Review of Mariner -Thanksgiving cruise

Review of Mariner of the Seas 11-20-2011 (Thanksgiving Cruise)

Leaving Dallas and driving to Galveston Sunday morning. There were 7 of us, 2 vehicles following each other from Dallas to Galveston. Left out at 6:15am. The weather was warm and a little drizzle when we left. It soon burned off and the sun came out and it was a very pleasant drive. Of course, there were about 3 stops on the way down to Galveston. One stop was to have breakfast. We arrived in Galveston around 11am and the men dropped us off at the port where the porters took our luggage and we waited on the guys to come back after parking the vehicles in Port of Galveston Parking Lot; $70 for week.

We were through security and received our Set n Sail cards and had to wait about 10 mins before they boarded us. I did notice that there was no champagne this time while we waited. Maybe it was because of all the children onboard (900 kids). Or maybe Port of Galveston would not allow it because of the Texas Liquor Law. There was water and cookies though. It was a little after Noon and we headed up the gangway. Got a family picture taken and then the sounds I’ve been waiting for “ding, Welcome Back, Linda”!

We went to the Wig n Gavel for our usual Bloody Marys and toast to our next 7 days onboard the Mariner of the Seas......to be continued!

Ship Information:

Captain Per Kristoffersen – we have had the privilege of cruising with Capt. Per many times. I was very happy to see him onboard.

Cruise Director Paul Rutter – Paul has been in the cruise industry for over 20 yrs. Have sailed with Paul several times also.

Loyalty & Cruise Sales Mgr. Stella DiTrapani

Concierge Lounge Nadia Gruber – 1st time to have her and she was fabulous. Luca Lori is on vacation.

The ship is really in pretty good shape. It is due for drydock in April 2012 after leaving Galveston. The crew is constantly cleaning and polishing. In the Lotus Lounge there were several broken chairs and worn. I’m sure they will replace these during drydock.

Cabins:

Our family had 3 different cabins. We were in a D1-1588; our DD and son-in-law were in the connecting Grand Suite 1586 and our son-in-law’s parents were in an inside across the hall 1583. All of our cabins were very spacious, clean and everything was in working order. We had one of the best cabin attendants ever…Hi Demaris. She saw to it that our every need was met and then some. I cannot say enough about her. It really makes a difference, when you have a good attendant. Just so that you know, there is no more ice buckets in the cabin. Your attendant will add it, but you have to ask. Of course, our DD’s GS had an ice bucket and was filled all the time. It was no biggy to us, but I know some of you cruisers, this will make a difference. Just ask for an ice bucket....to be continued. Sorry, but the phone keeps ringing...be back.

Day 1-There was so much exploring to do. We had 1st time cruisers with us and so it is always a lot of fun to show them around and see their expressions. Like I said, we had our 1st drinks at the Wig n Gavel and then we decided to get sandwiches and pizzas from the Promenade Café. Promenade Café Hours are – 24 hrs a day. You can get soda packages for under 17 and over 18 right on the promenade. You can sign up the kids for Adventure Ocean also on Deck 4 where you enter. Soda pkgs are $5.25per day for 17 and under. $7.50 for 18 and up plus 15% gratuity. Bottled water pkgs and wine and dine pkgs are available also.

Before I knew it, it was time to do Muster 4pm. Muster was held outside Deck 4 and we stood outside for 45 mins. Because people were not showing up. I’m not sure what the hold up was. Some were saying that they were just getting on the ship and being rushed to put their stuff in their cabins and go to Muster. It was a good thing that it was a pleasant day in Galveston for sailaway which did not occur until after 5pm. Closer to 5:30pm. Sailaway was held on Deck 11 and there was the usual dancing, drinking and fun!!

We left sailaway and all went back to our cabins to freshen up for our 1st dining experience. On the 1st night, DH treated everyone to Portofinos-Deck 11. Of course, since we are D+, we got to use both of our coupons (buy one get one only on 1st night), so it only cost us $20 x 5. I thought Portofinos was $25, but on the Mariner it is still only $20. Chops is $30pp. We had great service and our 13 yr old grandson went with us at 7:30pm. He has been going with us since he was 8 without any problems. There were other children in Portofinos that 1st night also. A very good dinner and the service was excellent. We missed the shows that night because we were at Portofinos.

