Amex Travel Insurance

Spender Nui

I would go to insurmytrip.com

Amex will not be listed there but you can pull other policies and then compare them to Amex. For us Amex did not cover the complete set of items that we needed and that other insurance companies covered.

Keith

Actually, I show two Amex plans on insuremytrip. If you're not seeing them they may not be available to residents of your state.

Thanks for the responses. I've often used insure my trip.com but wondering if anyone had used AMEX and what their experiences have been.

In the insuremytrip site you'll find about 350 reviews from users of these plans. Pay special attention to the reviews from those that actually had to file claims as that's where you really find out how the customer service is.

• 3 weeks later...

We took out AMEX insurance and had to put in a claim after we got home from our TA. AMEX was great and had a check back to us within 10 days! I was so worried that we would have to "go thru hoops" for our pre-payment of a shuttle but AMEX came through for us. Our flight was delayed and they paid for the taxi we ended up having to take.

I will use them again definitely. The claim process was easy and they were very polite.

• 2 weeks later...
We always take insurance, sometimes through the cruise line but usually independently. Recently became aware of Amex Travel Insurance and considering it. Has anyone used it, and what is your opinion?

I have Amex yearly health insurance but will probably not renew since they do not cover pre existing conditions.

HTH Worldwide apparently covers pre existing on a yearly policy.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you talking about a separate Amex policy available for purchase or the travel insurance that comes with the Platinum and Centurion cards?

The travel insurance that comes with our card here in Spain is wonderful.

Once we were bumped off a flight to South America from our home city in Spain and couldn't leave until the next day. Amex insurance in this case pays up to 250 euros per person in meal and incidental expenses even if you are in your home city.

On another trip our luggage didn't make it to New York with us. Amex insurance let us buy two Armani suits, shirts and ties plus underwear and toiletries and other incidental items to get us through our business meetings until our luggage caught up with us.

When you open a claim with them, you purchase your items on your Amex card and they cancel the charges a few days later.

It was a pleasure to use this insurance.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Archived