Disappointed - RCIs Adventure Ocean vs DCLs Oceaneers Club/Lab

aunursa

My 10 year-old daughter enjoyed her third Royal Caribbean cruise, including several sessions in Adventure Ocean. Since we sailed on the Disney Wonder this summer, I was able to compare the two programs. The Disney Wonder had more than 600 kids onboard, while Mariner of the Seas had 850 for the Thanksgiving sailing. My daughter enjoyed the types and varieties of activities on both ships. But the logisitical aspects of RCI's program were inferior to those of DCL.

REGISTRATION

Disney Cruise Line allowed me to register her for the Oceaneers Club/Lab online months in advance. I was able to select which family members could sign her out, whether she could self sign-out, and even indicate her special needs. When we arrived at the pier, she received her armband and was good to go.

Royal Carribbean does not offer online registration for AO. Shortly after boarding the ship, I obtained and completed a registration form. That evening I had to stand in line with other parents for more than 20 minutes just to have the form reviewed and approved. Despite the fact that there were dozens in line, only a single AO counselor approved forms for each age group.

CHECK-IN and CHECK-OUT

DCL: My KTTW card was scanned each time my daughter entered and left the Oceaneers Lab. Even when there were several parents waiting in line, it only took a minute to check her in or out.

RCI: Each time my daughter entered Adventure Ocean, I was required to complete a line on the check-in form with her name, stateroom number, the time, and indicate (Y or N) whether she had a registration form on file, whether she could self-check-out, and which passengers had permission to check her out. Although none of this information changed, I was required to write it down each time. (At check-out, I merely had to initial and the form and list the time.) Consequently, it often took several minutes each time to check her in.

We had experienced the same procedures on previous Royal Caribbean cruises. However now that we have sailed Disney, I'm wondering why RCI's Adventure Ocean can't join the 21st century and automate the registration and check-in processes. Granted, part of the problem was that I chose a week with so many kids out of school. But RCI's advertising campaign is The Nation of Why Not. If Disney can streamline these processes, Why Not Royal Caribbean?

One other note. Several times when I left off or picked up my daughter in Adventure Ocean, I noticed that the different age groups were combined. I understand that this is sometimes necessary for Adventure Dining and the Late Night Party Zone. But for Thanksgiving week, expecting so many kids onboard, they should have had been prepared with separate activities during the day. At least half of the time (during the day, not late-night) I observed 60-70 kids from two or three age groups combined in a single activity. My daughter indicated that her experience, while still positive, was less so than her previous cruises because it was crazy with so many kids of different ages. Since one of the benefits that RCI promotes is the different AO venues for five age groups, they should make every effort to maintain those groups -- particularly during prime family sailings.

What do you think?

Hola! :D

Here is my opinion about the difference - and take it for what it's worth. ;) It's just MY opinion. Disney scared the beejesus out of me because it wasn't as secure - IN MY OPINION.

On Disney, any adult can walk up and ask to check out the kids club and be buzzed in.

On RCI, NO ADULTS are allowed in. Only the counselors who have background checks are allowed to be with the kids. Yes, I know the adults on Disney can't take the kids out of the clubs without again passing by those gates, but they can take them in the bathrooms. I was able to go into the bathroom to look for my daughter and I was never stopped or questioned. :eek:

I don't know what ages were combined and why. We have never had any of the younger ages combined on our RCI cruises and we always sail on off times - have never sailed during Thanksgiving. My kids are in 2 different age groups so I would know if they had ever been combined. I know they would have loved to have been combined on a couple of ships. ;)

Welcome back! :D

I wonder if this varies by RCI ship? Our first two cruises were on Freedom class ships, and we scanned our seapass to check the kids in & out, and had my mom's linked so she could get them too - the only time we had to specify was the original signup form and on Labadee when they were not on the ship with the computers. We'll be on Mariner next month but haven't yet; maybe they run it differently because it's an older ship? Hopefully updating this is one of the things they'll do when Mariner is in drydock this spring.