After dinner we stopped in the Lotus Lounge for adult Karaoke-Deck 5. We did not stay that long because we were exhausted from the long drive and all the excitement. Retired early around 11:30a.m.

Thanks. I'm on the Mariner this Sunday. I've sailed the Voyager 5 times and will miss it but I'm looking forward to the Mariner.

If you go again from Galveston, you can save $25 per car by parking at EZ Cruise or something similar (like Lighthouse).

Day 2 – Sea Day – I actually love Sea Days. Sleep in and then went to the Windjammer for an made to order omelette – Windjammer breakfast hours are 6am-11:30am. Lots to choose from. Dining room breakfast hours are Rhapsody in Blue – Deck 3 8:00-10am. We never went to the dining room for breakfast all week. Both hubby and I are on the go and we don’t like sitting too long. So we go to the CL, promenade or windjammer for breakfast depending on what’s going on that day.

Went to morning Trivia in the Schooner Bar at 10am and then back to the cabin to get ready for a day in the sun on Pool Deck 11. Our kids were already out by the pool by the time we got there and had their seats available because of the suite privileges. We had plenty of sun this day and our pool bar waiter, Eduardo, was Da Man! He kept our beers cold all day and he made a great bloody mary. Eduardo took care of us every time he saw us around the ship at different venues. Of course, we tipped him well.

Dining – 1st Formal Night – Deck 5 – 8:30pm – tonight we all dressed up and went to our dining table #550. We met our waiter Dazly and asst. waiter Ereck. We had the best service from them all week long. We had 9 at our table because 2 of our friends joined us for dinner. I will say that on some night there were only 4 or 5 of us. Our grandson ate with other friends a lot of the times. It’s hard to keep a 13 yr. Old with us old folks! I know a lot has been said about the food experience, but I just want to say upfront….I’m not picky. As long as I’m getting served and the food is warm and the service is prompt, we just don’t complain about the food. Yes, when we started cruising back in 1997, I thought the food was better. But believe me….we can always find something that we like, so we’re happy campers!

We finished off the evening with Finish That Lyric Game Show (Lotus Lounge) and then stayed on for Karaoke. One of the cruise staff, Flavion, was hysterical during Karaoke. He really made it a lot of fun. I asked him how long he had been with the company and he said only 1 mo. RCCL has a keeper in him!

Oh, I forgot to mention that each evening before we went to the dining room, we would go in the Concierge Lounge for a drink or 2. Nadia (concierge) and her bar server, Andrea, we so gracious and kind to us each night. Andrea was the best bar server ever. A lot of nights, it was too packed or we wanted to run to a show and she would make us our drink and let us take it with us. Excellent service from the Concierge Lounge and they were compensated well.

Day 3 – another sea day – another pool day and nightly activities. – I do want to mention the pool towel policy here. I’ve read where people have had trouble with getting charged for the pool towels. We have never had this experience since RCCL has made their new policy of getting towels at the pool with the seapass card. On the 1st day that we hit the pool, hubby gets 4 towels. Each night before we leave the pool deck, we turn those 4 in and get 4 clean towels for the next day. That way if we go to shore, we don’t have to worry with running up and getting them. We have them and pack them for our shore excursions. At the end of the cruise, after leaving the pool deck on day 7, hubby takes his seapass card and returns the pool towels making sure they have cleared our record. It is really very simple. I do realize if you have kids, it can get a little tricky. Especially, if the kids are running up and getting their own towels. I can see where one might get charged. We don’t let our grandson check out towels (simple as that). He has to find us and use the towel and the towel stays with us.

Thanks. I'm on the Mariner this Sunday. I've sailed the Voyager 5 times and will miss it but I'm looking forward to the Mariner.

If you go again from Galveston, you can save $25 per car by parking at EZ Cruise or something similar (like Lighthouse).

