Celebrity in Baltimore

Patty00

As was explained to me by a ship engineer, it's not the height restriction of going under the two bridges that is so much the issue, it's the depth of the channel going up the Chesapeake that all the ships (container, etc) use, which is not very deep. The constant need to keep dredging the man-made channel particularly in the Baltimore area to keep it at 50' causes the problem. Dredging is the issue, for several reasons, including where to dispose of the material dredged out, as well as exposing/possible damage of the many cables that run underwater in the Baltimore area. The azipods on the big and newer ships also create a problem, so that leaves only cruise ships with older technology capable of navigating the channel up the Chesapeake.

A huge new berth/terminal in the Baltimore Harbor is due to open next year (Seagirt), which will make Baltimore and Norfolk the only east coast ports large enough to start handling all the ship traffic expected the following year when the new Panama Canal opens. As Baltimore is more practical/easier than Norlfolk for then transporting cargo to the rest of the east coast and to the interior parts like Ohio, Chicago etc, the state is expecting to get much more money from that than they would from trying to increase the cruise ship traffic.

RCI has already said that radiance class ships can call Baltimore. Celebrity's Millenium class ships are the same height so I don't know why one would be able to make it and one would not. Also once the ship has cleared the key bridge and has gotten into the channel of the Chesapeake Bay, there is no speed limit. The cruise down the bay usually takes around 9 hours but it is very enjoyable. I don't understand why the trip down the bay is such an issue for people. As far as Norfolk goes, the cruise lines tried to make a successful run there but they found out that they could make more money in Baltimore. They will always go where the money is. Lastly there are plenty of ships that can still clear the bridges in Baltimore, even the newest Disney ship. This shows that there are still plenty of ships that can call Baltimore. The cruise terminal in Baltimore is quick, easy, convienent, and in the best possible place. I hope they open a second cruise terminal around the corner in north locust. Remember bigger isn't always better.

I don't remember what time Celebrity Mercury departed from Baltimore (5pm?) but here is a AIS Marine Traffic screen grab I had posted on another thread of her as she passes over the north branch of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel at 2am outbound. She still has a little ways to go to clear Hampton Roads and Cape Henry before officially being in 'open ocean'

MercuryFinalSeasonBegins.jpg

Archived