Le Cordon Bleu Cooking Workshop

Lv2sail

My DH and I will be on the November 6 Grand Crossing from Monte Carlo to FLL. The first 7 days are pretty port intensive. RSSC is offer this workshop and I was wondering if anyone has taken it. If so, please let me know how you liked it, when it took place and if it's worth the money.

I was hoping this was being offered on the Atlantic Crossing portion, but it looks like it will be the first part of the cruise. Go figure!

I did in on the Mariner a couple of years ago. It was great fun and I really enjoyed it. There were three class sessions, a market visit, a dinner, and a 'graduation' ceremony. I thought it was expensive for three classes but it really was a good time and I'd do it again if I was sure we'd cook different dishes. Just know you don't get any theory but you prepare and then eat three recipes (an appetizer, a main dish, and dessert).

MarnaLou

We have taken the Cordon Bleu course 3 times (twice on the Mariner and once on the Voyager). The chefs and the RSSC cruise staff have always cross-checked their records to make sure that no one is repeating any of the dishes. We happily sign up for these courses on any cruise on which they are offered. They are great fun.

BTW, we were on last November's Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale 15 day transatlantic cruise and the Cordon Bleu course was given during the ocean crossing, not during the port intensive part of the cruise. In fact, the Cordon Bleu chef didn't even get on the ship until Santa Cruz de Tenerife. All of the classes that we have had on RSSC have taken place on sea days and I would be really surprised if that policy were to be changed.

I did the Cordon Bleu classes on last spring's crossing, and all classes were on the second leg with all sea days. I'm already signed up for this fall as well. Obviously, it was great fun or I wouldn't be doing it again. Although I never tried to replicate the recipes, I did learn some new technique that made it worth getting up early on a sea day!

We did souffles for the dessert course and the chef's struggle to help us get all nine of our souffles ready to pop it in the oven at the exact same time was a comic highlight of the class. Wonder if he'll ever try that again!

• 2 weeks later...

We took the classes on last fall's crossing....fantastic. We ended up with a bonus fourth class. In addition, we have been able to email instructor with questions after we returned.

A great experience!

Marc

PS I agree, they will be on the transatlantic portion; not the Med segment.

Archived