Viking "Custom Air"-what would you do?

imisseurope

We had to pay the end of August for our cruise June 2012!! Viking kept sending requests for our passport information to our TA because "they wanted to get our air secured". Well that was so much BS because we still don't have our air and won't have it until much much closer to the cruise.

We were holding off because we need to renew our passports but not until after our February cruise. Of course there isn't any chance of canceling because we've had to pay in full sooooo early. With air we'll just have to take what they give us.

From all the bad press I'm sure this will be our first and very last cruise with Viking, I really was and am uncomfortable with paying soooo far in advance. AND I'm feeling they are very unfair as to who gets special treatment and who gets the shaft. This private talk thing bugs me.

Well, to let you all know, I had emailed Viking with my reservation number and TA contact info as requested. Never heard from Viking (so no "private" chat).

Upon my TA's return from her vacation, she was contacted by Viking.

They declined to extend my final payment date.

Needless to say, I have canceled with Viking.

Lost $100 per person in cancellation fees doing so, but feel much better.

Whoever made the decision at Viking to not extend the payment date should go back to business school. Makes me really wonder now why they need the money so far in advance that they are willing to lose a booking.

We also paid extra for travel insurance, and business class travel. All has been wasted because the trip was a bus trip due to low water on the Rhine. You'd better check carefully if previous Viking River trips actually happened because we have found many postings after our return, that Viking had been cancelling the cruise portion and shifting people onto buses for two months. They didn't tell us and we could have rebooked the trip for another time rather than loose all of our cruise money as well as the travel insurance. They must get compensation for selling the travel insurance, too. Terrible shock to be transferred to a bus for days and days and the "dream river cruise" nothing but a pamphlet from their Marketing Depart. Be careful if you are using Viking.

Hi,

Need some advice from seasoned river cruisers. I have put down a deposit, purchased travel insurance (from AAA) and paid Viking's "Custom Air" fee. The fee guarantees you will have the flights you want before you make the final payment as long as you have made the deposit and submitted your PIF's (which I have). We are well within the 330 days that air schedules are released. Our departure date is July 18, 2012.

They have secured the outbound flight we requested, but the return is still not confirmed on the flight we requested. They are holding a connecting flight Paris to Los Angeles, but we had requested a non-stop. The Viking Custom Air department, says they probably will not get the non-stop flight released to them until after the 1st of the year. Why they could get the outbound non-stop, but not the return is apparently a mystery. Anyhow, my dilemma is that my final payment due date is coming up on Dec. 16 and they want me to 'have faith' that I will get the flight I really wanted for my return sometime after the 1st of the year. If I don't get it, my option would be to take what they have booked me on, or cancel the air portion (but then I would be on my own and prices of the airfare have gone up and my preferred flights may not be available by then and I would have to purchase my transfers). Big price difference. We started all this at the beginning of Sept.

I think I should be given the courtesy of extending my final payment date until I get the flights I requested. Most other cruise lines only require final payment 90 days in advance anyway, so it doesn't sound like it should be a big deal. I just don't want to pay in full for something based on faith.

What would you do?

:eek:

No kidding. Can you believe that they try to compensate with a coupon for another trip. Are you kidding me? Oh, and count yourself fortunate, we only got a coupon for 25% discount on another Viking Cruise. You scored if you got 30%. I bet you just can't wait to book another Bus Trip Down 'Da Highway for a week. And how about the slick photos of a nice dining room. Didn't see it. And, balconies, weren't there. I'm done with this company and will share my wealth of experiences. Monetary damages will exceed their rip off to us. Bad memories and unethical corporate behavior is a sensitive subject to many of us who save to go on a special cruise vacation. I'm certainly spreading the word until I get satisfaction from Viking. Oh, that's right it's Christmas and management bonuses are due to be paid. Yep, my $4000 probably went to some Viking Fat Cat manager who ripped me off.!!!

Yeah, right!

Had Viking treated their past customers with more respect, they wouldn't have had these "bad mojo on these boards about Viking and how they handled the low water level situation" which they're now wanted to "discuss" about, IN PRIVATE!

Contrast that, Avalon was frank enough to lay out their compensation on this board! Because they're not ashamed of their offer!!!

30% "Viking cruise credit" for a cruise that only delivered less than 50%.

Fool me once, shame on me.... welcome to other fools who wish to join me. ;)

We cruised with Viking on November 12th and ended up on buses after only three days. That's their way of negating your insurance because you aren't technically 'interrupted'. Your moving, albeit on a tour bus. You were lucky. We lost $4000 for the cruise, $1400 for trip insurance, and $3000 for Business class seats because my wife has spinal fusion metal in her back. You can not imagine how messed up her spine was after four days in a bus. I'm angry that they lied to us. We would have never agreed to a bus trip. And, payiing $4000 for a cruise that is actually SCHEDULED TO MEET BUSES at the next port is simply awful.

