Voyager of the Seas

SASMITH

We were on her last month, Adriatic cruise out of Venice. Beautiful ship! Very clean and well maintained. The crew is cheerful and helpful, the food is good to eat and very pretty on the plate *it's ridiculous how many photos I took of our dinners and desserts*. The shows were fun. As you can guess, we had a wonderful vacation on the Voyager and we are just a little jealous that you'll be seeing her again. Say hello to the old gal for us, will you? ;)

So glad she is coming to New Orleans. It's a fun place to sail from and very close to home for me. We sailed VOS out of Galveston a few years ago and absolutely loved the ship and the crew. The ice show was fabulous, thought the promenade was a great place to people watch and enjoyed the dining staff! It's absolutely beautiful. Hope you enjoy as much as we did.

We leave this Saturday on the Voyager and can't wait. We've heard nothing but rave reviews on the ship, entertainment, the crew, and even the unusual men's bathroom on Deck 11......Can't wait to see what the heck that's about!!! (I'm giving all the men fair notice......In the middle of the night, this female is peeking in there to see what all the fuss is about!!!)

If you're leaving on the Voyager, you might want to get to the cruise terminal early. The first cruise out of NO was delayed 4 hours due to slow security screening, computers going out.... people lined around the block for hours. Not off to a good start...

http://www.nola.com/travel/index.ssf/2011/11/royal_caribbeans_voyager_of_th.html

Just read about this weekend in NO and all of the problems, allow yourself extra time and patience

http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2011/11/14/live-from-voyager-of-the-seas-a-big-but-not-easy-embarkation/

Thanks for the link. Being from NOLA and having used that terminal several times, I wasn't expecting anything different. The way the terminal is set up and the location (right behind the massive convention center) has always set them up for trouble. I have never, ever had a smooth embarkation or debarkation out of NOLA. I love my city, and I absolutely love cruising down the River, but boy oh boy do they need to work on the training of the staff at the terminal. Computer malfunctions and escalator problems just added to it.

They do seem to have more problems there than at any other port building we have gone out of. Last cruise, we were held up so long trying to get on, we missed the life boat drill and we were there at 11:30 trying to board! We never heard what the hold up was. They held about 100 of us up for a long, long time. They moved us from one side to the other and back and forth. It was Carnival and we have gone down and out on Carnival before and had long wait time but never that long. Hope RC gets it going after the first week!!

We leave this Saturday on the Voyager and can't wait. We've heard nothing but rave reviews on the ship, entertainment, the crew, and even the unusual men's bathroom on Deck 11......Can't wait to see what the heck that's about!!! (I'm giving all the men fair notice......In the middle of the night, this female is peeking in there to see what all the fuss is about!!!)

You don't need to wait until the middle of the night as I have seen ladies exiting that restroom in the middle of the day:eek::D!

Thanks for the link. Being from NOLA and having used that terminal several times, I wasn't expecting anything different. The way the terminal is set up and the location (right behind the massive convention center) has always set them up for trouble. I have never, ever had a smooth embarkation or debarkation out of NOLA. I love my city, and I absolutely love cruising down the River, but boy oh boy do they need to work on the training of the staff at the terminal. Computer malfunctions and escalator problems just added to it.

Yikes I didn't need to hear that this port having troubles all the time. I was hoping it was just a fluke of thing since a bigger ship there. I sure hope they get some of the kinks out of the way before I get there in Jan.

I have been spoiled with Port Canaveral most of the time so will have to let husband know it is not going to be as smooth. What time do people starting get at this port. We always tried to get at Port Canaveral around 10:30 am and had such good luck there.

Yikes I didn't need to hear that this port having troubles all the time. I was hoping it was just a fluke of thing since a bigger ship there. I sure hope they get some of the kinks out of the way before I get there in Jan.

I have been spoiled with Port Canaveral most of the time so will have to let husband know it is not going to be as smooth. What time do people starting get at this port. We always tried to get at Port Canaveral around 10:30 am and had such good luck there.

It's hard to say. It will depend on how many other cruisers are trying to arrive that early. There always seems to be a delay debarking in NOLA, so at 10 - 10:30 you will have a bulk exiting the ship. The terminal, due to where it's situated (behind a massive, often booked out, convention center) has trouble handling a huge traffic influx of passengers trying to get out as a bunch are trying to get in.

So, in NOLA, it basically depends on if you're lucky and arrive between the bursts of passengers.

I do think all of the "New Terminal" kinks will be worked out fairly quickly. That's what added to the mess for the opening cruise. It's usually never that bad, just not as smooth as say Ft. Lauderdale.

I just check the convention hall web site, and there is only 1 activity happening that day. So...that should lessen the situation somewhat.

Can you share the website for the convention hall? We are on the VOS 3/17/12 sailing. It would be nice to be able to check closer to our departure date to see if we need to get there early. The website I found doesn't seem to list events.

You won't notice the view at night. Maybe check it right at dawn, or have hubby see if the coast is clear during the day. (Likely it is not since it is right outside the buffet.)

Some tips -- there are many more on other threads...

* See Derek Lewis in the English Pub (Pig and Whistle) on deck 5, most nights.

* See the helipad, deck 5 all the way forward outside. Go outside on deck 4 and walk up, or go out a door on the side of Cleopatra's Needle (the deck 5 forward lounge).

* Deck 4 outside is a good place during the day.

* Cafe Promenade is free.

I've cruised with the Voyager of the Seas 5 times and loved each one. I hope NOLA gets the departure fixed. By the way, the article said that the Carnival Triumph had been the largest ship from NOLA. Not true. The Carnival Conquest was from Nola until hurricane Katrina in 2005, when it moved to Galveston. Now it is back in NOLA.

Was on the Voyager out of Galveston this past April. Great ship, very clean, awesome staff. Hope you have Daniel and Anthony in the MDR they are the best (in my opinion). I did peek in that crazy men's room, after hubby checked the coast....lol. Have lots of fun!

Archived