Walkie Talkie Communication

spender$

Good morning,

We used to take them when our kids where at the pre-teen age, but we found it was great in theory but not in application. I love my youngest daughter but she leaves a trail of stuff where ever she goes. She gets it from her mom because half the time I left mine in the room.

Sue

We took them once.... once. As others have said there are better ways to stay in touch, it is a big ship but shrinks quite a bit once you know it. There is also the possibility that the way it is used will truly annoy your fellow passengers, this has been a cause for much debate on cruise boards.

We took them once.... once. As others have said there are better ways to stay in touch, it is a big ship but shrinks quite a bit once you know it. There is also the possibility that the way it is used will truly annoy your fellow passengers, this has been a cause for much debate on cruise boards.

Well stated and no need for me to comment further.

MJ

The other issue is to find a private channel may be a challenge. It seems that there are lots of groups that use them, some with kids using a channel endlessly.

Still I have used them, they offer some degree of connectivity, but not as good as a cell phone. cell phone rates at sea can be very high though. I think I like them (the walkie-talkies) better than the DW does.

Also they aren't always effective. If you are on a low floor towards the front, it may not work calling someone on a high deck towards the back. The ship has quite a bit of shielding in between you in that case.

Between the kids constant banter on a variety of channels and the shielding effect we kind of gave up on the use onborad ship. They do offer some utility in port if you and the spouse are shopping one of those marketplace bizarre setups and want to look at different things but still want to be connected.

Never tried CB, but took FRS radios on one cruise. Pretty much useless, as the ships are made of much steel which tends to block radio signals. I would imagine CB radios, which are on a lower frequency, would be worse.

Also, U.S. CB and FRS radios might not be legal in the waters of another country. Every country has its own rules on communications radios. DON'T use one in port unless you research that country and its rules on 2-way radios and know for certain that it is permitted.

There is also the possibility that the way it is used will truly annoy your fellow passengers, this has been a cause for much debate on cruise boards.

In 18 cruises I can say I have never been annoyed by people using two-way radios.

We're not sailing in a library. In fact, most areas on a cruise ship are quite noisy: pool areas, Horizon Court and other areas are not quiet at all. Many Princess personnel carry and use two-way radios.

Also, the chance that you will be within earshot of someone using a two-way radio is quite small. Very few cruisers use them.

Treat anyone using a two-way in a disturbing manner as you would anyone else. Inform them they are annoying others around them.

IMHO there are so many other annoying things people do onboard, the annoyance factor of two-way radios pale in comparison. How about pool chair hogs; loud people in the halls at 3:00am; people touching all the food with their fingers in the buffet line; people saving seats in Princess Theater; t-shirts and jeans in full service restaurants on formal night; and many, many more....

Lew

We traveled once with a couple who used walkie talkies. This was not a cruise but a land vacation. As my friend and I got onto an elevator her DH said something to her over the walkie talkie. She responded by saying, "where are you?" His reply----I'm on the toilet. Every head in the elevator turned toward her and she turned many shades of red. Needless to say the walkie talkies stayed in the hotel room for the remainder of the trip.:eek:

My husband is a late sleeper and we found the Motorola 35 mile radio perfect. I keep it on when I leave the room in the morning (whether I am on the ship or in port). He turns his radio on when he wakes up and radios me. I periodically radio him without fear of waking him, since he keeps the radio off until he wakes up. The system works for us; we do not use the radio for conversations, just for him to let me know he is awake and for me to let him know where I am so we can meet. Saves me from going back to the room to see if he is awake.

We find FRS radios to be very helpful when we cruise. Oftentimes, my wife and I go in different directions and it's nice to meet up (especially when one of us actually scores two lounge chairs somewhere on the ship). It's also really nice when you a travelling with a group and are using more than one cabin.

Post it Notes!!!!!!

The radio's are a huge annoyance and often have crowded channels. You are on a ship with multiple decks made of steel which significantly impact overall reception.

In the mail slot outside the room, put some post its and a pen. Works like a charm in making arrangements.

Happy Cruising:D:D

I didn't say it annoyed me.

What I said was there was a way to use them that could annoy fellow passengers, this left room for the possibility that they be used correctly and implied there was a wrong way to do so also. Perhaps this hadn't been considered by the OP and they now would.

I also said that the topic has been debated many times here on the board because it stirs emotions as it evidently did with you.

I too have sailed a great many times and coincidentally have had fellow passengers use WT's in the library, they ducked in there because it was quiet (before they got there) and they couldn't hear the other party out in the noisy main atrium.

By the way you missed the all time favorite "pool diapers" on your list of cruise controversies. :D

In 18 cruises I can say I have never been annoyed by people using two-way radios.

We're not sailing in a library. In fact, most areas on a cruise ship are quite noisy: pool areas, Horizon Court and other areas are not quiet at all. Many Princess personnel carry and use two-way radios.

Also, the chance that you will be within earshot of someone using a two-way radio is quite small. Very few cruisers use them.

Treat anyone using a two-way in a disturbing manner as you would anyone else. Inform them they are annoying others around them.

IMHO there are so many other annoying things people do onboard, the annoyance factor of two-way radios pale in comparison. How about pool chair hogs; loud people in the halls at 3:00am; people touching all the food with their fingers in the buffet line; people saving seats in Princess Theater; t-shirts and jeans in full service restaurants on formal night; and many, many more....

Lew

Archived