You were luck, imisseurope.

Well, to let you all know, I had emailed Viking with my reservation number and TA contact info as requested. Never heard from Viking (so no "private" chat).

Upon my TA's return from her vacation, she was contacted by Viking.

They declined to extend my final payment date.

Needless to say, I have canceled with Viking.

Lost $100 per person in cancellation fees doing so, but feel much better.

Whoever made the decision at Viking to not extend the payment date should go back to business school. Makes me really wonder now why they need the money so far in advance that they are willing to lose a booking.

[Go with customer feedback and be safe. Viking advertises a cruise. You do not get it. And, forget a refund. Gotcha is their corporate motto.

quote=nordski;31624447]Not certain about the offer you are getting, but other river cruise lines, such as Uniworld, also require an early full payment on certain deals that include the cruise and air. This is unlike many ocean cruise lines.

Let us know how it works out.

I have to say that I shied away from Viking when I booked my first river cruise for next year. Based on all the reviews and comments that I read on this board, they seem to have very questionable business practices and I've seen more negative comments than positive. I have to say that I am very happy that I booked with Avalon. Avalon only requires final payment 90 days before sailing. Much better policy. They were also very proactive in their communication with customers during the low water situation.

Welcome to the fools' club, Bob'nJan!

I was on the week AFTER you! So imagine my shock that the previous TWO weeks had been a bus trip! And Viking had the nerve to say this was an "unexpected" situation!

Viking has an office in California. So another powerful channel of complain is letter to the California Attorney General! I've already done my part. And I'm urging everyone who got shafted to do the same. If they got enough complain, they might open an investigation. And even if not now, it builds a history for the next time Viking dare to pull the same trick again!

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome to the fools' club, Bob'nJan!

I was on the week AFTER you! So imagine my shock that the previous TWO weeks had been a bus trip! And Viking had the nerve to say this was an "unexpected" situation!

Viking has an office in California. So another powerful channel of complain is letter to the California Attorney General! I've already done my part. And I'm urging everyone who got shafted to do the same. If they got enough complain, they might open an investigation. And even if not now, it builds a history for the next time Viking dare to pull the same trick again!

Water levels cannot be predicted very far in advance. What would you have expected them to do about the water level and a what would the CAG do for you?

Isn't that what "cancel for any reason" insurance is for?

Water levels cannot be predicted very far in advance.

How far is "very far"? Is 10 weeks of draught with only 1 week to the start of cruise and no hint of rain "very far in advance"?

Isn't that what "cancel for any reason" insurance is for?

Cancel for any reason is only useful if they SHARE water level with cruisers!

What would you have expected them to do about the water level

I would expect them to share the water information. Is it asking too much in your view?

This appeared to be the third week of low water levels. Surely if you had been concerned BEFORE your cruise you could have found out and exercised "cancel for any reason".

By the way what would you have done if they would have told you the water was too low and it rained for two days before your tour began.

Please people! I may be wrong but isn't this the Roll Call for people who are on this particular cruise? Is it not up to us to go on another thread to discuss Vikings bad behaviour?????

I was so looking forward to our very first European River Cruise but now after all the discussion about water levels, I want out but can't cancel w/o good reason as final payment has been made.

I'm sending this thread on to my TA with a little note. Please post if you have any direct contact from Viking regarding this issue AND our specific cruise. Otherwise I will unsubscribe from this Roll Call and avoid feeling scared about something that may never happen.

This appeared to be the third week of low water levels. Surely if you had been concerned BEFORE your cruise you could have found out and exercised "cancel for any reason".

???

Surely you can find that information where?

Or you mean the fact the previous 2 week's cruise didn't make it to Budapest, which the cruise company gladly NOT shared?

By the way what would you have done if they would have told you the water was too low and it rained for two days before your tour began.

I'd canceled and re-scheduled the tour on a less risky date.

May even go for a land based tour. It would have been a lot less than the cruise-turn-bus tour but at cruise price.

We cruised with Viking on November 12th and ended up on buses after only three days. That's their way of negating your insurance because you aren't technically 'interrupted'. Your moving' date=' albeit on a tour bus. You were lucky. We lost $4000 for the cruise, $1400 for trip insurance, and $3000 for Business class seats because my wife has spinal fusion metal in her back. You can not imagine how messed up her spine was after four days in a bus. I'm angry that they lied to us. We would have never agreed to a bus trip. And, payiing $4000 for a cruise that is actually SCHEDULED TO MEET BUSES at the next port is simply awful.