I wonder if this varies by RCI ship? Our first two cruises were on Freedom class ships, and we scanned our seapass to check the kids in & out, and had my mom's linked so she could get them too - the only time we had to specify was the original signup form and on Labadee when they were not on the ship with the computers. We'll be on Mariner next month but haven't yet; maybe they run it differently because it's an older ship? Hopefully updating this is one of the things they'll do when Mariner is in drydock this spring.

Yeah I didn't remember having to fill out the paper on our RCI cruises either. I thought our cards were scanned.

I've done both physical signing in and out and card scanning on RCI. I've never seen the kids clubs combined. On our one Disney cruise, yes, they checked everyone in and out very quickly. But all the counselors were at the desk, not with the kids. DS had a great time, but he prefers to be given an electronic item and left alone, which is what happened on the Magic.

I have noticed that the quality, and activities offered by AO varies from ship to ship.

Wow the combining of age groups is a new thing! In fact when we were on the Mariner they would NOT combine them. I know this because several times at late night pick up DD3 was the only one in the young group and I mentioned that I was fine with them taking her over to the next room (6-9) with her sister. The girl said that they were not allowed to do that. Anyway, dd4 was happy as a clam with all of that individual attention. I always picked her up by 11:30, the young group was always pretty empty that cruise? I think the only times they were together was the mid age groups for sports night on the upper deck, pirate night, and a carnival night where the older ones manned the games. If it was during those times I get why they combine them. If it is just in the club then I'm not sure why they would?

I'm glad to hear that some RCI ships scan the Seapass card. I hope that this process will be automated fleetwide.

Michele, I agree with you about DCL allowing parents into the Oceaneers area. That policy should be changed.

I like on the Wonder that kids could go from the Club to the Lab or vice versa. But that's different from combining all the kids in the program into one activity. RCI should make a good faith effort to provide different activities for different age groups as they have advertised.

Well, I HATE Disney Magic and their clubs.

My child, 5 years, was moved from one club to the other, and she don't speak any english, and she didn't understand why they were taking her away from there mum and dad followed her to.

They who worked there treated my daughter as garbish.

My daughter "speaks" sign-language and norwegian, and tried to get one of the girls to help here to open a computer. The girl took here away from the pc and told here to something else.

They didn't give her anything to eat and nothing to drink.

We have been travelling 50 something cruises, and is never going back to any Disney-ship again.

Epic is large, and it is to large!

If you get a cabin in the wrong end, you have to either take the stairs, find a new elevator, or walk the entire ship to the other end.

The pool-area is too small, and small childring can't stay there alone because it was all the time overcrowded.

Much better is Rccl, Celebrity, Costa, Princess or HAL.

Recently done Disney and NCL Epic. Kids Program is far superior on Disney.

Not sure when you last cruised it, but parents were not allowed into the club after the first day. Kids wore a GPS, watch looking thing on their wrist, to determine their wear abouts in the club. Required key cards and password to get the kids out. And if they needed you, they would call your onboard, ship-wide cordless phone.

Recently done Disney and NCL Epic. Kids Program is far superior on Disney.

Not sure when you last cruised it, but parents were not allowed into the club after the first day. Kids wore a GPS, watch looking thing on their wrist, to determine their wear abouts in the club. Required key cards and password to get the kids out. And if they needed you, they would call your onboard, ship-wide cordless phone.

We've done the Magic and the Wonder. And you're right, the last time was 2009. So are you saying that the parents are NOT allowed past the gate now? Our last time (Wonder), when someone wanted to tour the kids club, all they had to do was to ask. Adults were allowed in. When I got back from our cruise, I had a HUGE discussion thread both here and on the Disboards about the safety issues (I felt) this caused.

So they could have changed it since then. I hope, for the kids sakes, they have.

On RCI, they are so strict, that one grandmother tried to step in to help take a child's shoes off and the counselors stopped her from stepping inside. And when another parent tried to step in to pick up their sleeping child (who was sleeping just inside the gate on a mat) - the couselors stopped the parent, picked the child up and handed her over the gate.

