How is the coffee on the Lido deck or room service?

CrusinAgain

I like my Keurig coffees , right now hooked on Dunkin donuts :) But I have no problem with coffee on the Lido deck or room service coffee, our last cruise our traveling mates always ordered 2 pots and we sat on the balconys and had coffee in the mornings and I was always late getting to it and it was always nice and HOT, and I cant stand luke warm coffee.

Room service for breakfast consists of fresh fruit, yogurt, dry cereal, condiments for coffee and tea, danish, muffins, bagels, milk, juice etc.

We order two pots of coffee, danish, and condiments for coffee, that gets us moving.

You can order as many danish as you want just specify when you put your Room Service tag out the night before. We also always tip our server $2 per room service visit. We have never had a problem with room service delivery, but then I always put the order out the night before I have never phoned anything in short notice.

Thank you. Good information to know. Treat your server right, he'll treat you right.

I always laugh when this posting pops up because people are SOOOOO different when it comes to their coffee.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Starbucks coffee, have one in my building at work, have my 20oz travel mug filled twice a day there. I also enjoy Tim Horton's & McDonald's coffee.....I find nothing wrong with the Lido deck or room service or MDR coffee. I drink it all the time & never had a bad cup (yet!).

If you have something at home you love, maybe bring an "instant" version of it in case you don't like what is offered. If the ship coffee is fine, then you still have your instants to use.

You're right. We all have different preferences when it comes to coffee. For us, Starbucks is too strong. Reminds me of what a relative of mine used to say. "If you put a spoon in it and it stands up, it's just right". We prefer ours just a little less robust.

I always laugh when this posting pops up because people are SOOOOO different when it comes to their coffee.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Starbucks coffee, have one in my building at work, have my 20oz travel mug filled twice a day there. I also enjoy Tim Horton's & McDonald's coffee.....I find nothing wrong with the Lido deck or room service or MDR coffee. I drink it all the time & never had a bad cup (yet!).

If you have something at home you love, maybe bring an "instant" version of it in case you don't like what is offered. If the ship coffee is fine, then you still have your instants to use.

I find it interesting. I actually don't have any instants at home and was use to bringing my little coffeemaker or kettle with me on Princess but Carnival doesn't allow it so I thought of the thermos idea so I can have my coffee right away in the morning. But I probably will buy some instant to have in case the hot water turns out to be hotter than the coffee like some folks have said

I forgot my thermos at home :mad:. But survived lol. I found for me, I have stomach problems, that I mixed Lido coffee 1/2 hot water 1/2 coffee black. Room service coffee is very bitter to me because it is full strength.

I have never tried the thermos method.....how long did you find that the water would stay hot enough to drink?

I have never tried the thermos method.....how long did you find that the water would stay hot enough to drink?

To the right of the coffee spigot is hot as heck water. Don't use the water by the ice machine. I found it by trial an error because when I first pushed that button I was not sure what I would get so used a cup to see. I was very relieved it was hottttt water. Add hot water first to thermos to heat it up..pour that out and refill with whatever dilution of the coffee works for you...just remember to use the spigot to the right of the "coffeemaker".

LOL..my last 2 lbs of grind it at home was so good everything tastes bad now..LOL..well 2 years ago i could stand it with half and half..but the cappacino in the dining room is good and i think you can get it free in there with breakfast or dinner right? I might take a single drip cone, fresh ground favorite and order a pitcher of hot water...keep it for filling..etc next time...Sarah

To the right of the coffee spigot is hot as heck water. Don't use the water by the ice machine. I found it by trial an error because when I first pushed that button I was not sure what I would get so used a cup to see. I was very relieved it was hottttt water. Add hot water first to thermos to heat it up..pour that out and refill with whatever dilution of the coffee works for you...just remember to use the spigot to the right of the "coffeemaker".

That is great information to know. Thanks so much. It now sounds doable and I have decided what instant coffee to bring. Hottttt water should be the one that stays well in the thermos overnite.

LOL..my last 2 lbs of grind it at home was so good everything tastes bad now..LOL..well 2 years ago i could stand it with half and half..but the cappacino in the dining room is good and i think you can get it free in there with breakfast or dinner right? I might take a single drip cone, fresh ground favorite and order a pitcher of hot water...keep it for filling..etc next time...Sarah

Well that's interesting. Do you think that will work just pouring it thru without the coffee maker? I thought I had tried that many years ago and couldn't get it right.