You were luck, imisseurope.[/quote']

Dear Bob’n’Jan,

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment with your trip and the necessary itinerary adjustments that resulted from low water levels. More than that, we are very sorry to learn of any additional discomfort that was a result of a prior spinal condition combined with time on a bus. We hope you will choose to contact us directly at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com so that we may discuss your specific concerns in further detail.

Regards,

Viking River Cruises

We had to pay the end of August for our cruise June 2012!! Viking kept sending requests for our passport information to our TA because "they wanted to get our air secured". Well that was so much BS because we still don't have our air and won't have it until much much closer to the cruise.

We were holding off because we need to renew our passports but not until after our February cruise. Of course there isn't any chance of canceling because we've had to pay in full sooooo early. With air we'll just have to take what they give us.

From all the bad press I'm sure this will be our first and very last cruise with Viking, I really was and am uncomfortable with paying soooo far in advance. AND I'm feeling they are very unfair as to who gets special treatment and who gets the shaft. This private talk thing bugs me.

Dear floatinrocks,

We’re sorry to hear how frustrated you are before your trip. We would love to try and help, if we can. Can you please email us at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com with your contact information so that we can look into your particular travel arrangements?

Kindly,

Viking River Cruises

• 2 weeks later...

Huh?

Those are for different time frame. Won't help a specific one.

As for it being a "indication" of problem, yes. But that's not Viking plays it. The sale rep went so far to say "oh maybe only once in the past 3 years"!

Due partly to the fact they have build new ships that have deeper draft than the previous one, Viking ships are MORE affected by BOTH high and low water. Their rep plain lies about how often such disruption happened!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shocked at how many people wished they hadn't booked with Viking and many friends of mine have just booked Danube River Cruise for Oct. 2013. It's been a rough road so far since we booked due to many Viking policies and booking a group of us and I was trying to be positive but from everything I've read, OH MY GOSH! Doesn't Viking read their complaints? Wished I had read CC earlier. I find way more complaints than positives and people that did contact Viking after their negative experience sure didn't get satisfaction. Who wants 30% back on their next river cruise when the one they took was so poor. Hope to hear positive comments from people who have done Danube river cruise with Viking in Oct.

I'm shocked at how many people wished they hadn't booked with Viking and many friends of mine have just booked Danube River Cruise for Oct. 2013. It's been a rough road so far since we booked due to many Viking policies and booking a group of us and I was trying to be positive but from everything I've read, OH MY GOSH! Doesn't Viking read their complaints? Wished I had read CC earlier. I find way more complaints than positives and people that did contact Viking after their negative experience sure didn't get satisfaction. Who wants 30% back on their next river cruise when the one they took was so poor. Hope to hear positive comments from people who have done Danube river cruise with Viking in Oct.

Dear burrma,

We’re very sorry to hear about your hesitation to travel with us. We want to assure you that we do read the feedback of our guests — both positive and negative. We of course want all of our guests to enjoy a wonderful trip, but for those whose expectations were not met, we try to speak with each individual to address their concerns, keep their trust, and work to make improvements based on their candid feedback. A member of our Customer Relations team will call you so that you may discuss any specific questions or concerns you have. In the meantime, if you’d ever like to contact us directly about anything at all you can always do so at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com.

We look forward to speaking with you and are anxiously awaiting October when you and your group will join us.

Warm Regards,

Viking River Cruises

I find way more complaints than positives and people that did contact Viking after their negative experience sure didn't get satisfaction.

I'm going on a Viking cruise June 2012 and have been overwhelmed by the negative posts but I try to remember that people are more likely to comment negatively than positively in any case.

I'm praying for good water levels, decent flights, decent weather and trusting that this trip will be as wonderful as the trip I took with Viking in China. From the minute I stepped on that boat I thought "I'm cruising with Viking again some day". Time will tell.

Its not surprising the only negative posters voice their opinions.

We've taken 3 Viking cruises and are anxiously awaiting a June Ukraine river cruise. There are expectations that sometimes cannot be met, but the saying goes "when life gives you lemons make lemonade".

The river levels situation is beyond man's ability. Its February 1st and 60 degrees in NYC today. We cannot control much, its up to each of us how we react to life's challenges. Not that I watch, but JR in Dancing with the Stars comes to mind.

Wonderful responses you have made about Viking and I also like your optimistic attitude.

I must say: Viking customer relations did call me; haven't had time to return their call; very busy preparing to cruise this weekend but was impressed that they read CC and are so willling to work on the negatives. Will certainly post my reviews after their cruise.

Burrma -

I have not travelled with Viking - but I do know someone who has, and he was very pleased with the experience. He is well travelled, and would not hesitate to voice his concerns if his experience was sub-standard. He has said that he would travel with them again (I asked, after continuing to read negative comments...)

Fran

Archived