Souvenier suggestions?

cruisemama5

We are going on the partial transit cruise, so will only be stopping in Colon. I understand there is only small shopping area near the ship. I am wondering if there is anything interesting or special to look for here. We are wondering if there would be anything worth picking up for Christmas presents for our children (all adults), or if it just the same T-shirts, hats, wallets, cheap trinkets you can get all over.

We thought it might be fun to get something on this trip for part of our Christmas gifts.

Since shopping is definitely not my area of expertise, I won't let that stop me from giving advice;):D! Even though I did not actually see these items at the shopping area by the pier I would think there is a good chance you could find them there. Something very unique to Panama is the Mola made by the Kuna Indians one of the indigenous peoples of Panama. Basically it is a reverse applique of many fabrics to form designs. Another thing to look for is tagua nut carvings, these are small ivory like nuts gathered from certain palm trees. They are relatively small (easy to transport) and actually is used in place of ivory. I know this is not really on your list, but there is a tall, blonde American expat usually selling T shirts just before you get back on the ship. He is a serious artist and has a wide range of things to choose from, we've known him and his family for years... he's the only one to stay in Panama. His shirts are some of my son's (adult) favorite.

Happy shopping!

This is nothing specific to any port but we have really gotten out of buying souvenirs. I might pick up a inexpensive T shirt for myself now and then as a cheap work shirt other than that we only get things that can be used as ornaments. Sometimes they are sold as ornaments but usually they are some little trinket signifying the country or port. Strange, but when you put a little hook in some garbage trinket it can turn into a nice memento of the trip. They tend to be inexpensive, easy to pack, are always the right size and you can pick up some extras as emergency gifts.

Coffee. I just got off the Island Princess today. I went to the supermarket in the shopping area and bought several bags, various brands. I brewed a pot of "Duran Cafe Puro - Cafe de Altura - Molido Regular". Best I have tasted in years. Strong but smooth. Not over-roasted or bitter. US$5.69 for about a pound. Check the "use by" date stamped on the bag to fInd the freshest bags. I thought these would make great gifts, but I may have to keep it for myself.

Archived