Lets boycott RCCL's new alcohol purchase policy

MrChuckFL

We were on Jewel of the Seas right before Thanksgiving and they also had the pick up on the disembarkation day. We purchased a bottle of tequila in Cozumel and carried it on. They found us and directed us to the table to check our bottles but they were so busy we just kept walking.

We ended up buying two bottles of liquor in Costa Maya and were again stopped at the x-ray machine and directed to "the Table". Fortunately the people in front of us had a water bottle in their backpack and the inspector got distracted so we again walked right past with our purchases. We didn't open any of these bottles in our cabin as they were Christmas presents but I would say that trying to pack these three bottles in my luggage either after we collected our suitcases or at the airport would have been a royal pain in the A:p:confused:! It took me 15-20 minutes trying to figure out which bottle could go in which suitcase without going over the 50 pound limit. So yes, it can be a big deal to just put the bottle in your freakin suitcase the next day!

I will say that because of their policies we did purchase the wine package instead of smuggling a bottle on board. We found that you can go up to the Windjammer at 5:00 or whenever they open for dinner and pick up your bottle to take back to your room. They even gave us wine or champagne glasses and opened the bottle if we wanted. We did have an extra bottle left over (it was only a 5 night cruise) which I also had to pack into my suitcases with the other 3 bottles of liquor. So we paid a premium price for some cheaper wines but at least we had something to sip in our cabin while we were dressing for dinner!

We purchased the Wine Package on our Oasis crusie last month and ended up drinking wine day and night. Even got a bottle at the WJ for BREAKFAST once. Obviously, we had too many bottles for a 7 day cruise:eek:

I agree with you totally. We split 6 bottles between 3 suitcases and also had to juggle things so we didn't go over the 50 lb limit. Not to mention that I made sure all the liquor was securely packed and cushioned between clothes to avoid breakage. Can't imagine having to do this while trying to disembark :eek: It's not a simple thing at all - unless maybe you only have 1 bottle :rolleyes:

I agree that for some it may be simple, but for those of us who are also juggling packing fragile gifts and a full suitcase, trying to repack some wine or liquor in the am while trying to disembark (I use self-disembarkation) and get to your ride to get to the airport would be a nightmare.

Oh for the good old days when you could bring your carry-on crate of liquor/wine onto the airplane.

Personally if I had to retrieve and pack in the am, I would likely not buy any alcohol unless I arranged shipping from the seller.

I will be checking with folks who sail right before me on the Mariner out of Rome next spring. Hopefully, that will give me some guidance as to whether this is fleet-wide policy or just applying to some sailings.

We sailed on the Monarch in April and going to the store, standing in the line was an inconvenience and something that surprised us. It was the most time we spent in a line during the entire cruise. We had never sailed Monarch, but had sailed 10 previous cruises on RCI. We sailed on FOS in July, and the liquor was delivered to the cabin on the last night, same as usual. I don't know if it was because it's such a short cruise or what, but this is not fleetwide. We joked after walking away with our liquor that it was just for this cruise because we had never seen so many "future AA members" on a cruise before. There were numerous arguments from passengers in the line and the poor clerk at the shop was cursed, harrassed and given nasty looks. These people were SERIOUS about their liquor with most commenting they had planned on drinking the liquor on the last night after delivery and RCI had ruined their last night by not delivering it. It was really ugly behavior.

Only once did we have to go and pick it up in the morning of the last day, and that was a spring break weekend cruise. In Oct, it was delivered the last night as is normal. Going on Liberty in 2 weeks, so will find out how they do it.

I am with the others though in wanting it the night before to pack. I bring rumrunners with me to pour the bottles into. Much easier to pack than the glass bottles and then don't have to worry about breakage. Also the weight of the bottles (if flying) makes a huge difference. So getting the bottles the night before makes it much easier to transfer and then pack.

Oh wow Carnival tried this and it failed big time. They are back to delivering it to the cabins

Not necessarily. I was on a Carnival cruise in early November. I bought liquor in the morning on the last full day and was told to come back after 7 pm to pick it up. Yet I saw plenty of cabin attendants delivering boxes of liquor. So I'm guessing that if you buy it earlier in the cruise, they still deliver.

If it took you twenty minutes to pack a bottle of liquor then I would suggest you buy your liquor closer to home.

We bring a luggage scale so we can weigh our bags. They are very inexpensive and can be found at luggage stores, Walmart, Target and many other stores. A pint of liquor weighs a pound so before you buy that bottle in port, make sure you actually have room for it. Allow a few pounds for the glass bottle also. If you checked luggage weighing almost 50 pounds prior to your cruise, it will still weigh the same after your cruise so you should probably not buy anything heavy unless you have frequent flyer status or are flying first class.

Really not too difficult to figure out.

We actually have a luggage scale, which I put to good use! It took that long because I had 3 bottles of liquor and a bottle of wine to fit into 2 suitcases that were either already pretty full or very close to the weight limit. I am not an idiot, I just don't pack light. Hadn't really planned on buying any liquor but we just couldn't resist the opportunity.

Only once did we have to go and pick it up in the morning of the last day, and that was a spring break weekend cruise. In Oct, it was delivered the last night as is normal. Going on Liberty in 2 weeks, so will find out how they do it.

I am with the others though in wanting it the night before to pack. I bring rumrunners with me to pour the bottles into. Much easier to pack than the glass bottles and then don't have to worry about breakage. Also the weight of the bottles (if flying) makes a huge difference. So getting the bottles the night before makes it much easier to transfer and then pack.

Hadn't thought about that - reverse transfer so to speak. Most people use the rum runners to sneak the liquor in, not to take it out. Great suggestion!

If this policy remains, I will cease all alcohol purchases. I have to fly to/from any port which means any alcohol that I purchase has to be packed securely/safely in my checked baggage. There is no way I am going to collect my alcohol purchases during chaotic debarkation, retrieve my luggage at customs and then try to unpack and repack my carry on luggage on the floor of the port or airport. Ain't gonna happen.

Sorry RCCl but this is one big backfire in my eyes as it will encourage me not to purchase ANY alcohol vs. buying some on board and enjoying a little on the last night if I choose or at least being able to safely pack it at my own leisure.

Gina

We sailed on the Monarch in April and going to the store, standing in the line was an inconvenience and something that surprised us. It was the most time we spent in a line during the entire cruise. We had never sailed Monarch, but had sailed 10 previous cruises on RCI. We sailed on FOS in July, and the liquor was delivered to the cabin on the last night, same as usual. I don't know if it was because it's such a short cruise or what, but this is not fleetwide. We joked after walking away with our liquor that it was just for this cruise because we had never seen so many "future AA members" on a cruise before. There were numerous arguments from passengers in the line and the poor clerk at the shop was cursed, harrassed and given nasty looks. These people were SERIOUS about their liquor with most commenting they had planned on drinking the liquor on the last night after delivery and RCI had ruined their last night by not delivering it. It was really ugly behavior.

Agree. The 3 and 4 night sailings on the Monarch are Booze Cruises full of people who drive to the port. If RCL misses out on one night of drink sales out of 3 they may not make a profit, hence the new policy. But then it is only a matter of time until the Monarch is history anyways.

Archived