We're preparing for our first cruise, and we're pretty serious about our coffee. I was planning on bringing a french press, and I was just wondering how close to boiling I can get water delivered? Would the cabin steward be able to help, if we tipped him well? I was also thinking of trying to bring an immersion heater, haven't seen one in about 20 years but I've found that you can still get them. I'm wondering if a small immersion coil would be likely to be confiscated? Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

I can't find the answer to that one. I read when they confiscate items you get them back the morning of arrival. I have no idea if they have metal detectors or scan the bags like the airport. You can buy the immersion heaters on amazon and it appears some hardware stores like Ace has them.

Well that's interesting. Do you think that will work just pouring it thru without the coffee maker? I thought I had tried that many years ago and couldn't get it right.

The crazy thing is I bought mine on my way to picking up my cap and gown for college graduation in Salem ,Oregon..(many years ago LOL..many many years ago)...I am so sorry in advance i am a long story girl...I bought a french press, this orange plastic cone that is in my dish drainer as I speak, and a Krups Grinder. I still have and use all three..LOL...

The grinder plastic lid is a little uneven on the edge that hits the beans but perfectly fine..

The trick is to grind coffee real fine..and maybe use a tad more than other methods and then add a little fresh for your second cup and it goes slow enough to make good coffee.

I finally in last move got a little 4 cup maker and bought a big one for company years ago..I just love the small method.

I think in the years my family lived in remote remote..area as ranchers the big thing was having coffee at someone's house and long visits and you better be ready for the same if someone knocked on your door..and then there was the big meeting for coffee a half hour away in town!! I have a taste for a lot of types of coffee and just weaken it or add milk or cream..it's crazy but sometimes I like 'bad' coffee. I am drinking Foldger's instant now...i have it when in a mood.

But I lived 20 plus years after college in NW and want to get back..there I learned good good coffee..and there are some killer micro roasters here and in Idaho.

Also for whoever wants the french press..there is a cute thread here for that..and fancy ones that travel..more plastic I guess..

There is so much more to the story but I will stop for now....LOL...Sarah:)

The crazy thing is I bought mine on my way to picking up my cap and gown for college graduation in Salem ,Oregon..(many years ago LOL..many many years ago)...I am so sorry in advance i am a long story girl...I bought a french press, this orange plastic cone that is in my dish drainer as I speak, and a Krups Grinder. I still have and use all three..LOL...

The grinder plastic lid is a little uneven on the edge that hits the beans but perfectly fine..

The trick is to grind coffee real fine..and maybe use a tad more than other methods and then add a little fresh for your second cup and it goes slow enough to make good coffee.

I finally in last move got a little 4 cup maker and bought a big one for company years ago..I just love the small method.

I think in the years my family lived in remote remote..area as ranchers the big thing was having coffee at someone's house and long visits and you better be ready for the same if someone knocked on your door..and then there was the big meeting for coffee a half hour away in town!! I have a taste for a lot of types of coffee and just weaken it or add milk or cream..it's crazy but sometimes I like 'bad' coffee. I am drinking Foldger's instant now...i have it when in a mood.

But I lived 20 plus years after college in NW and want to get back..there I learned good good coffee..and there are some killer micro roasters here and in Idaho.

Also for whoever wants the french press..there is a cute thread here for that..and fancy ones that travel..more plastic I guess..

There is so much more to the story but I will stop for now....LOL...Sarah:)

Thanks Sarah, I knew there had to be a way. :)

I don't have a grinder or a French Press so looks like I will use instant or hot water whichever makes it better.

Thanks Sarah, I knew there had to be a way. :)

I don't have a grinder or a French Press so looks like I will use instant or hot water whichever makes it better.

You are welcome..some like those new coffee teabag things too have not seen them...love you Princess sigh by your name..I love all cruise lines..:)...only have been on 5..a different one each cruise..:).

I can agree with wanting good coffee as that is what makes or breaks a day for me, but after learning how Starbucks is treating our troops and being a veteran, I will never buy another of their products. They no longer exist to me.

I can agree with wanting good coffee as that is what makes or breaks a day for me, but after learning how Starbucks is treating our troops and being a veteran, I will never buy another of their products. They no longer exist to me.

I'll have to research what you are talking about...can you believe it..we only have one here in our Barnes and Noble...bookstore..all the rest are local places..yeah the independent businessman....Sarah

You are welcome..some like those new coffee teabag things too have not seen them...love you Princess sigh by your name..I love all cruise lines..:)...only have been on 5..a different one each cruise..:).

I wasn't too impressed with the teabag type.

