Best to Book Early or Wait Until A Few Weeks Before Sailing?

MrsB05

It used to be that if you booked early and then there was a price drop, you'd receive an OBC. Now that this is no longer done, I'm struggling with why book early when it seems a few weeks out, the price usually drops. Yes, I know, there is always the chance the ship will be full (but then again, folks drop out a the last moment too) and I know sometimes people want specific staterooms so they book them early to ensure they get them (e.g., we like aft balconies).

Still, I just saw that category D2 on Jewel going out of Tampa 12/15 dropped almost two hundred below what we paid (total) in mid-October,so,I'm staring to wonder if maybe it's just best to wait!

What does everyone else think/do?

If you don't have to fly into port, can be flexible about your vacation time, and don't care what ship, itinerary or cabin you get; you can definately get the best price waiting till the last moment. If you care about any of those things, you should be prepared to be disappointed if you wait.

For instance on our Oasis cruise, the very few interior cabins left cost $500 more pp than my D 1 balcony booked a year out. Maybe they will go down after Thanksgiving, but so far, no. Correction: after checking today 10 days out- all sold out.

I booked our January Serenade cruise back in May of this year. I normally book only a few months out. The price of our E1 hump cabin has increased by $150 per person and according to one of the "price checker" websites, there's only inside and oceanview cabins left. :eek:

I'm glad I booked early now but I totally understand where you're coming from. We love the Southern itinerary and also wanted a specific cabin so that's the reason for booking so early but if I was just going to "cruise" and didn't care about itinerary or ship, I'd definitely wait and hope to grab a last minute deal. ;)

Flying is the big equalizer for me. It is rare that I can catch a last-minute deal and not have the savings erased by airfare. I think it also depends on the ship. You will see better prices on the 4-5 day ships this winter (Jewel and Liberty) but you will not see the same cuts on Oasis and Allure ... they don't want those ships to be on discount.

I'm one for booking early to lock in the cabin, often booking onboard to take advantage of the reduced deposit and $100 OBC. I also watch the price like a hawk. Sometimes I get lucky with a price drop before final payment. Or if the price between balcony and JS is close, I'll take an upgrade.

The flights, when booking last minute, will definitely eat up the savings on the cruise.

Booked Oasis Central park balcony 16 months out for $1009 pp. Now three weeks out it is $2065 pp. Again Oasis is a bad example, other smaller ships or shorter itineraries are likely where the deals can be had. But if you want a big ship, I assume you need to plan far ahead. This is what silentbob said, though.

We booked yesterday for a cruise leaving Monday...it was a last-minute Happy Hour deal....At a price too good to refuse!!

We're both retired, and live in GA... so we can drive (a long drive) to the port at Miami.:)

We booked yesterday for a cruise leaving Monday...it was a last-minute Happy Hour deal....At a price too good to refuse!!

We're both retired, and live in GA... so we can drive (a long drive) to the port at Miami.:)

I want to get to the point in life where we can do exactly what you did!:D

Booking early (usually a year out for us) works for being the most affordable while still giving first pick in stateroom. With DH dealing with motion sickness, I need a central cabin. Lately, with the last couple of cruises I've booked, the price has only gone up! Keep in mind where you live - I'm in MA, so flights can be a pain if trying last-minute deals. I rather booking early and then track hotel and plane costs.

Archived