Shadow - Formal full ship?

uk1

The problem is that we are spending 11 nights in London and Rome prior to the cruise and 3 nights in Venice afterwards... Hauling along a tux for just one or two nights on the ship is a waste, in my view.

I suspect that the trend toward shorter cruises is going to result in more cruise-plus-land vacations, making it harder for passengers and cruise lines to justify what has become a vestige of an earlier time when most nights at sea were "formal nights."

Here's a possible compromise: I have black light-weight slacks that have thin black stripes, and can pass for tux slacks yet be worn without a tux. I will bring a pair of non-tux black shoes. That way I can pack just the tux jacket (heaviest item), shirt, tie and cumberbund.

I'm no fashion maven, but it seems to me that you'd be better off just wearing a dark suit with well-shined shoes. A cobbled-together outfit represents compromise; a nice suit reflects good taste.

JHP writes: "I always thought it from time to time, but I must be stupid. I thought when you were on international travel, you could bring up to 70 lbs. of baggage, rather than the 50 allowed domestic. This does not work between airports in Europe when you are headed back to the states? I have never had a weight problem going to Europe with my luggage, and I have landed in Madrid, gone to Nice when bags weighed more than 50 pounds. You are allowed 2? So does that mean that you can really have more than 50 pounds?"

No. Call British Air and they will confirm that it's a TOTAL of 50 pounds. If your luggage is simply checked through to your ultimate destination (or perhaps if you're in Business Class) there's no problem with 70 pounds per bag. But if you are checking in luggage at (for example) Heathrow to go from London to Rome, you are supposed to pay a heavy penalty for overweight luggage.

Goeurope writes: "I'm no fashion maven, but it seems to me that you'd be better off just wearing a dark suit with well-shined shoes. A cobbled-together outfit represents compromise; a nice suit reflects good taste."

Don't worry; it's not remotely noticeable to anyone, particularly in the low lighting of formal night. That's why I picked up these slacks.

Archived