Dave Koz and Friends at Sea 9/26/12, a Smooth Jazz Cruise on Royal Caribbean’s Serena

Jabby

I'd love to go on one of Dave Koz's cruises in the future. The cruise itself is in our budget but I'm not sure the airfare would be! We're "young" (compared to most on the smooth jazz cruise) and just don't make enough to do everything we'd love to do. Maybe in a few years! I love reading about people's plans though! I'm currently impatiently waiting the Smooth Jazz Cruise to set the date for 2014 so we can plan our wedding around it!

We are in for a Big Surprise September 21-24 in Barcelona !!!!!!!!!!!!! The City will be celebrating its annual La Merce Festival-- kind of like our New Orleans Mardi Gras --Read below what La Merce is all about:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

La Mercè (Catalan pronunciation: [ɫə mərˈsɛ]) is the annual festival (festa major in Catalan) of the city of Barcelona in Catalonia, Spain. It has been an official city holiday since 1871, when the local government first organized a program of special activities to observe the Roman Catholic feast day of Our Lady of Mercy, La Mare de Déu de la Mercè in Catalan. Although the actual feast day is September 24, the festivities begin a few days beforehand.

Some of the most important features of the festival were introduced in the year 1902, when parades included papier maché “giants” known as gegants i capgrossos, the first Castell competition in the city, and a popular dance from Empordà that was becoming popular throughout Catalonia: the Sardana[citation needed]. The holiday has enjoyed immense local popularity ever since.

Among more recently introduced traditions are the annual Catalonian Wine Fair, a special correfoc, a 10 KM race and the pyro-musical, a display featuring synchronized fireworks, water fountains and music conducted at the base of the Montjuïc mountain.

I've been told if your hotel is on Las Ramblas to request a room at the back of the hotel because the partying/revelry outside goes on til 3:00/4:00 AM. This is the biggest festival the city puts on, so please don't wait to make your hotel reservations if you're doing a pre-cruise stay, September 21 thru 24. Shakergirl

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all. Haven't bean on the board in a while. Had a real scare. Because of some complicated factors thought I might have to pull the plug on this cruise! :eek: Went so far as to talk to the folks at Flying Dutchmen. But, the issues are working out and I'm now back on track! :) The problem with booking a year in advance is that sooo much can happen. I've always been sort of a lock and go, last minute traveler! Shakergirl, I see I missed out on joining your Italy excursions because we have 3, and you now have only 2 spots. Oh well, couldn't be helped, but I least I am back on track!!! I'll be happy when I am on the plane to Barcelona!!:cool:

Does everyone know that we'll be receiving a special "gift" in the mail soon? Flying Dutchman Dave mentioned it yesterday and no cajoling on my part could get him to divulge what it is ;)

Im flying out in 41 days!!!!!!! Ive started staging my packing - suitcase in spare room with things that must go (formal wear, special shoes)...too exciting!

I got the same mailing, but other than a letter and Dave Koz Cruise luggage tags inside, there was nothing else there. I wouldn't consider luggage tags as a gift so maybe this referenced gift is coming in a separate mailing. My curiosity is sparked. If anyone gets the "GIFT" LET US KNOW, PLEASE! Shakergirl

Folks, in case you've not made shore excursion reservations, here is an update of what I have available: I have two seats available on my Rome in Limo Tour minivans for both Naples port and the Livorno (Florence) port. I have 2 seats available for the Riviera Premium Day Tours minivan at the Villafrance (Nice) port. If you are interested in sharing any of these air conditioned Mercedes minivans (8 passengers), please email me at sgcraig1@aol.com. Reminder on advance museum entry tickets to avoid long waiting lines: go to the website: Tickitaly.com and purchase those tickets. For folks who are in my Rome vans, request your Vatican Museum time as 9:30 AM. on Saturday, September 29th. Purchase the 1/2 hour Coliseum tour for 3:00 PM the same day which includes the ticket price. The Accademia (David) ticket should be purchased for Sunday, September 30th at 12:30 PM.

Shakergirl

Well I am officially preparing for this cruise now that we are in the one month countdown. And to REALLY, REALLY get myself in the mood, I just went to Koz' summer tour concert. Absolutely off the hook! THAT definitely worked! Now I can't wait! I putting on a Koz CD and going to sleep, dreaming the cruise.:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Contemplating going on the Oct 2013 Smooth Jazz Cruise West Coast Edition, but have heard that there are long lines for the smaller lounges/venues on the ship. Have also heard fans/cruisers being turned away because the smaller venue is filled to capacity. Any truth to this?

Contemplating going on the Oct 2013 Smooth Jazz Cruise West Coast Edition, but have heard that there are long lines for the smaller lounges/venues on the ship. Have also heard fans/cruisers being turned away because the smaller venue is filled to capacity. Any truth to this?

Yes, some of the lounges on the Westerdam are small and I've seen late comers have to watch from the hallway. We always tried to get there a little and have a seat, so we've never had a problem. Sometimes the lines for the main shows are quite long, but generally everyone has a seat.

don't let the perceived lines discourage you from booking the 2013 west coast edition of the Smooth Jazz Cruise (Brian Culbertson is an incredible host)..The Eurodam is newer (2008) and sliightly bigger (2104 guests) then the Westerdam (2004 & 1916 guests) with a slightly different public room layout...as Vivavegas correctly noted, seating for the main showroom is tied to dining times, so there are seats (remember, there really are no bad seats in the main showroom)...the smaller lounges will require planning because they fill up quickly, but often if you show up for the 2nd half of the show you can find a seat, ..

The Carnival Conquest style ships (Freedom, Liberty, Valor, Glory) are much more condusive to full charter music cruises but have the same challenges about the smaller venues filling up quickly but by using the atrium and the cigar lounge to schedule additional concerts at the same time it "spreads" the crowds that can not be seated in the mid size venue

Also remember if there is a particular artist that you want to see, that is scheduled for a smaller venue, if you can't get a seat, the artist will be performing with other artists at their concert, or the piano bar or of course the midnight allstar jam sessions and the mid day pool deck concerts

Yes there are lines but folks in line are alot of fun to interact with because everyone has the common bond of the music.

Book it soon, because with that awesome line up it's going to sell out quickly...if we were not already booked on the 2013 Capital Jazz SuperCruise Nov 2-10, we would he joining you

• 2 weeks later...

I think we all needed to recover from this trip! What an AMAZING cruise this was - from the ports to the entertainment...Koz and crew did a FANTASTIC job of organizing this trip!

Regarding the day trips, my friends and I booked private driving tours for each day in Italy through Rome Driving Tours. I can HIGHLY recommend these guys - not only was their English impeccable, they were knowledgeable, friendly, funny, and lord, were they gorgeous men! :)

Michael Bolton made an appearance on ship for one night of entertainment - what a show he puts on! Amazing!

Even DW3 played their hearts out!

My only regret is that there was SO much to see and do that I couldnt do it all. I couldnt be physically in more than one place at one time! Oh, and lack of sleep too LOL! GREAT trip, if I could afford it, I would go on next year's cruise to Greece and Sicily!

Archived