Quick Review of Sun Oct 29 to Nov 5

cacj

This cruise was a terrific cruise. We embarked with little trouble. The port was quite nice, and the folks seemed to have a handle on process.

The shows were good to excellent. We did not see the hypnotist or ventriloquist, so cannot comment on them. But the singer/dancer shows and the comedian were very entertaining. The only downside to the staging is that the lighting is rather dark so you don't get to see the acts as well as I would like to. The theater is a bit of a challenge, as there are many columns to block the view if you choose a seat badly. Therefore, sitting up front or to the side might be your best bet.

We enjoyed Le Bistro....fantastic service and great food.

Il Adagio was our first dining experience on sail away from PC. We thoroughly enjoyed it, and the staff were above expectations.

We tried Four Seasons one night...the vibe there is rushed and chaotic, so we avoided it thereafter, and went to Seven Seas most nights.

We don't enjoy the buffet atmosphere so only used it when forced to use it while in a port, as the Seven Seas was closed during most port days.

The greatest change that we witnessed was the IN-frequency of announcements. On previous cruises the CD or Art Auctioneer, or Bingo person would be making so many PA announcements that it was disturbing to us. On this cruise we heard a limited number of PA announcements, and this was truly refreshing. I can only hope that this indicates that there is a change regarding the "hawking" of events.

There were always activities from which to choose. There were quiet areas, and the pool was almost always jumping. We loved spending time in the Observation Lounge. We missed it on the Star....I know, I know....revenue space. But comparing the Star who used to be our favorite ship with the Sun....well, the Sun seems much more suited to our need to roam and explore the ship, and find convenient bars and spots to just chill.

There is a new "image" that is being launched, according to the CD, about the so-called PUB crawl...they will not be calling it a crawl any longer. "Crawl" presents the wrong image, he reported. It is now called a PUB HOP. Either way, I am sure there will be some crawling after they enjoy it....we didn't do it, so cannot comment.

Our steward was competent and attentive to our requests. We found few problems and when we did, he promptly fixed it.

The hurricane frightened off most other cruise ships from Cozumel, so we were the only ones in port, and it was a great day, weatherwise. Because we were traveling with my sister, who has mobility issues, we did not walk off the ship in Cozumel, but took the time to enjoy the Sun and the "sun."

Our captain was proud to be the only ship that "dared" to arrive in Cozumel, and as a true Norwegian, he couldn't help but boast a little in his morning PA welcome to port.

We had not sailed the Sun in about 5 years or so....and we loved rediscovering her. While there are some rag tag marks on doors, or decks here and there, in general she shone and sparkled.

Security viewing keyholes were installed on all the staterooms and we are happy to say that they are working great, and offer a privacy screen so you can close it off to avoid any privacy issues.

Well, that is our quick review....if you have questions, please let me know.

Happy Sailing to you all!

Glad you had a great time on the Sun..we did too it was a great little ship...you mentioned about the peepholes, funny we had no peephole we cruised 10/15..our cabin was on the 9th floor (balcony)..I remember standing in the hallway waiting for our friends and noticing there was no hole in the door...I thought they were mandantory now....

Glad you had a great time on the Sun..we did too it was a great little ship...you mentioned about the peepholes, funny we had no peephole we cruised 10/15..our cabin was on the 9th floor (balcony)..I remember standing in the hallway waiting for our friends and noticing there was no hole in the door...I thought they were mandantory now....

I think they were installing them deck by deck...we saw them on deck nine on Wed, and by Friday, they reached our deck, 10. I think all staterooms have them by now.

Sorry, we did not photograph any menus, as we are somewhat challenged when it comes to capturing the images and downloading them here. However, I can say that there were always great choices, seafood, meat, fish in each of the MDR. One night, for example, they had prime rib, and they always have the salmon and "every night" menu items. Someone here posted menus from the Sun, not too long ago...if I find them I will post the link.

As for the ports, this trip was more about my sister having a real vacation, and because she has mobility issues, we did not really visit the ports.

We passed on Cozumel because she couldn't walk the length of the pier out to the port.

We did get into the port of Grand Cayman and tried to explore a bit, but mostly stayed very close to the NCL port area.

...and did the same at Falmouth, Jamaica (which is a neat port area, very new and full of people, shops and action).

We got off at Great Stirrup Cay, and I can tell you that the island will be just great when it is finished. They have plenty of chairs, a barbecue buffet, and many activities, and a band. It is really going to be a crown jewel for NCL when it is done.

We enjoyed our couple of hours there.

thanks so much! ill be on the sun in just a few more day!! cant wait! what was the best meal you had in the MDR?

There were several very enjoyable meals. I really like the Chicken dish at lunch. And the portabello mushroom appetizer at lunch.

The salmon is always very good. I enjoyed the eggplant also.

My sister really enjoyed the prime rib.

I tried a flat steak, but that was not very good.

Archived