forgotten item

johno95

on the way to the port, what item(s) have you turned back to get? (they don't have to be cool thing. could be sunglasses, whatever...:mad:

We were getting married on the 7th day of our cruise - some family on the cruise and others flying out to the island. My to be dear husband didn't know I had an old "hole-punched passport" and a new one. It was his job to pack the passports. At the airport, we were at security and the old passport didn't fly. Fortunately the friend that dropped us off had access to our home to get my new passport and was able to get it to us in time for our flight. This was the scariest item for us to mistakenly not have during all our travels. Guess who now makes sure the passports are the current ones?

One of our passports--but luckily we were just backing out of the driveway as I did yet another compulsive check of documents. What I thought was a passport was actually an address book of the same size, shape and color and unfortunately stored in the same drawer as the passports--not any more though!

If we hadn't discovered it until at the airport, which is a 2.5 hour drive away, we might have been in trouble. We'd have made the airplane but not the TA cruise unless our son could have overnighted it.

I didn't know until we arrived at the port (we drove there) that my hubby forgot to put my coat in the trunk. I had been busy having to unpack and redistribute into one fewer bags the items for my daughter (23 months old) and me after my hubby complained I had too many bags (and that included a diaper backpack. Rather than argue with him, I took my carry on, tote and backpack to the bathroom to please him. Then he was hastening us to the car as he wanted to get to the port asap (it was an hour's drive) and he put our suitcase and coats in the car.

Don't know why he didn't bother to check on my coat (maybe he thought I went to the coat closet and took mine out. I was wearing my sweather, thank goodness as it was a Baja cruise and it gets cold on those even if it was July.

I don't think he ever noticed that I never wore my coat. I probably would have snarled at him if he had said something.

From then on, everything I planned to take, including outer wear, goes in the foyer the night before.

I did go ballistic while we were packing for our Alaskan cruise just to make sure he didn't limit my luggage, and he actually took out another carryon that he had that was expandable and offered it to me to use. Sometimes drama does help.;)

We've never turned back to get anything, but the most annoying "left behind" item was my contact lens case. I have extras and thought I had left one in my carry on case, but no... The only item the ships store had that was anywhere close to being usable for the purpose was a pill case, I think it was around $10. Then, when we got to our first port I had to find a drug store and purchase a lens case, I think it was around $5. Annoying when you have multiple cases at home that cost $0.

The only thing I would turn back to get (if we were far enough away) would be passports.

Live and learn things that have happened to us:

Left the interior light on in the car (checking the floor for something) and came back to a dead battery. Didn't turn off the ice maker and the ice filled the freezer, forcing the ice to open the door...flooding the kitchen and defrosting all the contents. Fortunately our neighbor caught it and turned it off (it should turn off automatically, we had to have it fixed). Not leaving a spare garage door opener in the house. We gave the spare to our above mentioned neighbor (we watch their house, too) and he took it home with him. They weren't home the day we got back and we could not get our cars out of the garage, nor start our laundry. The only other entrance to our garage is a locked back door.

Some people think it's silly to have to do lists or packing lists, but this is exactly why everyone needs a check list. I tape the one for home onto the front door, since I've been doing that, no mishaps.

Even with all my lists and cross checking, I once forgot to pack my hubby's undies. I was able to find some close to his size in the gift shop onboard the ship, but, it was $36.00 for 4 pair. Needless to say, that is the first thing I double, double check everytime we travel ANYWHERE.

Archived