Shoes for Cave Tubing??

mkleblanc

Hi-

We are going cave tubing in Belize in March and I was wondering what people wear on their feet for this sort of thing? Initially I was thinking of wearing my sneakers since there is a bit of walking to do before getting to the tubing part but realized we are going zip lining the next day in Roatan and need to wear them for that and don't want them to still be wet. Are flip flops ok, would (ugly) water shoes be better? Anyone have experience cave tubing and what'd you wear on your feet??

I wore a pair of old sneakers that I was prepared to throw out. They got really muddy. You may want Teva's or something like that. Keep in mind that you'll likely be hiking through the jungle for a bit. Not sure if (ugly) water shoes would be up for that... I also wore an old-ish pair of shorts since I didn't want to wear a new-ish bathing suit & be scraping the bottom of it along the rocks, potentially snagging it.

Think muddy, rocky & wet. Then decide what'll work best. Have fun!!! :D

I wore a pair of old sneakers that I was prepared to throw out. They got really muddy. You may want Teva's or something like that. Keep in mind that you'll likely be hiking through the jungle for a bit. Not sure if (ugly) water shoes would be up for that... I also wore an old-ish pair of shorts since I didn't want to wear a new-ish bathing suit & be scraping the bottom of it along the rocks, potentially snagging it.

Think muddy, rocky & wet. Then decide what'll work best. Have fun!!! :D

Thank you! Didn't even consider the muddy factor. Good point. That helps!

I have not gone cave tubing, but did go Mountain biking in Jamaica in unbelievably bad weather! I have Merrell WaterPros and the hubby has Salomon Techamphibians. Both styles are tie on type shoes that are light, sturdy enough to be "real" shoes and are mostly nylon mesh with a removable quick drying insole. the bottoms of the shoes even have drainage holes so you don't have "squishy" feet all day! You also get the benefit of shoes that will dry in time for your next day's adventure. They work equally well with light nylon running socks for extended walking. I have never regretted the $ spent on them, they have seen the sand of many Carribbean beaches! :)

http://www.zappos.com/water-shoes-shoes/CK_XAToCzQniAgIHAQ.zso?ot=water+shoes&s=goliveRecentSalesStyle/desc/#!/water-shoes-women-shoes/CK_XAToCzQnAAQHiAgMHARg.zso?ot=water+shoes&s=brandNameFacet/asc/productName/asc

I used the classic teva sandals and they worked fine for me--however, it wasn't too muddy that day; just a bit. The walk really isn't that far or that bad.

I think our tour did have the cheapo type of water shoes available if you needed them. Personally, I would not want to have a wet, muddy pair of tennis shoes to take back to the ship; maybe bring an old pair and then throw them?

But I also wouldn't want to waste packing space on old tennies.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived