Mini-suites on the Star

MariahJ

I'm most likely going to book a 10-night E. Caribbean cruise on the Star for next November and trying to decide which room to book. My DH and I have an interesting history of booking rooms; on cruises 1-5, which we took by ourselves, we booked an inside cabin because we were hardly in the room. However, on our last cruise we booked a deluxe owner's suite because we had our 15 month-old with us and grandma as babysitter. Next year we won't bring Grandma because our DD will be old enough for the kid's club. We still need a much bigger room than the inside cabin because we'll be spending quite a bit of time there for naps, etc. My questions are as follows:

- Do you think the mini-suite will be adequate for a toddler to have a little bit of space to run around, and not too disappointing after the owner's suite?

- I see that the aft-facing mini-suites are quite a bit more expensive than the standard mini-suites. What could possibly make them worth an extra $400 pp? I see they are 20 sf bigger but that's not much. I'm considering going with the mini-suite guarantee.

TIA for your advice!

I'm most likely going to book a 10-night E. Caribbean cruise on the Star for next November and trying to decide which room to book. My DH and I have an interesting history of booking rooms; on cruises 1-5, which we took by ourselves, we booked an inside cabin because we were hardly in the room. However, on our last cruise we booked a deluxe owner's suite because we had our 15 month-old with us and grandma as babysitter. Next year we won't bring Grandma because our DD will be old enough for the kid's club. We still need a much bigger room than the inside cabin because we'll be spending quite a bit of time there for naps, etc. My questions are as follows:

- Do you think the mini-suite will be adequate for a toddler to have a little bit of space to run around, and not too disappointing after the owner's suite?

- I see that the aft-facing mini-suites are quite a bit more expensive than the standard mini-suites. What could possibly make them worth an extra $400 pp? I see they are 20 sf bigger but that's not much. I'm considering going with the mini-suite guarantee.

TIA for your advice!

Mariah,

1 - big enough for a toddler to have running room? yes (altho I'm not sure any place is big enough when one really gets going)... Not disappointing after the owner's suite? Sorry, but it will certainly be disappointing (1/3 - 1/4 the room and none of the perks that come with suites)

2 - A lot of what you're paying for with the aft rooms is the aft balcony view, which is lovely, but only you can decide if it is worth the $$. By the way, only go w/the guarantee if you'll be happy w/any mini-suite. Be sure that some aren't located in a place that may get baby-waking noise (under a disco, for instance).

By the way, I think the mini is a good idea with a toddler for the bathtub. When our dd was a toddler she hated showers.

Hope you have a great cruise. :)

I don't see a 10 day eastern itinerary on the Norwegian Star for Nov 2012 but maybe it just isn't showing up for some reason.

Toddler probably won't spend too long at a time in the kids club. What you might compare cost on is bringing grandma along again and sharing a family suite. They are really nice with lots of room and a full window wall. The SJ without balcony is often the lowest cost full suite option. SG's have the balcony and are still reasonably priced for suite privileges. Both options have double sinks and both a bathtub and a very nice separate shower.

If pricing doesn't work out the mini-suite would work but after owners suite it's hard going back :)

I don't see a 10 day eastern itinerary on the Norwegian Star for Nov 2012 but maybe it just isn't showing up for some reason.

/quote]

Oops, I meant the Sun!! I just got off the Star so it is on my brain. Time for an edit!

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Caribbean-Southern, 10 Days

Norwegian Sun / Norwegian Cruise Line

Oh and I don't see the SJ on the Sun. It looks like it's a mini-suite or the penthouse (SG/SF/SE)

That's a horse of a different color! The Sun mini suites are MUCH nicer than the Star mini suites. They have a wonderful walk in closet, large tub, wonderful rooms! We had one near the front facing suites, no problems for us with movement. They have far fewer mini suites on the sun, you might be OK with a guarantee unless you are fussy.

Folks who love the aft minis swear by them...only you can tell if it is worth it for you.

For what it's worth, if you can swing a full suite on the Sun, they are extra special because there are so few suites on that ship.

Enjoy!:D

Archived