I know this is available, but hubby is set in his ways and he does the same thing every time we go to Galveston. You know the old saying "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink":eek:...that's hubby:D

Day 4 – Roatan, Honduras

World’s second largest coral reef, divers paradise. Roatan has a history of Paya Indians, Spanish conquistadors, British pirates, rebel slaves and more recently European and North American expats. Beautiful blue waters and great snorkeling. Even though we’ve been to Roatan before, we were all eager to explore West Bay area again. We all (16 of us) piled into one van and went to Mayan Princess. We got off the ship and walked to the cab area and I said we need at least 2 vans to take us to Mayan Princess. He said “How many people”….I said, “16”…..he starts counting all of us and said, I can get all of you in one van….$15pp. Of course, we had 4 children with us, but 12 adults. We were packed in there, but off we went. When you get to Mayan Princess there is a $10pp entry fee which gets you a chair and umbrella on the beach. Plus they have a bar, restaurant, showers, clean restrooms and the most breathtaking pool area ever. It was beautiful there.(this was hubby and my 2nd time to go there). The beach is just beautiful, soft sand and the water is so blue. You can see fish just by walking out into the ocean. Our friends met us over there because she had a scuba diving trip planned. She got to do 2 dives and Catherine said it was the most beautiful dive she has ever experienced. She is a master diver. This was her 1st trip to Roatan , so she was very excited. Great day at Roatan. I would definitely recommend West Bay.

Day 5 – Belize – tendering (no docking)

Home to a lush tropical rain forest and the longest barrier reef in the Western Hemisphere.

We have been to Belize 4 times also, so I wanted to do something different. Before I left for the cruise I did research on what to do and I decided on Bannister Island because this was a ship excursion and the boat would pick us up at the ship and take us over to Bannister Island. It cost us $45pp to go to Bannister Island. We had to be on Deck 1 at 9:00 to take off. So it was a quick breakfast at Promenade and off. I was a little disappointed in this excursion……we were the 1st boat over so we got a good shady location to drop off all our stuff. There was 7 of us this time. The island is very small. I think it is man-made. I’m not positive of this. Lots of shade, chairs, a boutique shop, bars, restaurants, restrooms and changing stations and showers. The snorkeling was not good at all because there is only a small area roped off where you can swim and snorkel. There must have been 4 boats that came afterwards and it was packed. The water was so stirred up from all the people. There was no running water to wash hands or shower until about 1 hr before we left. A little crazy. The manager of the island did come on our tender boat and apologize for the inconvenience. (too late)…what are you going to do. You could kayak and they had floats (1st come 1st serve). As you walked around the other side of the island, the water was beautiful, but you could not enter the water from there. Lots of sea shells everywhere. We had a good day, but I was disappointed in the amt of people on this little island.

Oh, our friend Catherine went to Geoff’s Caye to scuba dive and she said it was not good at all because of the current and all the people. It cost her $165 to scuba in Belize and $40 to dive at Roatan.

Day 6 – Cozumel

Home of the Maya, the island has many faces – a diver’s dream, a shopper’s paradise, an archeologist’s playground.

I’ve been to Cozumel so many times, I’ve lost count. There were 8 ships in port that day including the mega ship Allure docked along side of us. Hubby and I said….”no way are we getting off the ship”. Our kids went to Chankanaab - $21pp entry fee and they had a blast. They all snorkeled , saw the seal show, manatee show and enjoyed the great hospitality of Cozumel. Very clean restrooms here, a beautiful pool area, showers, bars, and exotic gardens. We have been to Chankanaab (last yr) and experienced a great time. It was a good thing our kids came back a little early because going through Customs to get back on the ship was a nightmare. Cpt. Per was not happy at all because we could not take off until everyone was onboard. We were supposed to leave at 5pm, but it was after 5:30pm. The lines were ridiculously long and keep in mind, the Allure was docked next to us which had to go through the same line. (yikes)

I'll come back later and talk about the Captains Corner, Bridge Tour and Galley Tour and Debarkation.

continuing on the Mariner Thanksgiving cruise.

