Heading out on Maasdam 4.10.05

Operator

First, I would like to thank all of the posters to these boards who have provided me with a wealth of information on HAL and the Maasdam, including what to expect on this, my first cruise. I have made extensive use of your packing suggestions, excursion tips, and HAL insight that I am sure will lead to a better trip. I will be staying in a Verandah Suite on Nav deck, and will post a complete review upon return.

Any last minute suggestions? I am taking some wine onboard, eating at the Pinnacle twice, and planning to relax as much as possible (traveling with spouse but not kids :D ). Have a cabana reserved at HMC, and a couple of excursions booked.

Thanks again to you all, and wish us smooth sailing (especially on the return leg to Norfolk - yikes!).

-Operator

You sound like you have EVERYTHING planned PERFECTLY!

I have cruised on the Maasdam at least 6 times & have LOVED each & every one!

I bet you will come back addicted to cruising like most of the rest of us!

rocks

PS: I hope you will post your thoughts when you return-I'll be anxious to read them!

Operator,

It seems as though we will be cruisin together. I am going with my husband and his parents. We chose a lower deck this time to room in. But I am also excited. Just a few more days!

I think you have it covered. I am running to the store in about an hour to pick some last minute things. I am going to buy a portable fan just-in-case that AC thing happens again on this cruise. Happy Cruisin! You will so become addicted to cruisin. I have found that I prefer to travel no other way. Although I still do travel other ways, but there is no greater indulgence than cruising. You are wined and dined for (11 Days this time) and provided only the best food and service, accomodations, and entertainment. If you like Art at all, I would suggest spending sometime at the art auctions. There are some that aren't too high, and you have chances to win art and bid on massages and spa packages. It is a fun time, plus you can see and hear commentary on some great artists. I also love the trivia. If you play, my family will be called "The WeeWit's". It's a tradition.

Extremly Excited!!!!

ShelleLynn:D

Hi, I just went on the Maasdam, on the March 10 trip! I had a fantastic time, and the places we stopped, were beautiful! The only problem I had, was a bit of seasickness, the second day out, and if you take some Dramamine, and bracelets for motion sickness, you should be fine! I hope! :) The food was wonderful, (I love about everything) and they had the absolute BEST desserts! If you go to the main dining room for supper, and you go on the upper deck to the left, around the first and second table, tell the waiter named Mohammed that Kate and Bobbi said hi! :) pleaseeeeeeeeeee! :) You will love it. If you have any questions, let me know, I will try to answer them for you!

The Maasdam has lost an engine. The Captain announced in San Juan that we would be at least 2 hours late and there may be bad weather ahead. This was before we had to wait another hour for a woman who was late in boarding. No idea when we'll get into Norfolk. Any questions between now and then, feel free to ask. We will log in again in the morning to update you. This was also our first cruise, and we are already planning the next one~ Su and Andy

The Maasdam has lost an engine. The Captain announced in San Juan that we would be at least 2 hours late and there may be bad weather ahead. This was before we had to wait another hour for a woman who was late in boarding. No idea when we'll get into Norfolk. Any questions between now and then, feel free to ask. We will log in again in the morning to update you. This was also our first cruise, and we are already planning the next one~ Su and Andy

...but I have to admit I am not encouraged to hear about the blown engine. Is this something that can be fixed in Norfolk, or should we expect to be slow and late to all ports on the 4.10 sailing?

One more question - how would you folks compare food on the Maasdam to, say, the better Las Vegas restaurants? I have enjoyed spectacular meals at Aqua, Picasso, Delmonico, Prime, etc. in Vegas, and am trying to set my expectations properly for the cruise.

Thanks all!

-Operator

Operator;

My husband and I will also be on the Maasdam on Sunday 4/10. Last November we were on the Statendam and had to return to Hilo in order to take care of an ill passenger. We also lost power on our way back to San Diego. All in all, we lost about 5 hours between these two incidents. We did arrive in San Diego, CA. on time! There are "lag" times built into these cruises just in case of problems. Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. The captain and his crew are all experienced and capable people. They will do their best in order to arrive in Norfolk on time.

See you on Sunday,

Blossom

One more question - how would you folks compare food on the Maasdam to, say, the better Las Vegas restaurants? I have enjoyed spectacular meals at Aqua, Picasso, Delmonico, Prime, etc. in Vegas, and am trying to set my expectations properly for the cruise.

THe Pinnacle GRill can match those, but the dining room is more like a banquet at a better country club - they do have to feed 400 or so people at a sitting. :)

Operator;

My husband and I will also be on the Maasdam on Sunday 4/10. Last November we were on the Statendam and had to return to Hilo in order to take care of an ill passenger. We also lost power on our way back to San Diego. All in all, we lost about 5 hours between these two incidents. We did arrive in San Diego, CA. on time! There are "lag" times built into these cruises just in case of problems. Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. The captain and his crew are all experienced and capable people. They will do their best in order to arrive in Norfolk on time.

See you on Sunday,

Blossom

On the negative side, the distance/time/sea-state factor pretty much requires Maasdam to make best speed. A blown engine will knock 10-15% off of the top end, adding 4-6 hours to the transit. On the positive, there are some fair ship repair facilities here ("We can fix anything but a broken heart or the crack of dawn"), so there is no good reason why she shouldn't leave at 100% of capability.

While my November cruise was early coming and going, Maasdam's on-time record has been spotty this season, for reasons both mechanical and meteorological. She has had a good streak for the last 5-6 sailings. Lots of comments hereabouts documenting them.

Have a great cruise

Cheers

MarkB

We're also on the 4/10 Maasdam sailing. Our TA called last night to tell us that HAL is sending e-mails saying the ship will be at least 4 hours late getting into Norfolk and to tell the 4/10 pax to wait until 5:00 pm to board with sailing at 9:00 pm. She didn't say they blew an engine, just that they are having to reduce power to one of the engines to keep it from blowing.

I'm most disappointed because we have a cabana on HMC and was really looking forward to a nice long day there! :(

Archived