Explorer Thanksgiving cruise

EGG

Just back from the Explorer Thanksgiving cruise. I would like to share my cruise with you.

This was our 16th cruise and our 3rd on Explorer. It was still fun, relaxing & exciting. There were 2 new ports we had not been to and new things to do on islands we have already visited.

We live 40 minutes from the port, so we are driven to the port (the limo is less expensive than $19 a day parking) and we got to the port at 11:45. Once again there was a long line to drop off our luggage. I've been one of those people who is critical of the cruise line for how long it takes to drop off. In this case there had been no delay with the ship coming in and it still was a slow moving half hour line as we inched up to the terminal. It wasn't until debarkation where I realied that the ship does not dock until 8 and debarkation does not start until 8:30. Because of the fact that you have to take a shuttle bus to the terminal and it takes longer to load the passengers and their luggage on the shuttles, Explorer leaves an hour and a half for self debarkation. Regular debarkation does not even start until 10:00 and about 10 groups are scheduled to get off at 11:30. This answered my question about why we still saw taxis picking up people at 12:15 and why there is such a mess at the terminal before the scheduled time.

Once dropped off, the check in process went fairly quickly. I never pay attention to this because I am always so excited. It is only noticable when there is a very long line, which was not the situation at 12:15. The line to the shuttle bus was slowed by the inevitable boarding picture but in retrospect that just makes your wait for the shuttle bus shorter. We then got on line for the shuttle bus and we were on the ship probably another 15-30 minutes later.

Our ship card did not have a table number, so we went to the dining room to speak to the maitre'd. There was a wait with husbands and wives who were at separate tables and some children who were at different tables from their parents. Once we got to speak to the maitre'd it took only a minute to get a table number.

We went to the windjammer for a fast snack and then on to our cabin. Our luggage had not arrived so we headed out to familiarize ourselves with the ship.

We opened the door and we had a wonerful surprise..........

EMBARKATION DAY - CONTINUED

I walked out first and I was about 20 feet ahead of my husband. The couple in the next cabin walked out between us. All of a sudden we heard a scream "Is that Ellen and Bob?" It turned out that purely by chance my husband's best friend in high school and college (and fraternity brother) were in the cabin next too us. This was not planned. They live in another state and we have not seen them for 15 years. I wish I had bought a lottery ticket. What were the chances of them being on the same ship, in the cabin next to us, and us walking out of our cabins at the same time. How many time do you never see the people in the cabin next door? We noticed that for the rest of the cruise we never walked out of our cabin's at the same time and we never saw the people on the other side of us.

So back we went to wait on line to see the maitre'd to change our table to sit together. Again it was a long wait but we were accomidated with a few clicks of the mouse.

Muster drill was quick and easy in the Maharajah's lounge. We sat and spoke until the lounge cleared out and I felt the boat moving. We left 15 minutes early. By the time we got outside the ship was well under way.

Do not miss sail away. Leaving Bayonne and going under the Verazanno Bridge is always an awe inspiring experience. You wonder if the ship will clear the bridge. We've done many cruises but sailing out of Cape Liberty is always special, especially in the late fall or winter when the lights are on. The people from our roll call went to Dizzys but I would rather brave 15 minutes of cold for the spectacular views and pictures that you get on deck.

Since the ship returns at 8 o'clock and you are not rushed for disembarkation, I suggest you don't miss the return trip through the harbor. The ship get's closer to the Statue of Liberty than it does when the ship leaves.

We had early seating in the MDR on deck 5 with a young mother and her 5 year old and her parents from China who spoke some English. We enjoyed sharing what we would do in port the next day and/or what we did that day during the many dinners we had together. I am not a foodie, but I thought the food was excellent as was the service. There was always something that interested us. A few times we shared the vegetarian dish as an appetizer or with our dinner.

WEATHER - Everyone always asks about the weather on these late fall into winter cruises. Once again, we could not have ordered better weather. Everyone was out on deck on the second sea day. On the return trip we had two beautiful days before the final colder day which had rain on and off. There were no chair hogs - everyone was sitting outside, they did not want to miss a minute of sun. There was a hot sun with a lot of wind which made it very comfortable. We were always able to find lounge chairs, either on deck 12 or in the adult pool area. This pool on the Explorer is only partially covered, so you don't get the wind but lots of fresh air.