Captain's Corner - this was a very good question/answer session. Cpt. Per is very informative and very personable. We asked him why the ship took off so late at Cozumel. He said, "This will not happen again, I assure you!" He was upset that Cozumel only had 2 lines for both Allure and Mariner to go through Customs to get back on the ship. We're talking almost 10,000 people.:eek: He said he would be speaking to home office about this as well as the Cozumel Port of Authority. We were docked at the International Pier. Keep in mind I said earlier that there were 8 ships in port. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it or not. Cpt. Per's contract is 10 weeks on 10 weeks off. He just came onboard on the 11-20-11 sailing.

Bridge Tour - Saturday morning - we were invited to the Bridge Tour because we our D+, and our kids were invited because they were in a suite. My GS absolutely loved it. There were only 24 D+ cruisers on this sailing so they combined the suite and D+ guests. That being said, there were only about 20 people that showed up for this tour. Michael - 2nd in charge gave us the tour and was very thorough. Cpt. Per showed up at the last and answered any questions and talked with us. We got to take pictures and everything. When we were on the Oasis the Cpt. did not allow pictures to be taken (very weird). We've always been able to take pictures.

Galley Tour - Saturday afternoon - It was just my DD, GS and me taking this tour. The guys did not want to go. My GS was in awww of this tour. It is amazing how things are done in such an orderly fashion. It is very, very busy back there and yet we get our food in a timely manner and still warm. Wim was the executive chief who toured us. He is from New Zealand and he was so funny. It was a great tour. This tour lasted 1hr. The longest tour of the Galley we've ever been on.

I forgot to mention that we had a great Thanksgiving Dinner onboard. Turkey,stuffing, Ham, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, vegetables, and they even attempted pumpkin pie. Everything was so good except the pumpkin pie. I seriously do not know what they did to the pumpkin pie, but it had way too much cinnamon in it.(jmho) 2nd formal night was Friday night.

Entertainment - The only thing we attended was the ice show and it was excellent and the Beatle Mania show which was outstanding. We did f requent alot of Karaoke and the Dragon's Lair. Let's just say what happens in the Lair stays in the Lair. OMG!:eek: We had some good times there:D

The band that played in Ellington's, Lotus Lounge, pool deck was called the Mickey Utley band. This was a country/western band mostly. Ever know and then they would play a Jimmy Buffet song. I'm not a huge c/w fan, but they were pretty good and I enjoyed listening to them. Phil Anderson was in the Schooner Bar nightly and he drew a pretty good crowd. We stopped in a couple of times to sing along. Marty Daniels (I think was his last name) was in the Wig n Gavel. He did a pretty good job also, but it was so smoky I never wanted to stay.

Our group did the putt-putt, inline skating, ice skating, wall climb and the golf simulator. Our GS said the golf simulator was lame. It didn't work:D;) He is a pretty good golfer, so I guess I had to believe him. Our son-in-law said the lady had to keep coming in a reseting the machine. I think it was $25 for an hour. Up to 4 could play.

If anyone has any questions, I'll try and answer them. This was our 4th time on the Mariner, but 1st time since it has been here in Galveston. I think it will take some time to get it Texanized. Oh yeah, I forgot the best part. Dr. Peppers and Diet Dr. Peppers were sold at the Promenade Cafe:D

Captain Per certainly made my 23 nights on the Mariner more enjoyable earlier this year from Santos to Rome B2B via Athens. He is really good with Public Relations. I even got a bridge tour that lasted over an hour with the Diamond Plus members on board.

Thanks for what you had written so far. I'd like to try Mariner someday, I'd like to go back to Belieze as our snorkeling excursion was canceled when we went there in 2009, and I've never been to Rutan. For those who would fly in, I assume Hobby or IAH would be the closest places?

WHAT?!?! Totally missed the Diet Dr. Pepper. :mad: The cruise seemed pretty well Texanized to me: country music everywhere.

Beth - I brought my own onboard, but it was about the 3 day and I was in the promenade cafe getting pizza and I saw it there. Then I told some of our friends at the dining table and the bar server went and got one every night for our friend.

Thanks for what you had written so far. I'd like to try Mariner someday, I'd like to go back to Belieze as our snorkeling excursion was canceled when we went there in 2009, and I've never been to Rutan. For those who would fly in, I assume Hobby or IAH would be the closest places?

