How old does an infant

picklebongo

Also just so you know children under the age of 2 should not be charged the $11.50 per day gratuity~

Are you trying to be funny, controversial or serious? I sail on Nov. 26th & as far as I know, I will be charged the daily gratuity for him. I think everyone helping us will have certainly earned it! :D

Are you trying to be funny, controversial or serious? I sail on Nov. 26th & as far as I know, I will be charged the daily gratuity for him. I think everyone helping us will have certainly earned it! :D

From Carnivals FAQs:

top.gif TopWhat is the tipping policy onboard?

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $11.50 per guest, per day as follows(our recommended guideline effective voyages departing December 1, 2011 and onward):

$ 3.70 - Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.80 - Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 2.00 - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $11.50 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered.

NOTE: BARBADOS CRUISES

All gratuities are pre-paid and automatically added during the booking process for Barbados itineraries.

*Gratuities do not apply to guests less than 2 years of age.

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?icid=CC_Header_466#q-544396

From Carnivals FAQs:

top.gif TopWhat is the tipping policy onboard?

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $11.50 per guest, per day as follows(our recommended guideline effective voyages departing December 1, 2011 and onward):

$ 3.70 - Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.80 - Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 2.00 - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $11.50 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered.

NOTE: BARBADOS CRUISES

All gratuities are pre-paid and automatically added during the booking process for Barbados itineraries.

*Gratuities do not apply to guests less than 2 years of age.

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?icid=CC_Header_466#q-544396

Well how about that! I'd budgeted auto gratuity for 3! Thanks for the clarification! Although, based on what I've read others say about the staff & their toddlers, I think they will have earned a bonus! Thanks again!! I really didn't know the intent of the post that said you didn't have to pay tips for someone under 2.

Well how about that! I'd budgeted auto gratuity for 3! Thanks for the clarification! Although, based on what I've read others say about the staff & their toddlers, I think they will have earned a bonus! Thanks again!! I really didn't know the intent of the post that said you didn't have to pay tips for someone under 2.

I would imagine it is most appropriate to leave extra (your call on the amount) for your stewards and waitstaff. Enjoy your cruise.

I thought the age of travel was six weeks. A friend is booked for an August cruise and found out she's pregnant. The baby will only be six weeks at the time of sailing. Oh well...next year perhaps for her.

Really, how wise would that be to take a 6 week old baby on a cruise ship?

She did not say she was taking a 6 week old child so it really is a non issue here.

She said she thought the age of travel was six weeks old. Meaning, that she thought the cruise line would be OK with six week old infants traveling on board.

So, yeah, the question stands.

Really, how wise would that be to take a 6 week old baby on a cruise ship?

Per the Carnival Ticket Contract:

Therefore, the Guest agrees not to book a cruise or board the ship unless on the day of disembarkation she is pregnant for 24 completed weeks or less, nor for or with infants less than six months old--for trans-ocean crossings, South America and Hawaii the infant must be at least twelve months of age at the time of embarkation to sail.

We were just on the Carnival Pride (end of Oct) and knowing the 6 month rule, I was surprized to see a 4-month old onboard. No one said anything to her or her husband so maybe they let babies on that look atleast 6 months old?

According to the rules a 4 month old is not allowed onboard~(see above) so I have no idea how they got the baby onboard since they would need the birth certificate~ only thing I can think of is the baby was 2 months premature and they are going by the due date and not the actual birth date??:confused:

Tbay you were right, I did not indicate that this person was going to take a six week old on the cruise, I just made a comment that I thought that was the age. Roscoe you are also right, it would not make sense for an individual to take an infant that young on a cruise because they are still so vulnerable.

They used to allow even younger babies onboard but an incident on RCCL a couple of years ago (baby was quite ill but parents waited until ship had left port before reporting it because they didn't want to miss out on their cruise) caused most of the cruiselines to up the age limits. I believe the limits used to be 4 months (or not at all on some cruiselines) so it's possible the family with the 4 month old booked before the change and was grandfathered in (or got an exception).

for our under two= we did not put the tips on automatic. We tipped the room steward and the dining room team in cash her amounts.

Archived