I won't bore you with our daily activities. We did the usual - read, relax, bridge, trivia, lectures, arts & crafts, movies, read, relax, read, relax. I enjoyed every minute of it and I did not think of work once.

There was a long line for tickets to the ice show. You are able to pick up tickets to both shows and only one person in your party has to get in line. I was able to pick up tickets for both my DH and myself and our friends. As you've read many times the ice show is spectacular. It never fails to amaze and entertain me.

LABADEE - Our first port was Labadee. I love private islands because of the simplicity of getting off the ship, finding a lounge chair and some shade, and the availability of food and drink. Labadee is particularly easy because you do not have to tender. We followed the advice on these boards and went to a beach on the right. The water was calm and there were no rocks. The Enchantment of the Seas out of Baltimore was also at Labadee that day so the beaches were crowded and I understand the lines for food were 45 minutes long. We just got some fruit and drinks for which you did not have to wait on line. I would not want to be in this port with the Oasis. It was 95 degrees the day we were in Labadee, so by early afternoon we figured we had enough sun and went back to the ship.

PUERTO RICO - We arrived in San Juan at 2 in the afternoon on Thanksgiving. The other ship in port was the Carnival Glory. We were on deck for the sail in. You pass the fort El Morro as you head to dock and it makes for some great pictures. The weather was 85 degrees. We had a map that we followed with all the important buildings, museums, churches, and forts. Unfortunately none of the museums or forts were open on Thanksgiving. Most of the stores were also closed. So we walked and walked for 2.5 hours. What a difference from the last time we were in San Juan with 5 ships in port. This was the only night there was no show.

St. MARTAAN - 85 degrees. We took a tour with our roll call friends with Bernard. We had a tour of the island with stops to see iguanas, 1.5 hours on Orient beach and another 45 minutes at the beach where the airplanes fly directly overhead and land across the road. Orient beach has white sand and no rocks or shells in the water. The driver dropped us off at Pedro's. The nude beach is to the right and the people with bathing suits on the left, although through the time we were there, many women who were topless walked along the beach in front of our chairs. There was only one other ship in port with us this day, I think it was Azamara Quest. I can imagine the beach gets very crowded with more ships in port.

Glad you enjoyed the Explorer of the Seas!!! She is an awesome ship with a fantastic crew. We love the ship and the crew seems like our family. Food has always been fairly good. What a terrific surprise to have old friends right next door to you.

Hope to see you on board again soon.

ANTIGUA - We've been to Antigua before so we skipped the island tour and chose to go to the beach. The closest beach was Dickersons so we went there. The sand and water were beautiful, the beach was long and narrow. If I go to Antiqua again I will try Jolly beach. As I remember it from my last cruise it was a deeper and more scenic beach.

ST. KITTS - We went on a tour with our roll call friends with Royston. We left the ship at 8:30 and we didn't return until after 3. We saw the usual fort and batik factory. In addition we explored an old sugar cane mill and every nook and crannie of the island as we made a circle on the island.

ENTERTAINMENT - We enjoy the evening entertainment and we were not disappointed. The shows for main seating were very crowded and we had to get to the theater 30 minutes early to get 4 seats together. We had another pleasant surprise when the Headline act was The Happenings (See you in Sept., Go Away Little Girl, I've got Rhythm). The show was terrific. I went to see the late show because I enjoyed it so much. I felt guilty that I might be taking someone else's seat and I was surprised to see that the theater was only 25% full. Too bad. People missed a great show. The show I did not like was the juggler and I wrote this on the comment card. This is the first show I've ever walked out on. Don't bother.

OTHER COMMENTS - On Thanksgiving there is a special menu with one of the dinner choices being the standard Turkey dinner.

2 days after Thanksgiving they put up the Christmas tree. We had a few days to enjoy the beautiful decorations on the ship.

Don't miss Quest. Lots of fun.

Well equipped fitness center with a large indoor whirlpool.

There were more children than usual, but because it was an 11 day cruise the number of school age children was not overwhelming like it was 2 years ago when the Thanksgiving cruise was 8 days Saturday to Sunday.

Hope you have some wonderful surprises on your cruise!!

Happy cruising.

Ellen

Archived