The New Tipping Rate ...it appears Carnival has there own tipping concept

bzpilot

don't cruise with CCL.

The best way to show your displeasure is to not buy the product.

I hear some say against my "principles" - if that is the case, how can you buy something that you feel is wrong.

If I feel that a company is underhanded - I will not be a customer - stick to your principles.

If the complaints are a way of justifying stiffing the workers, go on the cruise

Having the "tips" adjustable, you have options, pay them, give extra, give less or give nothing - your choice. If CCL raises the fare - no choice

I would prefer that CCL raise the fare, and upgrade the food and service, though I doubt that will happen.

CCL is the low cost provider - that is their target market.

$10 doesn't not upset me no matter how is is distributed - that is CCL choice - if you don't like it, take your business elsewhere, maybe then CCL will notice

We like the product and will continue to use it. At the moment plan to line up at guest services and adjust autotip. Probably will take the extra dollar going to alternative and distribute it to wait staff and room steward based on performance during the cruise.

don't cruise with CCL.

The best way to show your displeasure is to not buy the product.

I hear some say against my "principles" - if that is the case, how can you buy something that you feel is wrong.

If I feel that a company is underhanded - I will not be a customer - stick to your principles.

If the complaints are a way of justifying stiffing the workers, go on the cruise

Having the "tips" adjustable, you have options, pay them, give extra, give less or give nothing - your choice. If CCL raises the fare - no choice

I would prefer that CCL raise the fare, and upgrade the food and service, though I doubt that will happen.

CCL is the low cost provider - that is their target market.

$10 doesn't not upset me no matter how is is distributed - that is CCL choice - if you don't like it, take your business elsewhere, maybe then CCL will notice

They won't try to fix something that is not broken. Most mass market lines are set up the same way.

We like the product and will continue to use it. At the moment plan to line up at guest services and adjust autotip. Probably will take the extra dollar going to alternative and distribute it to wait staff and room steward based on performance during the cruise.

Stu:

Just a question, if you remove the extra to the alternative services do they take it straight out of who you don't want it to go to or do they adjust the whole 10.00 left as prorated to everyone?

Am I making sense?

Before I comment out of line I would just like to confirm that this was personally aimed at me.

lol actually it was not. surprise .. you are not the only airline pilot posting on this thread. I know several pilots and wives of several pilots who post on CC. I did not know you were a airline pilot .. but congrats if you are. Seems like it would be a great job, and you too get interline rates. No wonder you cruise Carnival.

I think removing tips is cheap .. no matter who is doing it. Its not aimed at any one person in particular. I am entitled to my opinion that there are a few of you coming here to post from the I hate Carnival page. In fact someone on my cruise last week mentioned it .. so Im not the only one thinking this.

Its a general comment of how I feel about people who remove tips.

I made sure to bring a envelope of small bills with me on the Magic preview and tipped for drinks, my waiter and my cabin steward. ... since everything was free. Im not a big tipper .. but Im also not a scrouge.

Nope, not aimed at you at all.

Stu:

Just a question, if you remove the extra to the alternative services do they take it straight out of who you don't want it to go to or do they adjust the whole 10.00 left as prorated to everyone?

Am I making sense?

I too am curious if you can adjust the tip. Has anyone actually adjusted the tip. (not removed it .. adjusted it)

I know on RCL its all or nothing on the automatic tip... so if you can remove just the $2, can someone confirm you can remove just part of the auto tip?

I agree with you 100%. I think telling people it's a service charge is much better then saying it's a tip. It's not. It's subsiding wages.

We own our own entertainment business and I would never in a million years write into our contracts a pre-paid tip. We quoted you a price and provide the service quoted in the price. If the customer feels that we preformed over or more then what was quoted, then they tip us.

It's like saying "Oh, my doctors office provided me with a clean examining table, let me tip them for it."

I agree with you 100%. I think telling people it's a service charge is much better then saying it's a tip. It's not. It's subsiding wages.