We've done the Magic and the Wonder. And you're right, the last time was 2009. So are you saying that the parents are NOT allowed past the gate now? Our last time (Wonder), when someone wanted to tour the kids club, all they had to do was to ask. Adults were allowed in. When I got back from our cruise, I had a HUGE discussion thread both here and on the Disboards about the safety issues (I felt) this caused.

So they could have changed it since then. I hope, for the kids sakes, they have.

Alas, the policy is still the same. I was on the Wonder in August. Each day I was allowed inside the gate to search for my DD.

Alas, the policy is still the same. I was on the Wonder in August. Each day I was allowed inside the gate to search for my DD.

Well, then it hasn't changed. :(

On Wonder, I had to go look for my daughter and she was in the bathroom. Another child told me she was in there. So I went in and no one stopped me. I thought to myself :eek: If *I* am able to walk into the bathroom without being stopped, then who else can walk into the bathrooms?

I know it's a long shot. But I am all about minimizing risks to zero.

I really like the idea of online check-in for AO. On our previous cruises it was hit-or-miss that we would find the registration table for the kids to get the arm band and sign them up for AO. Otherwise, we would have to trek over to AO to sign in.

My experience has been that the counselors do not let you past the gate, period.

Well, then it hasn't changed. :(

On Wonder, I had to go look for my daughter and she was in the bathroom. Another child told me she was in there. So I went in and no one stopped me. I thought to myself :eek: If *I* am able to walk into the bathroom without being stopped, then who else can walk into the bathrooms?

I know it's a long shot. But I am all about minimizing risks to zero.

Perhaps it has only changed on the new ships. I was on the Dream in August.

Just got off NCL Epic, and while it was more chaotic, parents were not allowed back in there either (during regular hours).

Royal's adventure still has paper sign in and I thought it a little archaic and that was without knowing how it is done elsewhere.

Do the other cruise lines discussed also use the wristband muster id system? We had real issues trying to get our son to keep it on!

Do the other cruise lines discussed also use the wristband muster id system? We had real issues trying to get our son to keep it on!

On RCI, Carnival and I honestly can't remember Disney, the kids wear the muster bracelets the entire time they are on the ship. Actually, my youngest had a hard time in the beginning of cruising (she has sensory issues) but now she wears them so long she has them on for up to a month (or longer) after a cruise.

I have heard of some parents putting them on their child's ankles because the kids were so upset of them being on their wrist.

On the flip side, on NCL, they only had to wear them when they were IN the kids crew. So the bracelets went on when they went in the club door and came off when they came out.

Wow the combining of age groups is a new thing! In fact when we were on the Mariner they would NOT combine them. I know this because several times at late night pick up DD3 was the only one in the young group and I mentioned that I was fine with them taking her over to the next room (6-9) with her sister. The girl said that they were not allowed to do that. Anyway, dd4 was happy as a clam with all of that individual attention. I always picked her up by 11:30, the young group was always pretty empty that cruise? I think the only times they were together was the mid age groups for sports night on the upper deck, pirate night, and a carnival night where the older ones manned the games. If it was during those times I get why they combine them. If it is just in the club then I'm not sure why they would?

Does anyone know how strict RCI is on the age groups? We are traveling next month with our 3 children. Our sons are 15 and 14. The 14 YO will be 15 just a couple of months after our cruise, unfortunately. Will RCI allow him to go to the next age group where my other son will be at?

i was just on the Allure of the Seas at the end of September, and then the Disney Dream at the end of October. My 3 "older" kids, ages 3, 7, and 10 used the kids programming on both ships, and our "baby", age 2, used the nursery on both ships.

While I am a huge Disney fan, and loved the Dream, I will say that I think the kids programs are a little better on the Allure vs. the Dream.

We appreciated the age-group structure on the Allure. Each one of my kids was in a different group, and it allowed them to make their own friends. On the Dream, my 10 year old "got stuck" with the 3 year old tagging along with her (who really wasn't keen on kids clubs at all, but hey, we had dinner at Palo!).