Bill - on our 2nd trip to Belize we went to Shark Ray Alley. I believe it was in Feb. 2007 (??), but it was a great trip. After the snorkeling it took us on to Ambergis Caye. We had lunch there and fun ride around the little island on a golf cart. No cars on the island, no paved roads:D

Yes, you would fly into IAH or Hobby. Hobby is only about 40 mins. from Galveston, but IAH is a little over an hour. You would need transfers or shuttle bus to get you to Galveston.

Captain Per certainly made my 23 nights on the Mariner more enjoyable earlier this year from Santos to Rome B2B via Athens. He is really good with Public Relations. I even got a bridge tour that lasted over an hour with the Diamond Plus members on board.

Cpt. Per and Cpt. Johnny are my 2 favorite captains. They are so friendly. 23 nights on the Mariner...how fun was that!:)

For those who would fly in, I assume Hobby or IAH would be the closest places?

Yes. Hobby was about a 45 minute drive. I hear IAH is about an hour and a half without traffic. Galveston also has no rental car agencies open on Sundays. Bit of a pain.

Linda, thanks for your very informative posting. Glad to hear you were allowed to take drinks out of CL. It is usually SOOO crowded. Were there many children there and did that have any impact on your experience? Also, where was the Diamond event, please? I may do that if the CL is too crowded. Sounds as if your embarkation was fairly quick and painless. Bummer about no champagne, but last year when we went on Voyager, there was no champagne. So I guess that is all over! Hope to see you and Aurther again sometime. Kay

Can you just go and tell them you want a day pass for $10? How does that work? Thanks in advance!

Yes, you will have to take a taxi over to Mayan Princess. It is usually $25pp for 4 and under. The taxi cabs will negotiate if you have around 8 people. And then when you get to Mayan Princess it will be $10pp to get into that resort to enjoy their facilities. Beautiful place. I do not have my pictures altogether yet, but when I do, I'll post some of them.

Linda, thanks for your very informative posting. Glad to hear you were allowed to take drinks out of CL. It is usually SOOO crowded. Were there many children there and did that have any impact on your experience? Also, where was the Diamond event, please? I may do that if the CL is too crowded. Sounds as if your embarkation was fairly quick and painless. Bummer about no champagne, but last year when we went on Voyager, there was no champagne. So I guess that is all over! Hope to see you and Aurther again sometime. Kay

Hi Kay - there were 900 kids onboard this cruise. There were only 3 kids that came into the CL and stayed with their parents and that was not every night. But lots of families would come in and get movies and stuff and then leave with their families. The Diamond Event was held in Cloud 9 up in the Viking Crown. There were not many people there. They only served wine, champagne and I think sodas there. Everything else was a 25% off. We did not go there, so I can't say that they would fix you a mixed drink for D+ for no fee. Don't know.

Thanks Linda. So your friend did not like Goff's Caye? We are scheduled to go there, but we can always change our mind. I already read about the problems at Bannister, your's was not an exception. We are going back to the Princess in Roatan as well. But now, what to do about Goff's???? Course we are snorkeling there, not diving so maybe it will be o.k. What did she say about the food and so forth there?

Thanks Linda. So your friend did not like Goff's Caye? We are scheduled to go there, but we can always change our mind. I already read about the problems at Bannister, your's was not an exception. We are going back to the Princess in Roatan as well. But now, what to do about Goff's???? Course we are snorkeling there, not diving so maybe it will be o.k. What did she say about the food and so forth there?

Becci - our friend went scuba diving and she said the current was so bad and the water was stirred up and it was hard to see any fish or coral. She said the coral was damaged badly. She also said that the lunch was like a light snack and not a lunch. She was by herself though. Her husband stayed on the ship that day and watched the Cowboy game which they showed on a big screen in the Lotus Lounge with snacks and hot dogs.

If I go to the Diamond event, wine or champagne is good enough! But I might take the opportunity to buy a specialty martini at 25% off! So happy to hear it was NOT in the Dragon's Lair, which is what Mariner was using when it was on the West coast. So dreary in there, unless it is functioning as the disco later at night!

Archived