproof bandaids

TwinCruiserMom

Skin cancer is sure a wake up call!

All those years of sun tanning has come home to roost in the form of a basal cell carcinoma that I just had removed from my shoulder blade area. I was lucky in that I was able to get the mohs procedure and I am now clear of cancer.

My number one question is: what is the best sunscreen you have found to protect your skin? I would like something not really greasy with more of a smooth feel after application. I have had good luck with Banana Boat Sport before, but I am more concerned with total protection now. I have been using 30spf, should I up that number to 50? I appreciate any advice.

My number two question is: can you recommend a truly waterproof bandaid that you have had good luck with? I have a 1" circular hole in my back that will definitely not be completely healed 3 weeks from now when my husband and I are cruising the Caribbean. I do not spend a ton of time in the water, but would like to be able to swim and I need to keep this wound covered and dry to prevent infection. The doctor said a waterproof bandaid would work, but did not have any particular recommendations.

I am so thankful that this was caught so early and very blessed to have a husband who is an RN as he is doing the twice daily dressing changes. I have read many stories on this forum that have inspired me from folks with skin cancer and other medical issues and I hope that someone will have some advice for me so I can still enjoy this cruise.

There has never been a time I have needed a cruise more than right now :)

Kathy

Kathy, my mom had skin cancer and she was like you they caught it in time. her Dr. has her use 70 spf or above. She uses 100spf and I think it is by Nuetragena and she swears by it. In fact she even puts it on the greatgrandkids when they are there and outside. I hope this helps.

Hi Kathy,

I found a melanoma just before a trip to the Equator (!) this spring. Bandaid makes a very good waterproof sports bandaid (I haven't had them fall off even from water skiing). I would put a heavy amount of antibiotic ointment (when it was still open) or a Vitamin E cream (once it scabbed) and then the bandaids, after letting my skin dry really good after showering. Both were prescriptions from my dermatologist. Let the bandaid glue set for a bit before going out and about and they will last a long time.

We do a lot of watersports and what works best for me is Banana Boat for Kids 50 waterproof. It has zinc in it and I have never gotten a burn. It goes on thick like glue so it may not be what you're looking for, but I absolutely cannot get sun on my arm where the skin was removed and this stuff works really well for me and doesn't upset my sensitive skin. I will add that even after applying heavily it disappears after a few minutes so I don't have that filmy white look.

If I'm not going into the water I will use a lighter product. My favorite is Coppertone Oil Free 30. But, I will not be sitting in the sun: I will be under an umbrella. I have decided to embrace my pale skin and not worry about having a tan anymore. However, I do cheat and use a light self tanner on my legs in the summer when I run around in shorts and skirts. :)

I plan on cruising for many more years, and I'm not going to risk my skin any more.

Also, if you like snorkeling like I do, or spend a lot of time playing in the surf, invest in a rash guard. They are very comfortable and you don't need to worry about whether your sunscreen has washed off, or you can put it on any time you feel like you've had too much sun.

JMHO

SPF above 45 or 50 is really a waste of money....you can buy clothing with a high SPF factor, so that you don't get any sun.

The key is to apply enough sunscreen to start with (1 oz...a shotglass full) and then re-apply every 2 hours, regardless of "water resistance"! If you towel off, you're removing the sunscreen!

My Mohs surgeon basically reccomended any broad spectrum sunscreen over 30 SPF with UVA/UVB protection. Alot of good choices out there but she suggested and I personally like Aveeno and Neutrogena.

My Mohs was on my nose so it's nearly impossible to cover so I have to rely on a good sunscreen. I had more than 80 stitches and after years as a sun worshipper and benign neglect I really look at the sun as an enemy. It stinks as I feel too young to be hiding from the sun but skin cancer doesn't care how old you are and I'm not as young as I think I am sometimes. ;)

As for a band aid I kept my nose covered for so long with the surgery and dermabrasion but I'm afraid nothing was waterproof. Maybe you could ask your surgeon what they recommend?

I also like the Neutrogena (with Helioplex) Healthy Defense daily moisturizer with an SPF of 50.

I am also a fan of the big hat. I really love the sunhats that Coolibar has. Have you checked out their website yet? It's pretty awesome.

http://www.coolibar.com/

Have a great cruise!!

If you have a dermatologist or doctor ask them.

I didnt have skin cancer but I bought something available only through the dermatologist..that isnt greasy, spf 50, and doesnt wear off easy. I paid $60 for it but it is worth every penny..I used it after several chemical peels when I went outdoors and it worked by far better than over the counter stuff..to me anyway

Skin cancer is sure a wake up call!

All those years of sun tanning has come home to roost in the form of a basal cell carcinoma that I just had removed from my shoulder blade area. I was lucky in that I was able to get the mohs procedure and I am now clear of cancer.

