asia currency

lolmerry

Hi im on the Zaandam in Jan sailing singapore,Thailand,Vietnam,Cambodia,sanya(china) departing at HongKong for a couple if days ,Can anyone tell me if i can change USA,Dollars into local currency on the ship,is there facilities to do this,And if anyone knows which of these countries will accept USA Dollars it will be most helpfull

Many Thanks

You do not want to change money on the ship as they have a high fee to do this. Go to ATM machines to get money in local currency. I use a Charles Schwab card tied to my checking account with them and they do not charge any ATM fees (actually they reimburse the fees).

Hi im on the Zaandam in Jan sailing singapore,Thailand,Vietnam,Cambodia,sanya(china) departing at HongKong for a couple if days ,Can anyone tell me if i can change USA,Dollars into local currency on the ship,is there facilities to do this,And if anyone knows which of these countries will accept USA Dollars it will be most helpfull

Many Thanks

It would be best if you were to purchase your currency at home, ?through the AAA if you are able, in advance of departing on your trip! :)

I have found that the only country that refuses to take US$ is Australia. Small street venders in remote places do not like to take $ as it is hard for them to get to a bank. I have not had a problem with dollars in the countrys you mentioned. I would not exchange money unless you are going to make expensive purchases and then I use a credit card with no fee for money exchanges.

I get our currency at the local Wells Fargo bank. The exchange rate is better than AAA. Our local AAA gets their currency packs from Wells Fargo - and adds on their commission. Once AAA told me that, it made it a no-brainer. However, if the USD is sinking, you'll get the exchange rate on the day AAA bought the packs from Wells Fargo, not the current day's rate. That may make up for the extra cost. Non Wells Fargo customers also pay a $5 fee. That could also make a difference.

The International teller at the bank did let me know that I'd get better rates exchanging any leftover foreign currency back to USD on board the ship rather than waiting until we return home.

Archived