On the Allure, there were somewhat structured activities going on in each group. For example, they'd go into the science lab, or out to the sports court, or play certain games, etc. My 10 year old DD is a self-proclaimed science-hater, so I was glad that she "had" to go into the science lab to play around...and she liked it too! She had fun doing something she never would have tried herself.

On the Dream, kids are free to do whatever they want. So if they want to sit with a video game the entire time, they can (this is what I feared for my son; as much as I want him to choose his own activities, he didn't come on the amazing ship just to play a video game, if you know what I mean). If they want to join the activities going on with the counselors, they can. Or they can do one of the gazillion things there are to do in the Oceaneer's Club/Lab. However, if the kids are young or small, or timid, it's really just overwhelming. Tons of kids running around, and not as much personalized attention...just supervision.

On the Dream, my 7 year old was allowed to have self-check-out privileges; not so on the Allure (to me, that's a plus for the Allure). On the Dream, because the kids area was so huge and free-flowing, no one ever knew where your kid was (or in just 3 days, no counselors really ever knew "who" your kid was either), so yes, you were allowed to wander around inside to find them for pick them up. And just as likely, I'm sure someone with not so great intentions could also gain access...

The bracelet gets scanned for check in/check out. On Disney, if you lost the bracelet, it's something like $50. On the Allure, the kids could sign in/out with their Seapass card, and on the first day or so, they gave the kids lanyards, punched holes in their sea pass cards to attach them on, and they were good to go. If you lost it, it was really no big deal. Signing in/out was just as easy - you just had to swipe the card and tell them your room number.

I'm not really sure why the Mariner was different; that does seem like a real pain to check your child in/out that way.

momma4anna, they seem to be pretty strict about the age groupings on RCI, only allowing your kid to move to the next group if they have a bday during the cruise. on one hand, it seems a little annoying, but on the other hand, it might be a good way for each of your kids to be independent and branch out doing their own thing vs sticking with a sibling. my kids, though younger, really liked being in separate groups from each other.

Does anyone know how strict RCI is on the age groups? We are traveling next month with our 3 children. Our sons are 15 and 14. The 14 YO will be 15 just a couple of months after our cruise, unfortunately. Will RCI allow him to go to the next age group where my other son will be at?

Based on comments on here, RCI seems to be very strict about their policy based on age - though, there could be various attributes that contribute to this: number of children in Kid's Club, which ship, staffing, etc.

I do believe that if the child "turns" an age that will change their group during the cruise, I believe they are allowed to start out in the older group.

First, please note: I nor anyone in my family have ever cruised Disney - thus, my comments are purely comments, not facts.

DISNEY: There was a comment made earlier (possibly by OP?) that Disney's Kid's Club was better than RCI? Well, my response to that is simple: Disney is a "kid oriented" line, while other brands are not. Just by paying for a Disney Cruise, I would expect to be "Small World-ed" to death. I would expect DCL to bend over backwards to ensure children are their #1 Priority. I believe they are one of the only cruise lines that cater to children still in pull-ups - they allow them in a special pool. That is outstanding. Again, it's the things like this that are incentives for some families to pay extra to go on a DCL cruise, not to mention the interaction with the characters and whatnot.

PRINCESS: All I can say about their Kid's Club is WOW, WOW, WOW! We cruised them this past January and my DD begged us not to cruise RCI this April just so she could go to their Kid's Club. I kept an "open mind" when we first took DD there. Since Princess is a "higher tiered" line, I expected very little from their Kid's Club. I COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG!! Their paging system was excellent, their personnel outstanding, and my daughter begged us to let her spend every waking moment there. I can not remember what the check-in/check-out was, but I know at very least we had to sign and I keep thinking that it was associated with our seapass card. I know that a few times we were charged for 5 mins here, or 10 mins there because of miscommunication between DH and other family members on who was to pick up DD. (Our fault, not the cruise line's.) The one "flaw" per se, and I completely understand that they need breaks, was that there were periods of time during sea days that they would close for an hour here and there. If I recall correctly, it was at weird times, too. But nonetheless, an OUTSTANDING Kid's Club! (They even wrapped a "Going Away" gift for our DS who was only 6-months at the time and only went with me twice to get DD - they gave him a plush Princess Teddy Bear that he still totes around on trips that we take.)

