Renting a car Maui

kimala

I'm starting to get upset Really Really didnt want to give in and rent a car in Maui but having mega trouble trying to get any info on transportation within Maui. Well be docked in N. Maui on POA and need to get family of 4 to Lahaina Luau and also need to get to Makena to take dive trip to Molokini. So I give up my hubby is against driving so Ill just have to buck up. Is it possible to make up my mind when I get there or do I need to reserve a car now? Were going May 1st Maui will be the 6th and 7th...Beginning to BUM OUT!!!! instead of enjoy!

If you're doing private tours on Maui, then you really have no choice but to get a rental car. While there is public bus, the schedule is too spread out and the distances too great to be covered easily and to be convenient. You will probably be OK renting the car when you get to Maui though if you wanted to be SURE, it's better to rent it and cancel it if you don't need it. Most rental car agencies (the major ones anyway) just require a credit card number to hold the reservation and if you don't show, won't charge you anyway.

Spleen

Kimala ~

My husband wanted NOTHING to do with renting a car. (Roads are narrow and we heard 'stories') He did NOT want to drive. By the time we got to Maui I think he felt that YES, renting a car it would be the best thing to do to see what we wanted to see it on OUR time. So .... I called the Budget 800 number. There were four of us so I rented a four door economy car. $17.99 for the day. A new Chevy Cavilair with AC. Perfect for the narrow roads.

There is a shuttle that will pick you up at the pier and bring you to the airport. Just a short ride.

Bon Voyage!

PS...... we should have rented a car in Kauaii too. :-(

We are cruising on the POA May 15th. I just rented from National Car Rental for $18.95 for a full size car. An intermediate was $16.95 per day. We are going to the beach, shopping and the Old Lahaina Luau so felt we should have a car large enough for the four of us. I read on a different post that they had their car broken into and a wallet and ship cards stolen, so had lots of trouble getting back on board and on the plane without id. Make sure you do not leave anything in the car when you park it.

Does anyone know if the rental car agencies provide shuttle transportation to the airport in Maui from dock side in Lahaina? We want to rent a car from Thrifty Car Rental and were wondering if they provide any shuttle service ?

I would doubt it. The distance to be covered from Lahaina to Kahului airport would be prohibitive for a car rental shuttle bus. They would be more likely to try to take you to the Lahaina/Kaanapali location (if Thrifty has one on that side)

Spleen

Just to clarify something, there is the Kapalua Airport on the west side of Maui, which is near where the rental agencies are located. If you reserve your car on line, use the airport code of JHM. The code for the Kahului Airport is OGG.

Posted this last year on CC, always worth a look:

We don't want anyone to get confused about

the locations of the ports on Maui. I've made up

a PDF file that has a map of the island and

points out the two cruise ports. I've added

a few notes on each port, but don't consider this

a tourist guidebook.

The link is at:

http://www219.pair.com/swansonr/pics/maui2.pdf

The map file is courtesy of:

http://www.mapgraphics.com/images/maui.jpg

If you don't already have a PDF reader for your

computer, get a free copy at:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Question,

What happens if you rent a car for 2 days on Maui and if NCL decides it has to leave for whatever reason, and does not stay in port for the 2 days, what happens???

Has anyone had this happen to them?

Read the fine print in Hawaii car rental agreements. Many roads are excluded and you are not allowed to drive on them. If you are not going in the direction of a non-allowed road no problem. But if you are and you have a problem you than have a very really big problem very fast and very costly.

Archived