Formal Nights

Need to Know

Hopefully this thread does not descend into a squabble. My interest is not in any individual opinions or even Holland America rules (which based on other threads are not enforced) but rather in the actual statistics.

This will be my first time on a cruise and it will be to Alaska. As I will be on land in Alaska for seven days after the cruise my preference is not to carry a suit and its accoutrements with me if I do not need to do so.

In another thread the only statistic I got was that only 5% of the passengers wore tuxes on formal nights and at another that only two men wore tuxes on formal nights. If these statistics are wrong and thirty percent or more wear tuxes then I would rent the tux and have it delivered on board.

If these statistics are right then what do the other men wear? Is it that 95% wear dark business suits? Or 85% or 75% or 50% or 45% and if not 95% then what are the other types of of clothing and what are the percentages of each type? Ie. Non Dark suit but still a suit? Dark sports coat with tie? Any type sports coat with tie?

Sure I could do my own thing and ignore the crowd. But although the ugly duckling was a beautiful swan he still did not fit in with the ducks. For what its worth as far as clothing on a ship is concerned I'd just as soon be a duck.

If the statistic is 85% or so wear dark suits then I would probably schedule eating at the Buffet rather than haul the suit with me.

Hopefully this thread does not descend into a squabble. My interest is not in any individual opinions or even Holland America rules (which based on other threads are not enforced) but rather in the actual statistics.

There are no statistics, just Hal's suggested dress code or people's opinions.

Everything that I've read here lately suggests that cruisers are getting less and less formal. And Alaska is usually the least formal venue.

I'd suggest that you wait and ask this question again in the late spring.

But I'll be happy to do a rough count on our December cruise and report back. My own spouse will be decked out in his dark suit, and he looks great!

This will be my first time on a cruise and it will be to Alaska. As I will be on land in Alaska for seven days after the cruise my preference is not to carry a suit and its accoutrements with me if I do not need to do so.

In another thread the only statistic I got was that only 5% of the passengers wore tuxes on formal nights and at another that only two men wore tuxes on formal nights. If these statistics are wrong and thirty percent or more wear tuxes then I would rent the tux and have it delivered on board.

If these statistics are right then what do the other men wear? Is it that 95% wear dark business suits? Or 85% or 75% or 50% or 45% and if not 95% then what are the other types of of clothing and what are the percentages of each type? Ie. Non Dark suit but still a suit? Dark sports coat with tie? Any type sports coat with tie?

Sure I could do my own thing and ignore the crowd. But although the ugly duckling was a beautiful swan he still did not fit in with the ducks. For what its worth as far as clothing on a ship is concerned I'd just as soon be a duck.

If the statistic is 85% or so wear dark suits then I would probably schedule eating at the Buffet rather than haul the suit with me.

I've never been on a HAL cruise (mind you, I've been limited to 7 days cruises) where 30% of the men wore tuxes. I would think on longer cruises, the percentages may approach that number.

I've been to Alaska several times, and I would say that 80-90% of the men still wear dark suits and ties in the MDR.

When it comes to formal evening and statistics this board is probably the last place to get any accurate data. I strongly suspect that most of the so called statistics, that relate to formal dress, presented on this forum are really a reflections of the author's personal opinions and desires.

You know what they say about statistics.....figures lie and liers figure.

Nothing but a can of worms for a bunch of diverse opinions.

Alaska is a port intensive sail and many if not all your shore activites will get you back to the ship after 5 or 6..

And you will be tired too because of the extended daylight hours like the sun goes down like at 11 pm.

That said there will be only 2 formal nights even if you wanted to.

You may find it tedious to sit 2+ hours for dinner after all that.

You may discover as did my wife and I that the Lido offers all the food choices that the main dining room does... actualy more and if you come back beat maybe you dont want all the studd maybe a bowl of soup and a small salad.

If you do choose the main dining room, I would wear at the least slacks a collared shirt with tie and a blazer. Just good manners to respect others.

When I dined in the Lido on a recent 30 day trip,on Formal nights I would wear a jacket and slacks aroung the ship even though I did not dine in the formal setting.

Archived