Staterooms with balcony - safe for curious kids?

dishealth11

On NCL Dawn stateroom BB with balcony, does the balcony have a childproof lock? What kind of barrier is there between balcony and ocean??

Would this room type be recommended for small child age 4 or even 6--is it safe for curious kids?

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed on a different ship in December with our boys aged 4 and 5. We had a suite with a balcony and not once did our normally very curious boys attempt to climb upto the balcony or any barrier. Prior to leaving for the cruise, we told the boys how dangerous it would be for them to do this and that the captain would be upset with them. They can both swim a bit but understood the danger of the sea. I told them that at all times when they were on the balcony they were to keep both of their feet on the ground. My boys climb everything at home and we were so proud of their behaviour that we are going back this year. We never let them on the balcony on their own and also booked a higher level suite with the lifeboats under our balcony, although as we well know they would still get extremely hurt should they fall into one of these boats but it also had a gave me a sense of relief knowing that they would protect them from the sea. Just explain to your children and I'm sure they be fine. It is worth taking the larger room with the balcony as they have room to play in the room and also should they go to bed early you can relax with a drink on the balcony.

• 2 months later...

I have cruised the Dawn twice on balcony cabins without any problem with my kid (11yrs) but if your kids are way too curious, I suggest you to remove the table and chairs from the balcony. Even when the rail is about 4 1/2 in height (with very thick acrylic pannels) its better to be safe than sorry.

Perhaps someone who has had a balcony on the Dawn can describe the door latch/lock setup.

On Carnival Glory, our balcony door had a latch up high where our 5 year old could not reach, and the door was too heavy to open by herself. She came out on the porch under closely supervised conditions only, standing on the deck so the rail was as high as her head. The chairs were kept along the back wall away from the railing.

We were confident there was no danger following these simple safe precautions.

Even when the rail is about 4 1/2 in height (with very thick acrylic pannels) its better to be safe than sorry.
Not too many of us would venture out onto a balcony with a rail only 4 1/2 inches in height! :eek: :p

Archived