Do you have a favorite cruise line yet? We are still testing the waters even though we did reach platinum on Princess finally. We have never tried Celebrity or Holland America. Will only go on NCL again if the price is cheap and it isn't the Pearl.

I haven't heard about that but I ran a google search and they are claiming it is false what was said a number of years ago. Is this about the Marines?

Ok, a little dramatic for the title, but I...am....a coffee snob. I admit it. I'm comfortable with it. No need to flame me because of it...it is what it is.

I have choked down the headache-avoiding cup on carnival lido deck in the past and brought along Via (eh, not too great) and other instant packs (blech) to see if it's better and no luck. If I'm really desperate for the boost I'll head to the coffee place on board. So far it is better than lido. Never tried room service coffee. This year, since both hubby and I are coffee drinkers and we have a balcony, I plan to toss in my thermal, non glass french press and take along my own ground coffee premeasured for the press, hop up to lido for the hot tap, fill her up and go back to my room.

For those of you that are looking for a single cup solution....I discovered .....drum roll....the Melitta Pour Over System.

It is just a ceramic cone-filter apparatus not much bigger than a cappucchino mug that sits atop your coffee mug.

You grind your beans a bit coarser than espresso grind, but not to drip coarseness, measure it into a #2 cone filter in the filter cup, pour the water over the grounds, and let it drip into your cup. Voila! It was $13 at my local Starbucks. I would imagine some of the better, local, old school type coffee places and specialty kitchen gadget stores would likely carry it as well considering it was invented in 1908! Happy Hunting!

:D

Ok, a little dramatic for the title, but I...am....a coffee snob. I admit it. I'm comfortable with it. No need to flame me because of it...it is what it is.

I have choked down the headache-avoiding cup on carnival lido deck in the past and brought along Via (eh, not too great) and other instant packs (blech) to see if it's better and no luck. If I'm really desperate for the boost I'll head to the coffee place on board. So far it is better than lido. Never tried room service coffee. This year, since both hubby and I are coffee drinkers and we have a balcony, I plan to toss in my thermal, non glass french press and take along my own ground coffee premeasured for the press, hop up to lido for the hot tap, fill her up and go back to my room.

For those of you that are looking for a single cup solution....I discovered .....drum roll....the Melitta Pour Over System.

It is just a ceramic cone-filter apparatus not much bigger than a cappucchino mug that sits atop your coffee mug.

You grind your beans a bit coarser than espresso grind, but not to drip coarseness, measure it into a #2 cone filter in the filter cup, pour the water over the grounds, and let it drip into your cup. Voila! It was $13 at my local Starbucks. I would imagine some of the better, local, old school type coffee places and specialty kitchen gadget stores would likely carry it as well considering it was invented in 1908! Happy Hunting!

:D

Wonderful info! I will look into that. It sounds perfect. Thanks for posting. :)

I have tried and tried and tried to "like" the coffee from room service or on the Lido, but just can't stomach it. It is never hot enough for me, tastes like watered down mud and I just can't drink it.

I bring some Starbucks instant to get me through the first cup in the morning on the balcony with a pot of hot water from room service and then go up and spend the best $2 ever for a nice, steaming hot cup of freshly brewed "real" coffee.

To each their own . . . if the Carnival room service or Lido coffee tastes good to you, then save your money. I just can't do it . . .

I have tried and tried and tried to "like" the coffee from room service or on the Lido, but just can't stomach it. It is never hot enough for me, tastes like watered down mud and I just can't drink it.

I bring some Starbucks instant to get me through the first cup in the morning on the balcony with a pot of hot water from room service and then go up and spend the best $2 ever for a nice, steaming hot cup of freshly brewed "real" coffee.

To each their own . . . if the Carnival room service or Lido coffee tastes good to you, then save your money. I just can't do it . . .

And where do you go to find this good brewed coffee in the morning?

And where do you go to find this good brewed coffee in the morning?

Every ship has one or two places that sell coffee every day. One venue also sells desserts and specialty coffee drinks as well. On the Pride, I used to go to the back of the Lido deck in the morning where I met the handsome Italian officers drinking their obligatory cup of Italian espresso. I always ordered the $1.95 regular coffee which tasted delicious to me!

Every ship has one or two places that sell coffee every day. One venue also sells desserts and specialty coffee drinks as well. On the Pride, I used to go to the back of the Lido deck in the morning where I met the handsome Italian officers drinking their obligatory cup of Italian espresso. I always ordered the $1.95 regular coffee which tasted delicious to me!

Thank you. Its good to know exactly where it is good at if I had to pay money for some.

Archived