Review of Mariner -Thanksgiving cruise

For the first time on any cruise, we ate dinner in the Windjammer; and we were quite impressed with the selection, the service and the atmosphere.

I think over the past several years the food has gotten better in the Windjammer and has declined slightly in most dining rooms. Especially if you eat later in the evening when it is quiet. The service is very attentive. I always look for the freshest selections, those that have just been refreshed, when they are at their peak. That is one of the secrets to enjoying your food up there. The food is not getting any happier after it's been sitting for 15 or more minutes. It has become my venue of choice now for dinner, with the exception of Chops & Portofino. David

* How many different ice shows do they have? How many times do they repeat each show? I understand you need to get tickets in advance (or use the stand-by line). How do you know when the tickets are available and do they hand out all the shows at one time or is each performance given out separately?

There were four shows. You need a ticket to attend. If I remember correctly they handed out all tickets on the morning of Day #2 beginning at 9:00 on Deck 3. The show times were for something like Day 3 @ 3:00, Day 4 at 7:00 and 9:00, and Day 7 at 7:00 (all times PM.) Each show lasted about one hour.

* How were the holiday decorations? Is it pretty festive on board?

They had Thanksgiving decorations up along the Royal Promenade -- beginning on Thursday and lasting through the end of the cruise. The only Christmas decoration was an enormous wreath that hung in the forward Centrum from Deck 12 all the way down to Deck 4. Presumably additional decorations are being added this week and next week.

There were four shows. You need a ticket to attend. If I remember correctly they handed out all tickets on the morning of Day #2 beginning at 9:00 on Deck 3.

Get there early. Some friends went at 10:30 to get tickets and they were already sold out for the week.

Get there early. Some friends went at 10:30 to get tickets and they were already sold out for the week.

Good call, Beth. I was there at 9:15 AM, and the first show (3:00 for the next day) was already sold out. (The tickets are free.)

Thank you. That's very helpful. For some reason I had gotten the impression there were 2 different ice shows, so thanks for clarifying.

I've read one reviewer who mentioned a lot of venues seemed to have switched to more C&W music. Is the Jazz club up in the Viking Crown still mostly Jazz or has that changed? We like C&W music, but enjoy having some variety as well. My in-laws love 40's big band music as well, are there places they can find that?

Anyone recently been to Izumi? What types of Asian dishes do they serve? Is sushi available at lunch?

Thanks so much

Archived