My number one question is: what is the best sunscreen you have found to protect your skin? I would like something not really greasy with more of a smooth feel after application. I have had good luck with Banana Boat Sport before, but I am more concerned with total protection now. I have been using 30spf, should I up that number to 50? I appreciate any advice.

My number two question is: can you recommend a truly waterproof bandaid that you have had good luck with? I have a 1" circular hole in my back that will definitely not be completely healed 3 weeks from now when my husband and I are cruising the Caribbean. I do not spend a ton of time in the water, but would like to be able to swim and I need to keep this wound covered and dry to prevent infection. The doctor said a waterproof bandaid would work, but did not have any particular recommendations.

I am so thankful that this was caught so early and very blessed to have a husband who is an RN as he is doing the twice daily dressing changes. I have read many stories on this forum that have inspired me from folks with skin cancer and other medical issues and I hope that someone will have some advice for me so I can still enjoy this cruise.

There has never been a time I have needed a cruise more than right now :)

Kathy

Kathy, my mom had skin cancer and she was like you they caught it in time. her Dr. has her use 70 spf or above. She uses 100spf and I think it is by Nuetragena and she swears by it. In fact she even puts it on the greatgrandkids when they are there and outside. I hope this helps.

Thank you for the info and I am glad your mom caught her cancer in time, too :)

Hi Kathy,

I found a melanoma just before a trip to the Equator (!) this spring. Bandaid makes a very good waterproof sports bandaid (I haven't had them fall off even from water skiing). I would put a heavy amount of antibiotic ointment (when it was still open) or a Vitamin E cream (once it scabbed) and then the bandaids, after letting my skin dry really good after showering. Both were prescriptions from my dermatologist. Let the bandaid glue set for a bit before going out and about and they will last a long time.

We do a lot of watersports and what works best for me is Banana Boat for Kids 50 waterproof. It has zinc in it and I have never gotten a burn. It goes on thick like glue so it may not be what you're looking for, but I absolutely cannot get sun on my arm where the skin was removed and this stuff works really well for me and doesn't upset my sensitive skin. I will add that even after applying heavily it disappears after a few minutes so I don't have that filmy white look.

If I'm not going into the water I will use a lighter product. My favorite is Coppertone Oil Free 30. But, I will not be sitting in the sun: I will be under an umbrella. I have decided to embrace my pale skin and not worry about having a tan anymore. However, I do cheat and use a light self tanner on my legs in the summer when I run around in shorts and skirts. :)

I plan on cruising for many more years, and I'm not going to risk my skin any more.

Fabulous information about the bandaids, sunscreen and the rash guard - thank you so much. It is very good to know that the waterproof bandaid brand really does stay on in the water.

I agree with you regarding the sun - it is definitely the enemy now and I will also use an umbrella whenever I can. I do not want to go through this stress and trauma ever again!!!!

SPF above 45 or 50 is really a waste of money....you can buy clothing with a high SPF factor, so that you don't get any sun.

The key is to apply enough sunscreen to start with (1 oz...a shotglass full) and then re-apply every 2 hours, regardless of "water resistance"! If you towel off, you're removing the sunscreen!

Thank you for your response. I plan on using huge amounts of sunscreen from now on and also reapplying often.

My Mohs surgeon basically reccomended any broad spectrum sunscreen over 30 SPF with UVA/UVB protection. Alot of good choices out there but she suggested and I personally like Aveeno and Neutrogena.

My Mohs was on my nose so it's nearly impossible to cover so I have to rely on a good sunscreen. I had more than 80 stitches and after years as a sun worshipper and benign neglect I really look at the sun as an enemy. It stinks as I feel too young to be hiding from the sun but skin cancer doesn't care how old you are and I'm not as young as I think I am sometimes. ;)

As for a band aid I kept my nose covered for so long with the surgery and dermabrasion but I'm afraid nothing was waterproof. Maybe you could ask your surgeon what they recommend?

I also like the Neutrogena (with Helioplex) Healthy Defense daily moisturizer with an SPF of 50.

I am also a fan of the big hat. I really love the sunhats that Coolibar has. Have you checked out their website yet? It's pretty awesome.

http://www.coolibar.com/

Have a great cruise!!

Thank you so much for all the wonderful information.

I also feel cheated as I love the sun and am young for this to occur, according to my doctor. When I was young, they had TV commercials for Ban de soleil for the San Tropez tan and the models were all so darkly tanned! We all wanted to look like them and spent hours in the sun. And now I am paying dearly for that foolishness.

Maybe I will get a sun hat :) Might be fun to try something new.

try Pink Tape- my husband used it to help keep his ostomy dry- you might

be able to cover a normal dressing with the Pink Tape for the time you

are swimming- you can get it at any medical supply store

Good idea - I could always use that tape or another waterproof tape over a waterproof bandaid for extra coverage. Thanks!

Not to be rude but shouldn't this be a question you ask your doctor?

Kirk

These questions were addressed with my doctor and as noted in my first post, he had no recommendations for brands of waterproof bandaids, recommended sunscreen of at least 30spf and he gave me a list of ingredients to look for.

I prefer to get advice from those who have used products and have first hand knowledge of the product's effectiveness. I cannot play games anymore with the sun and I feel better in purchasing a product that has worked well for others.

I am very thankful for the informative responses I have received so far, and I will be looking further into the products that have been recommended.

clear.gifI love rashguards! I kind of collect them. athleta.com is my favorite source. They have many different kinds. This one is my favorite. It's called a 'ruched guard'. I have it in white (which I wouldn't recommend because it's gotten stained from sunscreen/sweat around the neck).

They have several other styles as well. http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=826058022

at826058-00av2v02.jpg

I also wear a hat and apply and apply sunscreen. We are practically albino we are so fair, and my mother has had melanoma, so we don't take chances. Good luck!

Robin

I found a list (somewhere:rolleyes:) of highly rated sunscreens from dermatologist. One of the top sunscreens was called Blue Lizard and it is from Australia. It is not always easy to find but you can send away for it from a variety of places.

Now - when you first apply it - you look kind of "ghostly" but in a few minutes it "sinks" in and it feels fine. I usually use the "sensitive".

Both my husband and I have to be extremely careful in the sun and I feel more protected with Blue Lizard than some of the other sunscreens we used previously.

I have also learned that most people do not use enough sunscreen. It needs to be applied generously and I now slather it on!

Enjoy your cruise!

clear.gifI love rashguards! I kind of collect them. athleta.com is my favorite source. They have many different kinds. This one is my favorite. It's called a 'ruched guard'. I have it in white (which I wouldn't recommend because it's gotten stained from sunscreen/sweat around the neck).

They have several other styles as well. http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=826058022

at826058-00av2v02.jpg

I also wear a hat and apply and apply sunscreen. We are practically albino we are so fair, and my mother has had melanoma, so we don't take chances. Good luck!

Robin

That is really a cute rash guard! I have never seen anything like that before. Thank you kindly for writing

These questions were addressed with my doctor and as noted in my first post, he had no recommendations for brands of waterproof bandaids, recommended sunscreen of at least 30spf and he gave me a list of ingredients to look for.

I prefer to get advice from those who have used products and have first hand knowledge of the product's effectiveness. I cannot play games anymore with the sun and I feel better in purchasing a product that has worked well for others.

I am very thankful for the informative responses I have received so far, and I will be looking further into the products that have been recommended.

OK, good, I just cringe when people get medical advice from strangers, however well intended those folks might be.

Kirk

I found a list (somewhere:rolleyes:) of highly rated sunscreens from dermatologist. One of the top sunscreens was called Blue Lizard and it is from Australia. It is not always easy to find but you can send away for it from a variety of places.

Now - when you first apply it - you look kind of "ghostly" but in a few minutes it "sinks" in and it feels fine. I usually use the "sensitive".

Both my husband and I have to be extremely careful in the sun and I feel more protected with Blue Lizard than some of the other sunscreens we used previously.

I have also learned that most people do not use enough sunscreen. It needs to be applied generously and I now slather it on!

Enjoy your cruise!

I think I saw Blue Lizard somewhere online. Thanks!

I don't have a photo of me in it full length (because I HATE those, I'm a size 14). But here's one of my husband and me with 'snorkel face'. I'm looking at it and thinking I'm ordering a new one before our next cruise--in a color!

I also wanted to say that my dermatologist recommends Neutrogena sunscreen. I love it. It's fairly scent-less, and since scents bother me, I like that. We've also had good luck with Banana Boat. Use lots. Apply and reapply and reapply and reapply. Every hour. Every time you get out of the water. Every time you think of it! :D

Our last cruise was to the Southern Caribbean. Six ports, water excursions in each port. We never got burned.

Robin

33682_1643525968578_1249712556_1734256_2202882_n.jpg

I don't have a photo of me in it full length (because I HATE those, I'm a size 14). But here's one of my husband and me with 'snorkel face'. I'm looking at it and thinking I'm ordering a new one before our next cruise--in a color!

I also wanted to say that my dermatologist recommends Neutrogena sunscreen. I love it. It's fairly scent-less, and since scents bother me, I like that. We've also had good luck with Banana Boat. Use lots. Apply and reapply and reapply and reapply. Every hour. Every time you get out of the water. Every time you think of it! :D

Our last cruise was to the Southern Caribbean. Six ports, water excursions in each port. We never got burned.

Robin

33682_1643525968578_1249712556_1734256_2202882_n.jpg

I love the "snorkel face" picture :)

Thanks so much for the great advice!

DH and I bought rash guards on our last cruise. We hate getting burnt, and since we cruise for two weeks at a time, we need to remain covered by the end of the cruise. I prefer Neutrogena sunscreen SPF 40+, as it feels great going on and does not feel greasy.

Archived