Glasgow to Reykjavik on Silver Explorer

mdheaded

I'm looking for reassurances about booking the above cruise on Silver Explorer, doing land time in Scotland pre- and in Iceland post-cruise. Other than a Galapagos trip years ago, I've not been on an "expedition" ship, although I've eyed and researched Linblad, Hanseatic etc. I've done conventional cruises on various since the '60's! I prefer the small ships, e.g. SeaDream (and the predecessor Sea Goddess), Seabourn. I've never been on Corinthian, Orion, etc.) Nor have I been on le Boreal (which Tauck uses for Iceland), a bit too large for an unconventional cruise. Anyway, I'm looking for support for getting to Iceland this way,...and in the process seeing a bit of the Shetland, Hebrides, Faroe Islands. And, incidentally, which of the "expedition gear" offered by Silver Seas is essential for a non-Arctic or Antarctic cruise?

While I haven't been on Explorer yet (we are on in June 2012 Reykjavik to Svalbard), I have done Reykjavik to Southampton with Regent in June, and that included the Faroe Islands, Shetland, and the Hebrides.

So I can answer your clothing question. We didn't take any "special" clothing at all. I took my hiking shoes (not boots), a fleece jacket, a light water proof windbreaker/rain jacket, jeans and a few sweaters. These were more than enough. It was actually pretty nice weather in Iceland. DIdn't need the fleece there. In the Faroes, it was cool and rainy, so layering was key. It was warm everywhere else.

Love the Silver Explorer! Have gone twice and would go again in a second. It's very luxurious for an expedition ship and the food is great! Expedition staff are all first rate.

Doubt you'll need any special clothes for this trip. Iceland is not all that icy; we have been there in January and it was warmer than home. In the summer it's quite pleasant.

Shetlands and Faroes are nice places to visit for a day.

Have fun if you decide to book.

Thanks for your input. Silver Sea's website "gear shop" refers to clothing and footwear appropriate for wet landings from zodiacs. I presume this relates to the Arctic and Antarctic landfalls and not the Faroes, Hebrides, Shetlands,....not Dublin or Reykjavik either, although the sight would probably not go unnoticed by the Dubliners ands Icelanders!

Archived