Viking Clara Schumann Room Problem

cadreamer

I am writing to caution anyone planning a cruise on the Clara Schumann on the Elbe. We did this trip this past summer(2011) and were initially thrilled to get one of the large newly refurbished rooms with hotel style beds and balcony(category AX). We were very disappointed to find that there are some type of exhaust pipes right outside the door to the French balcony of room 205 and this causes noxious fumes to come into the room. There seems to be no way to stop this. Folks in 203 also smelled them but they were not as bad there and folks in 204 also smelled them in their room but again not so bad. Avoid Room 205. I really don't think there is anything they do to can remedy this. When I reported this at first they acted "surprised" but finally one of the staff admitted it has been an ongoing problem. One morning I awakened in the room filled with fumes. It was very unsettling. It did however come and go but for at least two mornings it was terrible and at other times it was bearable.

This was not how I wanted to spend my trip. I would suggest checking with the cruse line about this if you are planning to book any of these rooms. Maybe they have been able to fix the problem.

I am writing to caution anyone planning a cruise on the Clara Schumann on the Elbe. We did this trip this past summer(2011) and were initially thrilled to get one of the large newly refurbished rooms with hotel style beds and balcony(category AX). We were very disappointed to find that there are some type of exhaust pipes right outside the door to the French balcony of room 205 and this causes noxious fumes to come into the room. There seems to be no way to stop this. Folks in 203 also smelled them but they were not as bad there and folks in 204 also smelled them in their room but again not so bad. Avoid Room 205. I really don't think there is anything they do to can remedy this. When I reported this at first they acted "surprised" but finally one of the staff admitted it has been an ongoing problem. One morning I awakened in the room filled with fumes. It was very unsettling. It did however come and go but for at least two mornings it was terrible and at other times it was bearable.

This was not how I wanted to spend my trip. I would suggest checking with the cruse line about this if you are planning to book any of these rooms. Maybe they have been able to fix the problem.

Dear cadreamer,

Thank you for joining us on the Elegant Elbe. We are sorry to hear about your experience on the Viking Schumann. The situation you’re describing does sound rather unusual and we would welcome the opportunity to speak with you about it in more detail. We hope that you will contact us directly at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com.

Warm Regards,

Viking River Cruises

Archived