We own our own entertainment business and I would never in a million years write into our contracts a pre-paid tip. We quoted you a price and provide the service quoted in the price. If the customer feels that we preformed over or more then what was quoted, then they tip us.

It's like saying "Oh, my doctors office provided me with a clean examining table, let me tip them for it."

The tip is for service which is what they are providing us on Carnival. We already paid for everything else in our fare. Just as you would charge your customers in your contract......now they have the option to tip you for great service......

People are confusing service charges with tips.......Carnival does not charge a service charge regardless of what some people think......

lol actually it was not. surprise .. you are not the only airline pilot posting on this thread. I know several pilots and wives of several pilots who post on CC. I did not know you were a airline pilot .. but congrats if you are. Seems like it would be a great job, and you too get interline rates. No wonder you cruise Carnival.

I think removing tips is cheap .. no matter who is doing it. Its not aimed at any one person in particular. I am entitled to my opinion that there are a few of you coming here to post from the I hate Carnival page. In fact someone on my cruise last week mentioned it .. so Im not the only one thinking this.

Its a general comment of how I feel about people who remove tips.

I made sure to bring a envelope of small bills with me on the Magic preview and tipped for drinks, my waiter and my cabin steward. ... since everything was free. Im not a big tipper .. but Im also not a scrouge.

Nope, not aimed at you at all.

Thanks, for letting me know. Was a pilot before 9/11 but that day changed many of our lives. Got furloughed for awhile and bills needed to be paid so I decided a career change was needed. It didn't take me very long to decide what I thought I should do. I have been working as a FireFighter/EMT ever since and everyone knows how much we don't make! The paychecks are a lot different these days but I wouldn't change a thing.

The tip is for service which is what they are providing us on Carnival. We already paid for everything else in our fare. Just as you would charge your customers in your contract......now they have the option to tip you for great service......

People are confusing service charges with tips.......Carnival does not charge a service charge regardless of what some people think......

I never said they charged a service charge, just that calling it one is better then calling it a tip.

The service is already paid for in the fare. Unless you think if we don't pay it will be cooking and serving our meals, cleaning the cabins and bringing our drinks. A tip should be reserved for things like I forgot my glasses at the table and the waiter tracked them down for me not that you brought my food and refiled my drink.

Thanks, for letting me know. Was a pilot before 9/11 but that day changed many of our lives. Got furloughed for awhile and bills needed to be paid so I decided a career change was needed. It didn't take me very long to decide what I thought I should do. I have been working as a FireFighter/EMT ever since and everyone knows how much we don't make! The paychecks are a lot different these days but I wouldn't change a thing.

I can understand if money is tight, Iv been there myself, but then I stayed home and was not cruising when money gets tight. My life and money has always been up and down.

My uncle was a firefighter and got burned bad 3 times, so I know what a tough job it can be.

By Gene Sloan, USA TODAY

full story - http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/11/carnival-spirit-australia-cruise-lines/564952/1?csp=34travel&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TP-TheCruiseLog+%28Travel+-+The+Cruise+Log%29

Fed up with cruise lines that automatically add gratuities to your bill? You might want to sign up for industry giant Carnival's new voyages in Australia.

The Sydney Morning Herald today reports Carnival plans to do away with automatic tipping on the Carnival Spirit when it heads Down Under in 2012 as it "Aussifies" the ship.

"Tipping is not part of the culture for Australians, and we respect that," the Morning Herald quotes a Carnival executive as saying.

Carnival director Jennifer Vandekreeke tells the news outlet automatic tipping requirements are the number one cause of complaints Carnival gets from Australians sailing on its vessels.

I can understand if money is tight, Iv been there myself, but then I stayed home and was not cruising when money gets tight. My life and money has always been up and down.

My uncle was a firefighter and got burned bad 3 times, so I know what a tough job it can be.

