HELP- have to cancel cruise tomorrow

canucks4

Here I haven't even cruised with them yet (15x with RCI), but I love Celebrity. I emailed customer service and told them my tale of woe. I just received an email from them (less than 24 hours later!!) and with proof of my medical emergency, they will provide me with a one-year cruise credit for 75% of my cruise - THEY ARE GREAT!!!!

Please spread the word - THANK YOU CELEBRITY!!!

This is what the Celebrity Protection Plan (US plan at least) pays for cancellation for any reason. It pays out 75% in the form of a cruise credit to be used within one year.

So, you did not purchase the insurance, but they gave you the credit anyway? I am happy for you, but wondering why someone would pay for this protection if Celebrity will give you the credit without it if you need to cancel.

Can somebody in very general terms give cost of insurance? if you are on 7 day cruise and pay $2,000 for cruise for 2 people what would be a typical insurance cost?

It depends on your age and where you are cruising. As a rule of thumb - 5-6% of your total cost.

I have a medical emergency at home and will not be cruising tomorrow. I called customer service and they said I will just be a no-show. I'd like to at least try to let someone know, and cancel my excursions and dinner. Any ideas?

Oh dear, those are words nobody wants to have to write. :( I'm so sorry to hear about your medical emergency and subsequent travel dilemma but glad that you were able to recoup some of what you spent. Once everything settles down you'll be able to plan another trip. What a blessing to hear that news from Celebrity. Your perseverance paid off. YAY!!! :D Life can be such a roller coaster.

Sorry to hear you had to cancel your cruise.

I still think that travel insurance is a bit of a waste of money though as long as you have alternative medical (including medevac) coverage.

With insurance running roughly 8-10% of the cost of the trip, after ten trips, I would have basically paid for one if I wound up missing it! Just not worth it to me for cancellation insurance. I prefer to self insure. So yeah, if I end up on a disaster trip like the Century fiasco last year, I'll be OOP. I can live with taking that very, very small risk.

Sorry to hear you had to cancel your cruise.

I still think that travel insurance is a bit of a waste of money though as long as you have alternative medical (including medevac) coverage.

With insurance running roughly 8-10% of the cost of the trip, after ten trips, I would have basically paid for one if I wound up missing it! Just not worth it to me for cancellation insurance. I prefer to self insure. So yeah, if I end up on a disaster trip like the Century fiasco last year, I'll be OOP. I can live with taking that very, very small risk.

Insurance does not cost 8-10% of the trip, usually less.

And it does cover the cost of a chopper medevac, which is $25,000 and up.

Insurance does not cost 8-10% of the trip, usually less.

And it does cover the cost of a chopper medevac, which is $25,000 and up.

Yes- that's why I have a medical only policy that includes medevac. I believe medical insurance is important, as I said in my original post. I think cancellation/interruption coverage is generally a poor gamble and prefer to self insure it. It adds up if you travel a lot.

Yes- that's why I have a medical only policy that includes medevac. I believe medical insurance is important, as I said in my original post. I think cancellation/interruption coverage is generally a poor gamble and prefer to self insure it. It adds up if you travel a lot.

Where do you get medical only?

Thanks

Archived