CELEBRITY: We cruised two years ago in the Med with X. There were only 5 children in DD's age group, but they had a great time. DD would pitch a fit when we came to get her, or if she couldn't go to Kid's Club because the cruise was so port intensive. X did a fantastic job at making a (then) 3 year old feel loved and cared for. The one downfall is that X does not have a paging system when the child is crying or wants to come back to the family (she only wanted to come back at desert time). Again, a "higher tiered" brand that did a great job.

RCI: I have lost track of the number of times that we have used AO on RCI. They are awesome!!! (I even uses the Fisher Price hour that was set aside for children too young for AO back before DD was old enough for AO.) RCI is a "family" tiered line that accomodates for large numbers of young PAX, all-the-while having a "camp" feel. No major complaints other than I wish they too had the radio system, but it would be difficult with the hundreds of children they have on board at any one time. I have also used the "In Room Sitter Service" on RCI and everyone of the ladies that I used treated DD like she was their own. I was very nervous at first with leaving my DD with a complete stranger, but after a few minutes, there was never a concern again. Well worth the extra money if you just need to break away!!

Just some thoughts. I would like to know how NCL does. We're looking NCL in the fall as DS will be 2 and you can go to Kid's Club with pull-ups at that age.

Thanks muchos!

Lady_G

On the Dream, my 7 year old was allowed to have self-check-out privileges; not so on the Allure (to me, that's a plus for the Allure).

When I registered my 10 year-old for the Disney Wonder's Oceaneers Lab, I was able to select whether she would have self check-out privileges.

When I registered my 10 year-old for the Disney Wonder's Oceaneers Lab, I was able to select whether she would have self check-out privileges.

on royal caribbean, celebrity, and disney, my 10 year old was also allowed to be self-checkout. but the 7 year old was allowed that same privilege only on Disney...not on the other lines. personally, i think 7 is a little too young for self-checkout, but then again, you have to know your kid and if they're responsible enough to handle it.

Just got off the Liberty of the Seas and they also were using the old-fashioned paper system for check-in at Adventure Ocean. Overall we were pleased with it, but agree that there is room for improvement. Like others, we went to the registration and did our paperwork ahead of time, but on the first night had to wait in a long line behind others who did not, and check-in took awhile. They also were kind of sloppy and confused about administering the phones (our DD is 3). You have to ask for it, and if you do the My Family Time Dining (again, you have to inquire and make sure to sign up) you have to make phone arrangements ahead of time if you want a phone. They definitely could have been more organized. However, staff was nice, and DD mostly enjoyed going. Agree that it felt like a safe environment.

We have only used Adventure Ocean twice.

First was in Jun 2011 - Legend of the Seas. (Singapore to Shanghai sailing)

My kids were 4 and 5 then, both were in the Aquanuats.

They hated it. They only went one morning, and after that complained no end. Note that my kids can speak English, so it wasn't a language issue.

As parents, we couldn't bear to send them again. Since their grands were also on board, we didn't.

Second was Dec 2011 - Brilliance of the Seas (Dubai sailing)

My kids were 5 and 6, this time both of them were put into Explorers.

Kids were very reluctant to go to Adventure Ocean, but they decided to give it a shot.

Perhaps it helped that there were very few kids on this sailing. AO staff told me 50. I noticed not more than 15 at AO.

This time round, my kids were much happier with the program. We left them there for a fair number of sessions, including one evening when they had the pirate event.

My kids told me that the activities organized for the Explorer group

were much more fun than the Aquanuats.

The signing-in and out were all done using paper for both ships.

Archived