best way to get to Galveston ?

martini_guy

So here's my plan and my options, 4 of us are flying into Houston on the Friday night for a Sunday cruise. I'm planning on probably staying in the Galleria area for both nights before the cruise and do some sightseeing/shopping. My problem is, how do I get to Galveston from there?

It seems like every shuttle just picks up at the airport.

So here's the options that I've flushed out:

1) Taxi from hotel back to airport then take a shuttle (approx $30 taxi + 4x$80 shuttle both ways = $350)

2) Full size car rental, and leave it at the port all week (checked on Hotwire around $400 + $40 parking)

Car rental would probably be more convenient, so should I just rent a car?

We live in Galveston so don't have a transportation problem to the port. However, as we fly into and out of Intercontinental Airport for the transtatlantic cruises, we have used Cornerstone Limousine in the past and love them. They charge $150 each way for a large, new SUV.

They are courteous, professional and arrive on time.

I'm looking at a similar scenario for our August trip on Magic. I found a great deal on a hotel in Clear Lake, near the NASA Space Center, which my family wants to visit.

Your scenario doesn't include whatever taxi fares you will have to pay when you go sightseeing/shopping on Saturday. I think in the end we'll just rent a car and park it. The cost is comparable either way and it gives you more flexibility/less waiting around for shuttles.

My sister spent the night in Houston as you are doing. They just took the hotel shuttle (free) back to the airport and then took the ship shuttle (costs) to the ship. Someone should start a car service to Galveston. I really think they could make some money. Or perhaps a rental drop off in Galveston could be opened. I'm retired and don't want a job, but someone could move into it.

Nancy

If the cruise lines are expanding into Galveston, one would think they would want to offer transport to the cruise pier. When planning a cruise, this is the type of issue that can kill the deal.

All of the lines do provide transfers from the houston airports to the Galveston pier... on the day of the cruise.

This doesn't always work out for those who come in earlier than the day of, and the cost of these transfers can quickly exceed other means of transportation if you have more than two people!

Archived