Packing for a 4 month old

globalwife

We are taking our baby girl on her first cruise in a month. She is going to be 4 months old at the time of sailing. (BTW- Thanks to this board, we decided to not to cancel our reserved cruise that we booked a year and a half ago, long before we knew she would be joining our family). It is a 7 night cruise with two sea days with Pullmantur. I need to know what to pack. Obviously, I need plenty of clothes and diapers but what else is important that I might forget. She is exclusively breastfed. However, I think I should take some formula and bottles just in case but have no idea how much or what kind. I do have an unopened can of powder that is lactose free, will that work? Pullmantur provides free bottles of water, I can just use those if i have to use the formula, right? What else are must for m to make sure to pack for her? any medicine other than Tylenol drops?

Our first cruise with baby is at 13 months, but I have traveled a lot with him previously. The good thing was that at 4 months he was a lot easier to travel with than at 9 months!

I would talk to your pediatrician about what would be the best formula. We never used it either, but our pediatrician recommended a specific brand (Good Start, I think). Also ask about the water. I know that up until a certian age, many find it necessary to use boiled or purified water, while others don't. You might want to invest in a breast pump, even a hand held one, just in case.

For other stuff, I would bring lots of extra clothes unless they have laundry on board. In addition to tylenol I would bring gas drops, gripe water, and maybe even infant/child sypositories (I have no idea how to spell that) in case of constipation. I'm not sure if 4 months is too young, but I know that we have used Baby Vicks Vapor Rub when our son had a chest cold (can't remember what age).

Anything you use for your night time routine, an infant bath and little toys.

That's all I can think of. When we traveled we were lucky to have access to stores if we forgot items, but I tended to err on the side of caution and bring absolutely everything I could ever need to use at home!

Have a great time!

I would double check with your pediatrician regarding the infant suppositories. Your daughter will be 4 months old, and the suppositories are used for constipation.

Pediatricians are generally uncomfortable allowing laxatives (oral or suppositories) for small infant because the risk of dehydration associated with strong bowel movements that can be caused by laxative use.

I know with my kids, they just told us to feed them more fluids, especially since formula fed infants don't create big blockages... it's more like cottage cheese, than anything.

I completely agree that travelling with a 4 month old is easy compared to when they start eating solids :)

The only thing I don't understand is why you would want to bring formula? There are very few reasons for you to stop bf'ing, and your baby may not even accept the formula. If I were you and still wanted to bring it, I would try it at home first, just in case there is a reaction, doesn't like the bottle/nipple etc. That way you can get all the glitches sorted out before you leave. I do think the breast pump is a great option, but I always found them handy rather than a hinderance, which I know isn't always the case.

We travelled fairly light when DS2 was 4 months old, bringing clothes, diapers, baby wash, wipes and a baby carrier. At night he had his favourite "stuffie", fleece blanket and night time book, as well as a small night light. We walked or took public transit to get around bringing the car seat. Now that he's 4 yrs old, it's starting to get easier again ;)

I would take the formula just in case, I would much rather be safe than sorry.

As for medicines check with the Dr about any and all that are safe for a 4 month old. Bring these and a list with the appropriate dosages. I would specifically ask what they prefer you do should your little one come down with Noro virus. I pray this doesn't happen, but again if it were me I would rather be safe than sorry.

Diapers, wipes, clothes, favorite blanket, toys, carseat, sling/carrier, and your happy baby.

I actually think that traveling with a 4 month old would have been easier than with my 11 month old. At 4 months he was content to sit and watch, now he is into everything.

Enjoy your cruise and let us know how it goes.

It's good to know there's a cruise line who's minimum age to cruise isn't 6 months. I'll let family members know about that.

MSC has no age restriction for infants if they are looking for a line that leaves out of the US. In fact, on most of their sailings... kids sail free.

I would double check with your pediatrician regarding the infant suppositories. Your daughter will be 4 months old, and the suppositories are used for constipation.

Pediatricians are generally uncomfortable allowing laxatives (oral or suppositories) for small infant because the risk of dehydration associated with strong bowel movements that can be caused by laxative use.

I know with my kids, they just told us to feed them more fluids, especially since formula fed infants don't create big blockages... it's more like cottage cheese, than anything.

That's a great point! I was surprised when my pediatrician recommended these over juice for my baby, but he was breast fed and went several days without going.

Probably good to ask the doctor about what he or she would suggest you take with you medicine wise. Most doctors, like parents, have different opinions.

More likely then not, you will not need most of the stuff you bring, but better to have it and not need it than not have it when you do need it!

The best thing I brought on our last cruise with a 10 month old at the time was a shoe organizer that hangs over the door. I would put an outfit in each pocket. I would also keep diapers, diaper bags, wipes, bottles, and anything else in there. It had clear pockets so you can see what is in the pockets. We are going on a cruise in Jan 2011 with my now 2 year old AND our 6 month old little boy :)

We cruised with our 6 months old couple months ago. I would bring the formula just in case and Pedialyte and I like the Playtex drop in bottle so you don't have to wash the bottle. I also did gave him a little prune juice(from the buffet) mixed with the water to help with constapation

I always took my favourite baby book that had a good chapter on infant illnesses just incase something came up. It was handy to refer to when they start to do something new and you are not sure if it is a new stage of developement or something to worry about.

I also took a thermometer which came in handy when DS came down with strep throat while on vacation. That was the trip that I also learned that it was easier to get his fever down by going for a stroll in the cool night air than by giving him a cool shower, but by all means take all the infant medication that you think you might need. It may not be available on board or at the various ports in the strength you need. As well, Pedialyte comes in a powdered form that is much easier to travel with.

I always took twice the clothes and half the toys that I thought I might need. There is lots on board for an infant to look at and keep them occupied. I took toys that were small, but had a high play value, especially if they were suitable for keeping them occupied at the dinner table.

Have a great trip and do come back and tell us how it worked out.

-Bring a good stroller that reclines

-A small sun umbrella for the stops. It gets really hot and some beaches don't have much shade.

-One of those UV nets to put over the stroller (for the bugs and the sun)

-A cooler to put the bottles (if you are bringing formula)

-Extra diapers, bibs, thin blankets

You might also consider packing some detergent to hand wash you babies clothes in the sink, especially bibs, and dish washing detergent. Even if you use the Playtex bottles that use the disposable liner, you'll still need to clean out the nipples and well as your breast pump.

Archived