Whole milk on Princess?

JinxyB

We are cruising on Princess this Sunday and I was wondering if whole milk is available. I searched over on the Princess boards and see that it is out in pitchers on the buffet. Has anyone asked for individual containers of whole milk and received them? I won't give my son milk that has been handled, sneezed in, etc. and may bring a cooler with a gallon of milk in it for him. Any recent advice? Thanks!

The milk comes in individual cartons...like you get in a school! Pints or 1/2 pints...can't remember. No one will have "sneezed" in it.

A child will do quite well on 2% if whole isn't avail. for 1 week. All of the nutrients are the same, except for the fat content. "Whole" milk has 4% milkfat.....2% is 1/2 of that.

There is no way to keep a whole gallon of milk at the proper temperature for a week...don't bring your own milk!

When my twins were still on whole milk (at 13 months), we sailed on Princess, which, at least at the time, did not serve whole milk. Our pediatrician said there was absolutely no harm in drinking reduced fat milk for a couple weeks since it has the same nutrients, just less fat. They more than made up for the reduced fat eating the amazing fettucini alfredo :). You can order milk from room service 24/7.

I agree with CB - I wouldn't bring a gallon of milk. If you're worried about the safety of milk on board (I've never seen a complaint about that in the years I've been on this board), you can bring a case of the little cartons that don't require being kept cold. I know Horizon makes them - not sure who else.

Best,

Mia

Thanks for the responses, and I look forward to the individual cartons for my son. He will be 12 months and has been making the transition to milk, so I am kind of paranoid...I'm just imagining pitchers of milk open to the air with germs and people coughing/sneezing all over it! I forgot about room service, which will be nice to use to get milk. Princess does have a baby food program which we are using to get cereal, gerber baby foods, and juice, so that is a plus!

We sail Princess with our 11 month (turning 1 on the cruise) LO the week after you. DS is allergic to milk and drinks soy, but I was told by Princess special needs dept. that I could order this from room service as well. I plan to order a couple of glasses each morning and keep them in the fridge for easy access throughout the day. You could do the same with milk.

The open (well they are actually covered) pitchers that people speak of is really milk/cream for coffee, not just milk to drink. I have always seen cartons of milk available in the buffet, but if you don't seem them as a server and they will get you some.

Enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off of the Ruby Princess on 12/4 and had no problem getting whole milk. I didn't see any cartons of milk like in the past. They were in containers that were sealed though. Also, when I called room service for whole milk they brought them in glasses covered with plastic wrap. Thankfully my son is 2 and drinks from a glass, but we also used straws to help when needed. But I never had a problem getting whole for my son or skim for myself.

Archived