Jewel concierge lounge and penthouse balcony questions

dsaurus

I just booked an aft penthouse suite on the 10th deck on the jewel in Feb. I looked at the amenities and it mentions a concierge lounge, but I can't find it listed on the deck plans anywhere. Can anyone tell me where it is located and what they have there? Will my 3 year old be allowed to go in there with me?

Also, I had a choice of either the 8th or 10th deck and chose the 10th because someone said they thought the balconies are a little larger on that deck. Does anyone know if that is the case?

I've never gone on NCL before and am a little nervous about the freestyle dining. Waiting to eat is ok for me, but waiting too long in one place with a 3 year old can end up being painful for him, me and anyone in the near vicinity of us. Does anyone know if suite guests gets any perks like being able to make a reservation in the MDR's? He's usually very good in restaurants, it's just the waiting that's bad. (In real life usually one of us waits with him in the car or we just skip restaurants that have waits completely- just don't want to do that on the ship)

The lounge is on the 15th deck which you access via a stairwell on the 14th deck between the 2 garden villas. They have a TV and snacks (including M&Ms) during the day. It a quiet spot overlooking the pool deck. We were on the Jewel in August and there was rarely anybody in the lounge.

The lounge is on the 15th deck which you access via a stairwell on the 14th deck between the 2 garden villas. They have a TV and snacks (including M&Ms) during the day. It a quiet spot overlooking the pool deck. We were on the Jewel in August and there was rarely anybody in the lounge.

I may be wrong , but if I remember right, you can't get up there without having the card to go into elevator to 14th floor, and you only get that if you are in Haven rooms.

I think there's a separate one just for the Haven suites, but the amenities list for the non-haven penthouses and other suites also says there's a concierge lounge available. That's the one I'm asking about.

The separate one on the 15th deck is accessible with special keycard for deck 14 only, so I don't think it can be accessed from other suites - but no fear, you aren't missing much. It's basically just an unattended room with a bit of furniture and perhaps coffee and an occasional snack (that can be easily picked off the buffet as well). It does have a good view, but not much better than the view from Cagney's and really offers very little for amenities - it's hardly ever used. On ships that do not have a dedicated concierge lounge, the Star Bar at Cagney's is accessible for suites only during the day and is often referred to as the "concierge lounge" - again, not much there, but at least that one has a bar and bartender (not free) if you want something - that is likely what you are referring to..

Robin

I just booked an aft penthouse suite on the 10th deck on the jewel in Feb. I looked at the amenities and it mentions a concierge lounge, but I can't find it listed on the deck plans anywhere. Can anyone tell me where it is located and what they have there? Will my 3 year old be allowed to go in there with me?

Also, I had a choice of either the 8th or 10th deck and chose the 10th because someone said they thought the balconies are a little larger on that deck. Does anyone know if that is the case?

I've never gone on NCL before and am a little nervous about the freestyle dining. Waiting to eat is ok for me, but waiting too long in one place with a 3 year old can end up being painful for him, me and anyone in the near vicinity of us. Does anyone know if suite guests gets any perks like being able to make a reservation in the MDR's? He's usually very good in restaurants, it's just the waiting that's bad. (In real life usually one of us waits with him in the car or we just skip restaurants that have waits completely- just don't want to do that on the ship)

We've sailed in an aft "penthouse" suite on Deck 10 on the Jade, one of the sister ships of the Jewel. Yes, the balconies on Deck 10 are larger (deeper). Below is a photo of the balcony that I've posted before. You'll love it.

At least on the Jade, there was no "concierge lounge" for "penthouse" guests as most people would understand the word "lounge" (and from the comments above, the situation on the Jewel seems to be the same). During breakfast and lunch, the concierge would be at a desk just outside Cagney's in the Star Bar. At other times, we could find her in her office near Guest Services.

Freestyle dining is wonderful; it's probably NCL's biggest advantage over other cruise lines. I believe your concierge should be able to make reservations for you in the MDRs. I will also add that we've never had to wait very long for a table in the MDRs; maybe that's just our good luck!

Have a wonderful cruise!

MedCruise2010630.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Thanks, this pic is awesome! I always seem to have fun no matter what...but it's nice to know that balcony is a good size. There's definitely some room to stretch out and move around on this one. I had a regular (non-suite) aft cabin on a celebrity ship once and the balcony was so deep you could have easily parked a car in it. It looks like the Norwegian Jewel class puts the deepest ones in the front. We opted for the aft instead because we figured the wind on the front balconies going in and out of new york in Feb would be pretty chilly coming right at you.

Thanks so much! That's the exact cabin we booked. The music is real pretty too. Did it come automatically with one lounger and one upright chair on the balcony or were there more?

That's the way it was when we got there. However, please know that you can ask your butler for whatever you want, and he (or she) will get it for you. We were happy with one chair and one lounger, since only one of us at a time seemed to feel like leaning back and vegging out. :)

We also had an aft penthouse on our last cruise and loved it. Be sure you take advantage of Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. It was never crowded and the staff there will love having your 3 yr old to fuss over. There were several kids there on our cruise, who got a lot of attention. Freestyle dining can be great with a young child. You can plan to eat on their schedule. We never waited at the MDR either.

Archived