Kealakekua

breeding

We are on a snorkel excursion to Kealakekua bay could someone tell me how deep the water is at this site. I have a 12 year old that is sometimes fearful of deep waters. We are not going to change just want to prepare her and myself.

Just a weird question too: We wont see any sharks at this location will we? I really should not have watched open water before our trip:eek:.

breeding...are you taking a ship excursion or another? Which? I'm interested in this site as well.

Alright HAWAIIAN's....

Can you help with some of the pronunciations of these places?

Kealakekua for one! I don't want to sound like a DORK when I try to say these Hawaiian names! :)

Thanks!

breeding...are you taking a ship excursion or another? Which? I'm interested in this site as well.

Thanks!

We are not going on a ship excursion. We are going on a combo fishing/snorkeling combo that sounds wonderful. Here is the link. I figure it is our last day and if we miss the boat we will just stay in Hawaii!!

Here is the link

http://www.konaseasports.com/

The water ranges from 10' to 30' right off shore, and in some places quickly decends to 100'. Snorkeling is fantastic and scuba diving is even better.

10X is pretty much right on the money! It goes from 8ft to out of sight....

I have been there about 5 times...highly recommend it!

However....never do what me and 3 friends did once.....thought we would save the tour money.....swam across the bay.....about 1 mile each direction.....about an hour and a half each direction....and yes, we saw a shark or two.

Spend the tour money!

Chuck

Hawaiian words are pronounced phonetically. So just break up the word:

ke-a-la-ke-ku-a

ke = the first syllable in the word "ketchup"

a = "ah"

la = "la" :)

ke = as above

ku = "coo"

a = as above

Does that help? :D

Spleen

We are not going on a ship excursion. We are going on a combo fishing/snorkeling combo that sounds wonderful. Here is the link. I figure it is our last day and if we miss the boat we will just stay in Hawaii!!

Here is the link

http://www.konaseasports.com/

The other thing to consider is if this excursion is refundable if your ship does not arrive as scheduled. All the ones I've found are not unless you go with the ship excursion.

The other thing to consider is if this excursion is refundable if your ship does not arrive as scheduled. All the ones I've found are not unless you go with the ship excursion.

Yes - the captain (on the phone) told me that if the Wind did not make it into port we would not be charged. He has never seen the Wind not make it to Kona. He said if there is a change in itinerary than to give him a call while we were on board and let him know what is going on. It is a private tour so it's not like we are going to be holding anyone else up.

Speaking of itinerary changes - Anyone know why the wind is in the middle of the Ocean today?? It is not supposed to be and it was in Maui (wrong side) two days ago????

Hawaiian words look daunting but as Spleen said - mostly are pronounced phonetically. However, sometimes W is pronouced like a V and probably it used to be "always" that way but as in Hawaii - it has gotten Americanized I think. We have a town on the Big Island for instance called Hawi...Haa Vee. Also those spiky things you do not want to step on in the ocean are called Wana or Vaa Naa (sea urchins).

I spent at least my first year here pronouncing (or trying to) the names on the street signs as I would drive around. Sometimes it would take a mile to get it around my tongue.... :D

Oh....the visibility here is sooooo clear that you can see "forever" so it might be pretty deep but even a chicken of the sea like me had no problems on the Fair Winds.

Emi

As far as snorkeling expeditions, try Dolphin Discoveries. They sail out of Keauhou Bay, at the far southern end of what can be called "Kona." We had a great time 14 months ago with them. Google on their name. Whether they have refund policies or not, I don't know. We had to re-schedule several times because of utterly awful weather, and they were very obliging - at least I know they aren't totally unhelpful - you might just want to email or call them and ask. (BTW, we've been to Molokini off of Maui many times, and Kealakekua Bay is a much better snorkeling location.)

Probably the big question is getting from the ship to the boat. Keauhou Bay is pretty far from the center of Kailua-Kona (like 5 miles or so). It's a mixed blessing - you're closer to the snorkeling site so you spend less time traveling. BUt you also have to get there.

• 2 weeks later...

DW and I rented a kayak paddled accross the 1 mile or so of bay. We had a small pod of Spinner Dolphins swim up and look us over as we went across. The snorkeling is outstanding. I look forward to doing it again. :)I don't think this is offered as an excursion, we rented a jeep and then picked up the kayaks.

Archived