Since this post began it has NEVER been about wanting to save a few bucks. If anything, I'm lobbying for paying more. Let's pay the people what they deserve in their salaries and lets fairly tip those who actually perform a service that should be tipped. I expect that when this is done I will pay more, and I'll be more than happy to do it.

I have never been one to just tip the flat rate either on a cruise. I tip on every drink (over the 15% automatic), I tip when the Piano Man plays my song, I tip the Steward anytime she comes to my room when I call, I tip the waiter after dinner on the first and last nights of the cruise and have always left all the standard flat rates in place along with this. I will always tip those who give me a a good personal face-to-face service.

I too am curious if you can adjust the tip. Has anyone actually adjusted the tip. (not removed it .. adjusted it)

I know on RCL its all or nothing on the automatic tip... so if you can remove just the $2, can someone confirm you can remove just part of the auto tip?

Yes you can adjust the auto tip and we have done it a few times.

A couple of years ago on the glory (I believe) noticed that the tables were not being cleaned nor were we ever offered a refill on drinks. Crew stood around talking.

Went to guest services and removed the dollar and added it to the tip of the waitstaff. Person at guest services asked why we were doing it and told them and they said something along the lines of I dont blame you.

I never said they charged a service charge, just that calling it one is better then calling it a tip.

The service is already paid for in the fare. Unless you think if we don't pay it will be cooking and serving our meals, cleaning the cabins and bringing our drinks. A tip should be reserved for things like I forgot my glasses at the table and the waiter tracked them down for me not that you brought my food and refiled my drink.

No the service is not paid for in the fare.....their salary is. The tip is for the service they provide us.......no need to call it any other thing than what it actually is.....a tip.

This is where you show your true colors. Make up your own rules just to have an excuse not to tip.

"Though by definition a tip is never legally required, and its amount is at the discretion of the patron being served"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_(gratuity)

ENOUGH SAID. never legally required and at the discretion of the patron (I.E. ME)

A couple of years ago on the glory (I believe) noticed that the tables were not being cleaned nor were we ever offered a refill on drinks. Crew stood around talking.

Went to guest services and removed the dollar and added it to the tip of the waitstaff. Person at guest services asked why we were doing it and told them and they said something along the lines of I dont blame you.

Good to know, thanks

"Though by definition a tip is never legally required, and its amount is at the discretion of the patron being served"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_(gratuity)

ENOUGH SAID. never legally required and at the discretion of the patron (I.E. ME)

Definition of DISCRETION

: the quality of having or showing discernment or good judgment :

: ability to makeresponsible decisions

Yep, tips are at your discretion and the guidelines (both for tipping ashore and onboard) are for adequate service which you may adjust up for exemplary service or down for substandard service.

I had no idea thanks for responding.

this is the second time i see you refer to this.

would you care to share what a i hate carnival page is? :confused:

I learned to fly planes when I was in the Air Force and it is a great thrill. Made for a great career as well! Glad to be retired now though.

just had to post...reading the above posts made me nostalgic...but I still fly every now and again..usually just filling in for one of the small private pilots if he/she has a gig and can't make it...they call me.

I was still a commercial pilot back then..and in the air as well....we were grounded in Seattle

No the service is not paid for in the fare.....their salary is. The tip is for the service they provide us.......no need to call it any other thing than what it actually is.....a tip.

Huh?

My fare pays the crew's salary, but it doesn't actually pay them to do anything ... so anything they actually do is compensated by a tip? Is that what you're really saying?

I still want to know why the doctor doesn't get tipped. He/she is in the service industry as well.

Huh?

My fare pays the crew's salary, but it doesn't actually pay them to do anything ... so anything they actually do is compensated by a tip? Is that what you're really saying?

I still want to know why the doctor doesn't get tipped. He/she is in the service industry as well.

Of course we as consumers pay for all cruise employee's salaries, whether it be in the fare, onboard purchase etc.......

Gratuties are for services rendered for employees employed in the service industry.

No..... doctors work in the medical industry not service industry......but I think you know this.:rolleyes:

Archived