Adventure of the Seas

Guest OBAYbee
I'm with you I've been trying to get an answere to that question forever. We stayed at the Wyndham right across the street. We purchased mega bottles before getting on the ship. Eventhough we did not open them we did not have to spend our island time buying bottles.

Please let me know if you get any info before August 19th we will find out for ourselves then.

Not sure how much help this site will be, but worth a try to look at the docks etc

http://www.continentalshipping.com/port_of_San_Juan.htm

love-to-cruise: His name is Richard Spacy and he is a gas! Very funny and loves to laugh! He is absolutely everywhere and does everything. I really think he enjoys what he is doing which makes all the guests feel very at home on the ship.

Serena Johnson: Our weather was very good. Temperature ranged between 80 and 85 everyday and no rain until we were in the airport in Puerto Rico st to leave. In Aruba and Curacao it's just plain dry hot with low humidity, like Arizona. The sun is very strong so use lots of sunscreen and take water with you. Saint Maartin and St. Thomas are both much more tropical and a bit more humid. You are starting into the rainy season, but your rain should be minimal. March is the dryest month in the Caribbean.

jbond: Not that I observed. Everyone dressed for dinner with taste. Not to say no jackets on men, but nice pants and polo shirts were the norm, not the exception. Women wore nice pant outfits and summer dresses. If someone underdressed for dinner, they were in the Windjammer. On the Captains Formal everyone was fancy with a few exceptions, and those exceptions wore smart casual.

bayjoens: St. Thomas. Book early however, this is one of the most popular items. It runs $200 to actually swim with the Dolphins, and a little less just to do the encounter. My daughter loved it and we have wonderful pictures along with a video we purchased. The one in St. Thomas as several during the day.

As far as shopping, the only advise I can give you is to know what you are looking for and know what it costs in at home. The dollar is not as strong as it used to be, and prices can fool you. I found the best shopping in St. Maartin and in St. Thomas, but know that most of the shops are all owned by the same companies on each island. The closer you get to the ship, the higher the prices. In the flea markets you can haggle, they expect you to. In the better jewelry shops know your prices.

No one can sit on beaches for 8 hours, so that's why we did a morning tour and afternoon in the sun. Best Snorkle is Aruba and St. Thomas. All islands have beautiful beaches, but as I have said before, Curacao left me missing something. If you go so far away on a trip just to sit in the sun, they why go? You could do that anywhere. Seeing the islands is learning what's different in this world!

lovetocruiserccl: We puchased our bottles in St. Thomas (downtown). Cost less than on the ship and in the mall near the ship. If you buy on board they give you a case to carry the bottles which is nice. We are not big drinkers, but we bought Cream Rum by Cruzan. It ran about $12 per bottle and is wonderful. You can't get it here, but you can buy on line for $20 per bottle plus shipping. We were given the advise to buy things you can not get locally and have always found that to be the best.

Anyone else?

Family w/ teens have done both eastern & western several times. Considering AOS for Apr. 2006. Other teens on board? Is there a full basketball court and rock wall like on Navigator? How did you decide on your hotel in SJ? We like to fly in day before- to relieve stress of airline delays and also to unwind. Unfortunately past experience in SJ. was not impressed. Are there things for families to do- In the past of ship stops it seemed more bar oriented and limited our options for family activites. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for your hotel?

My daughter is on the edge of turning 15, and yes, there were many teens on board. Plenty for them to do as well. Layout is same as Navigator, just a different theme in the decorating.

We stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan (Formerly the Wyndam). We stayed there because it was within walking distance of Old San Juan and close to the docks. There is a great Puerto Rican Restaurant across from the main entrance (in a small shopping center) and Senior Frogs is right around the corner. The rooms are beautiful and the beds are amazing! The hotel was just redecorated last October so everything is new. The only problem we had is that it was Spring Break and three huge ships were docked so the hotel was busy. The rooms were not quite ready when we arrived, but they checked our baggage and we went and had lunch. We were very tired and wanted to go to sleep. It bothered some people, but it wasn't enough to upset me. They let us use the pool up on the roof.

San Juan is not a place I would stay for a week, but then Puerto Ricans might not want to stay a week where I live.

There is a ton of things for familes to do, this is a family oriented ship and you find lots of excursions for families. We used walkie-talkies to keep in touch with each other around the ship so we could all be together and also do what we want.

The hotel cost was $180 per night.

Thanks for the great info on the AOS, we are sailing on her in January/06. :)

You said the Sheraton was recently renovated and you got a pretty decent price for it. We booked the Intercontinental and are paying 259.00 :( Did you book the Sheraton through Priceline or another internet site...or directly with Sheraton? Maybe our rate is so much higher because it is in the winter?

Every single hotel I looked into was $250 and up....

I am sailing on the AOS June 26th. Due to my schedule I have to fly into Puerto Rico the day we set sail. My question is what is the latest you can sign in and board the ship? I know it is scheduled to depart at 10pm and I believe I heard they do the muster at 8pm. Also is there an inline skating track? If so can you rent skates? I heard you can rent skates for the ice rink but just curious about the other. Thanks

Guest OBAYbee
Thanks for the information. I see we are sailing on the same day AOS 8/21/05. See you there.

