If your scooter doesn't turn on after A flight

sashas_mom

Just wanted to share my experience in case this ever happens to you. We flew to Paris on Air France. They were wonderful and took my scooter when I boarded the plane. They hd a wheelchair ready for me when we got off the plane and I was taken to special baggage area to get my scooter. You can imagine my concern when my scooter was completely dead when I turned the key on. I knew it couldn't be a depleted battery since it was fully charged before we left. I have to say panic did begin to set in. My brilliant husband suggested that the wheelchair pusher get a mechanic so the battery case could be opened since he suspected the cables may have been jarred loose. Sure enough that is exactly what the problem was. The mechanic explained something about pressure and temperature changes possibly caused the problem. Reconnecting the wires was simple with a screwdriver and we were happily on our way.

I'm so happy that you had a positive experience. Often, the folks loading the plane (usually on international flights) will disconnect the batteries. It will be up to you to re-connect them upon your arrival.

I've had such awful experience with Air France and my scooter that I hope to NEVER fly them again. Going through Paris was an absolute nightmare. First, there was no jetway and they insisted that as I could walk to my seat on the plane, I could walk down the flight of stairs off of the plane and then up two flights of stairs to customs and then down again.... you get the picture. Lets just say that 3 hours later, an almost missed connection and many tears were the result.

Oh, no. That's awful. I would have insisted they get me a wheelchair. They should have had one waiting for you at the plane, or your scooter. They had me drive it till I boarded then they took it into the cargo and brought it up after we landed. In the past they would have a wheelchair waiting for me and I wouldn't see my scooter until I arrived at my final destination. I have to agree their customer service isn't what it was even just a few years ago. We use them Internationally because we have mileage points and they have a direct flight to France from California. I definitely prefer a direct flight any time I can get one. I called them a few weeks before to confirm they had on record I will have a scooter, however, when we arrived at LAX they had no record of it and said the Pilot would have to decide if he would take my scooter. I was so worried and annoyed they didn't have it noted since I made sure before we left (or so I had thought). Fortunately the Pilot cleared it and it worked out okay. I hope neither one of us have an experience like you had...

Archived