Long, black skirt

I'm looking for a skirt to wear with a Jkara black & white top. I was expecting them to be available everywhere. Maybe, I'm too picky about what I want. :confused: I want a straight skirt (no pleats) w/ a hidden zipper in the back. No ornamentation at all. A back slit would be best, but not necessary. I have a mid-calf skirt like this that came from Dillards that I really like, but I couldn't find the long one there. Any suggestions of where to look online? BTW, I'm only 5' 1 1/2", so I prefer petites, but getting it hemmed is no big deal. TIA :)

Thanks for the sites. :) I must be too picky. I still couldn't find what I was looking for. I think wanting polyester fabric & a zipper in the back may be the problem. I may end up posting a link to the top, so you guys can help me with an alternative.

If you have a Loehman's nearby, try looking there. I found several -- bought three for opinions at home, took two back. Also, I found a great one at Macy's, sort of what you described, but it has 3 braided buttons on an off-center seam on the front. Seems like it's always all or nothing...Good luck!

Thanks for the sites. :) I must be too picky. I still couldn't find what I was looking for. I think wanting polyester fabric & a zipper in the back may be the problem. I may end up posting a link to the top, so you guys can help me with an alternative.

For some reason, I have a hard time finding black skirts I like. They're never what I want.

Thanks again for your suggestions. I don't think we have a Loehman's. At least, I've never seen one. I was able to find a skirt that appears to be what I'm looking for on QVC.com. :) I never would have thought of looking there, if not for another thread I read. If it's not what I want, I'll only be out about $40.

I am always searching (in vain) for the perfect black skirt and the perfect pair of black pants. My closet is full of almost-but-not-quite-what-I-was-looking-for black pants and skirts.

Do you have time to get someone to make the black skirt you want?

Have you tried bridal shops and formal wear shops?

If I don't like the one I ordered, I'll check out the local bridal shops. Does David's Bridal have an online store? It looks like their site is only for browsing, before going to the store. Am I missing something? I may have to go over there & look at some of the dresses. The website has some beautiful ones. :)

If I don't like the one I ordered, I'll check out the local bridal shops. Does David's Bridal have an online store? It looks like their site is only for browsing, before going to the store. Am I missing something? I may have to go over there & look at some of the dresses. The website has some beautiful ones. :)

You'd have to go to the store. We ordered bridesmaid dresses through them.

Tarheelmjfan - I purchased a black and white beaded Jkara top today at Dillards - I bet is is the same one. Is it sleeveless? I had bought the dress (the same top attached to a black skirt) but the dress is a bit shorter that I would like (I am 5'7"), so since I have a really nice long black skirt, I decided to get just the top, and wear it with my skirt. My skirt is actually kind of full at the bottom - but very slim fitting at the top - maybe that is called A-line? The dress is really more of a straight skirt, but my skirt is a much nicer one, and longer. I bought my skirt at Lord & Taylor last year, but they had the same one at Hechts. In fact, Hechts has a ton of straight black skirts right now - just as you have described.

I bought a black skirt at Dilliards in a poly-crepe that is machine washable. It was almost straight but with a slight flare at the bottom and the back is floor length and the front is slightly below mid calve. I felt it was a great deal as I can wear it with differant formal tops for a different look. So I plan to have it many years unless I gain or lose too much weight. I have a skirt in black velvet too but as my cruise is in the fall and not winter I figured the new skirt would be more approiate.

Ofcourse you are looking for something more specific - so that skirt would not really be what you wanted anyway. Have you thought of having it made? I have done that a few times-most alteration places will sew something from scratch too-now it is not cheap-but if you get a good seamtress-you don't expect it to be cheap. Ask some friends at work-someone will know a good seamtress who could do that for you.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. :) If I don't like the skirt I ordered, I'll definitely look into your ideas.

happysinglemom,

It sounds like the same top. :) I agree that I like 2 pieces better than the mock 2 piece. You can mix & match.

Archived