Finally someone else sailing on that date. Are you coming in pre-cruise? We are staying at the Westin del Rio pre-cruise. We are in JS 1650 and 1652. Hope to meet you!

I see you said you are leaving on 4/30, does that mean you are on the May 1st sailing of AOS? If so, have you signed up for our meet and mingle? We have a thread going on the Roll call board and only need 3 more for our M&M. (Sorry, I don't know how to link to the thread.:( )

Thanks for all the info eye. My mother and I are sailing May 8. She is a big bridge player but I didn't see a cardroom on the deck plans. Do you know if they have a cardroom? BTW, I found a rate of $152 for the Sheraton on our return from the cruise. It may be timing...when did you sail?

Could you please tell me if the slide by the kids pool is for kids of all ages, or just exciting enough for toddlers! I have a 7 yr old DD who loves the slides on Carnival and I would like to take her on one of the RCCL ships with a slide. We have sailed on the Navigator, but they took away the slide.:(

Thanks!

• 11 months later...
We have just returned from the best cruise ever. If you have any questions on the ship, the islands or ??? just reply to this posting and I will be happy to answer.

Islands were: Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Puerto Rico.

;) Hi!

I'm new to this whole thing. Going on our First Cruise Ever! We're sailing on April 30th from PR to Aruba, Curacao, St. Martin & St. Thomas. I noticed you've sailed on different ships. How does the AOS compare to the others? I also note there are two formal nights. Would it be proper to wear a gown to both nights?

I'd love your input. The whole thing seems very overwhelming at the moment.

Thanks!

I'm with you I've been trying to get an answere to that question forever. We stayed at the Wyndham right across the street. We purchased mega bottles before getting on the ship. Eventhough we did not open them we did not have to spend our island time buying bottles.

Please let me know if you get any info before August 19th we will find out for ourselves then.

Inside the port, AFTER going through the metal detector, there is a duty-free liquore store. As the lady behind the counter told us, just put the purchase in our carry-on, and there won't be any problems...and there weren't! After going through the metal detectors, the store is to the left. Since you're already through security, there is no one checking bags after this point, so putting the purchased liquor in your carry-on at this point is O.K. If you were to just walk on board with your purchases, though, in a plastic bag, you will probably have it "confiscated" by RC personnel while boarding (but, to reiterate, at this point they are NOT checking carry-on luggage....that was taken care of at security, BEFORE the liquore store...so putting your new purchase in your carry-on is OK).

Hi, Traveller2006!

We sailed on the NOS last year and I can say that we saw several women wearing evening gowns on both formal nights, but there were many others wearing less formal attire--still very nice, but not full length gowns. I'd say if you have gowns to wear and you enjoy it, definitely do it. But don't feel as though you have to wear a gown, there are many nice outfits that would be just fine as formal wear. Also, I've read here on the boards that some women bring one gown and one cocktail dress or alternative outfit, since packing two gowns can be a challenge.

Have a great time!!

Many thanks to the OP as you have really given many super tips on this cruise, and while we have not booked it yet...we will be in the next day or two. We will be celebrating my youngest daughter's HS graduation. She saw the show previously mentioned and told us that she saw the cruise ship that she wanted to sail. We have never been on a Voyager class ship, but it does not look like you can be bored for a second.

We have been to St. Thomas and St. Martin, so we are thinking about taking our two young ladies to St. John's. It is very beautiful and they did not see it on our last trip. Thanks for the tip on the Sheraton...my TA was looking to book us into Courtyard by Marriott...not sure where that is in relationship to where you stayed, but the TA claims it is not far from the port.

John & Shari

Traveller, welcome to the cruise addicts offcial site... LOL!

Don't feel overwhelmed by what options the cruise offers, what to wear... main thing is to have fun and enjoy the cruise to the fullest. The cruise staff try their best to cater to all passengers, so I'm sure you will like it a lot!!

Formal nights are great, but not mandatory. I usually go either wearing a black suit with shirt and tie, and my wife at least for one formal night uses a knee-length dress. Wearing a gown is great, but not required. Some gentlemen use sport coats, others just long sleeve shirts, tie and dress pants. Some ladies wear pants and combining shirt/suit-like combinations also.

I cannot compare AOS to EOS (formerly Nordic Empress), as the AOS has many more amenities. But, to give you some idea, the service and attentions on both ships were great!

Mandm33 - Matt

You have the year wrong on your signature for Adventure of the Seas which you havent been on yet. You have Jan. 06 which has passed already. You mean 07.'

You do realize that the original post was from April 2005, not this week? It's possible that he did actually cruise in Jan '06, since his first post was a year ago.

You do realize that the original post was from April 2005, not this week? It's possible that he did actually cruise in Jan '06, since his first post was a year ago.

Yup, I posted on this thread a year ago, getting the excitement up for our Jan. 06 cruise! Wow, over a year ago!! We've gotta go again........

Archived