Dream vs. Celebrity Constellation

stan1

We are planning a Baltic cruise this summer. Celebrity Constellation is a newer and premium ship but the NCL Dream has better sailing dates for our other plans. My prior NCL experience has been small cabins, super entertainment,average food, fair service, while Celebrity is excellent in all areas. Pricing and itineraries are amazingly similar, but Dream dates are better. I realize that NCL has changed many things, and now offers anytime dining. Have any of you who have sailed on the Dream also been on any of the Celebrity Millennium class ships be willing to comment on the differences, other than that Celebirty is newer and bigger. Any help appreciated. Thanks

We are booked on the 9/10 Dream Baltic. From all I've read on this board, a huge advantage to the Dream is the Kiel Canal. The Dream is one of the few ships that transits the canal and it sounds like it is not to be missed. This is such a port intensive cruise that all we care about is having somewhere to sleep! But seriously, we were on the Dream on the 11/30 voyage out of New Orleans and we have absolutely no complaints about it. Can't compare w/Celebrity -- we haven't been on any of their cruises. Whatever you decide, Happy Sailing!

Sue

9/10 Dream Baltic cruise
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;9;10;16;0;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]

9/22 Dream Transatlantic cruise
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;9;22;16;0;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]

We were on the Celebrity Constellation Baltic Sea trip last summer. The ship is beautiful, the food great, entertainment wonderful. The highlight of the trip for us was St. Petersburg. I haven't sailed the Dream, but there is a wealth of information on the Baltic Sea board - maybe you should post this there and see if you find someone that's done both. The Constellation was wonderful.

Cunard Princess'83 - Caribbean
Royal Cruise Line '86 - Asia
Disney Magic Millenium Cruise
Sun Princess '00 Alaska
Golden Princess01Mediterranean
Grand Princess '02 W Caribbean
Grand Princess '02 E Caribbean
Mercury '03 Ca. Coastal
Constellation '03 Baltic Sea
Disney Magic '04 W. Caribbean

Well, I think I'm in position to answer your question somewhat definitively...as I just sailed the Dream April 7th Rome to London 12 nights....and also sailed the Constellation Sept 2002 Barcelona 10 day western Med. We enjoyed both cruises immensely. So I don't think you can go wrong with either ship. Despite all the negative comments on this board, the Dream "far exceeded our expectations" to borrow a phrase from Celebrity. But you must realize...you are comparing apples and maybe not oranges...but a different type of apple. The Constellation is in a different class. So for me, in making that comparison, this would be my criteria. Big #1 price. #2 itinerary. #3 experience desired quasi-luxury vs. standard cruise. Look, imo you can't go wrong with either cruise...but if the price is similar...you'd be crazy not to opt for the Constellation. The only qualifier might be the ports. We sailed the Dream because the itinerary was one of the best we've seen in Western Europe. The price was also fantastic. But if I can get the same price on the Constellation with fairly similar ports, I would take the Constellation 99 times out of 100.

Having sailed the Baltics on the Dream, and on Celebrity, I would add the additional qualifier of Freestyle. I believe that structured time based dining holds in the Baltics on Celeb. With no alternative dining and set times, you might struggle making meals. In St. Petersburg for example, our day excursion ended at 5, and the bus to the ballet left at 7, so the Freestyle dining was a huge advantage. We found the foon on the Dream excellent. And we are not lovers of McDonalds fare. Personally, I would do the Dream again, and had planned to before they pulled her for next season from the Baltics. But Freestyle can be a huge difference on a port intensive trip like this.

Aloha Hawaii from LA via San Francisco
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;6;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

I haven't sailed the Dream, but from what I have read the cabins are much larger than many NCL ships. Actually the only NCL ship with really tiny cabins is the Sea. We were on the Connie last November; had a balc cabin same as we had on the Sun a year earlier. Size wise they were identical: 171sq ft I believe. We loved the Connie but missed freestyle cruising and the entertainment though better than we expected was not as good as NCLs. The T pool on the Connie and the spa were the outstanding features for us. If if were me I would go with whatever fits into your time frame. By the way, as for food: we did find the Connie a little better, but certainly not as much so as we expected. NMNita

Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004

We sailed on the baltic dream trip last year and are doing the constellation this year for comparison. You seriously need to look at the kiel canal transit as being a unique experience with the dreams collapsing funnel making it the biggest ship to go through the canal and the welcome from the locals over the 9 hour transit is exceptional with crowds at the canalside in various places.

If you e-mail me at [email]Jamesshannon@blueyonder.co.uk[/email] I will send you a review of last year to help your decision

The baltic trip is outstanding on eithership and the ports great

happy cruising

Norwegian Dream April 2003
CONSTELLATION BALTIC CRUISE
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]

soon to be on board .Thats the life
Constellation MAY 22ND 2004

I haven't sailed the Dream or Constellation but I have sailed NCL (Dawn) & Celebrity (Galaxy & Century) All I can say is there is a huge difference in both lines & without any question regarding everything there is to judge Celebrity wins hands down. What a dissapointment NCL is... Celebrity has amazing shows,food,service,childrens service's ect...

susan

Archived