S/s Ariadne?

• 2 months later...

Hi, Guys,

I have a luggage tag from my late grandmother's trip in December 1969 aboard the S.S. Ariadne (not M.S.) of Eastern Steamship Lines, Inc. Would this be the same Ariadne of which you speak?

I have a luggage tag from my late grandmother's trip in December 1969 aboard the S.S. Ariadne (not M.S.) of Eastern Steamship Lines, Inc. Would this be the same Ariadne of which you speak?

It would be. Apparently whoever at Eastern Steamship who designed that baggage tag wasn't aware of the method of propulsion of their own ship :eek: !

• 4 weeks later...

I never knew this. We also took this ship in 1971. We still have the breakfast, lunch and dinner menus and they all show S/S Ariadne. Thanks for the information! We loved the ship because it was our first cruise.

OK, after some further digging it seems I was misinformed - ARIADNE was indeed a steamer.

Don't know where I got it into my head that she was a motorship - I did read it somewhere, but I guess it wasn't a very good source :o !

So Eastern Steamship did know what they were doing after all...

You could have fooled me! Anyway, thanks for the information on the website with her history. That was interesting. Cruise Critic remains a great place to get and share information about cruising and ships. And that is in part because of the good job done by the hosts!

You could have fooled me!

Well, I was fooled myself. Guess I shouldn't be so gullible ;) .

It really is rather embarrassing when one passes on information one considers to be from a good source, only to find it innacurate :eek: !

Thanks for your kind words.

Archived