Diabetic cruisers, I need your help!

Hello,

We have cruised many times with disney and it was fantastic, but as with any cruise line there is always room for improvements.

We feel that there should be sugar free ice cream available at scoops and some type of sugar free cookie included on the afternoon cookie platter on deck 9.

This would be easy for disney to do, as they already have sugar free ice cream on board.

If you agree, we would like to ask for your help to get this changed, it would help a lot of people to have the same magical experience as everyone else.

Just go to the official diseny cruise line site, scroll to the bottom of the page and click onto contact us and write the suggestions we have mentioned. I assure you that Disney does listen to all suggestions from their guests. If we band together we can help everyone who can't have or chooses not to have sugar to have a better experience on board.

Thankyou for your help.

We do appreciate it.

Please let us know what you think and if you have any other ideas for improvements too.

mom x4,grandma x4

I have diabetes and I did have the ice cream once a day-my blood sugar stayed fine-as I was doing so much walking. I did stay away from the bread at dinner, did not eat the potato dishes and as I said- I did great. The only time my blood sugar elevated a little high(bad me let it get up to 230) was the last night when we ate at Palos and that was MY fault as I had the gourmet pizza appetizer AND the tirmasu. I would have been fine though if I had had one or the other.

What I do when I get ice cream- I get just one scoop and NO toppings. If I do that it is not that terrible for me.

One thing I can say too-many gripe about the extra charge for Ben and Jerry's and Hadzen Doz on other cruiselines-but these lines also have the soft serve for free. I can eat that within reason where as the richer stuff will run up my blood sugar sky high. So I say let them charge for that rich stuff-I only want the free stuff anyway.

I always too on cruises do TONS of walking. I may go up on the elevator if it is more then 2 decks but I ALWAYS take the stairs when going down. I have found by doing this I can eat more and my blood sugar stays good.

I was just going to add have you ever read the labels of "sugar free" ice cream in the grocery store? They are still loaded with carbs which your body turns to sugar. I guess you know this about carbs-how eating a baked potato will run your sugar just as high as eating a generous slice of choc. cake but if we are eating sensibly we would pick the potato over the cake because the potato also has nutrition.I myself stay away from potatoes for that reason and eat other nutrious foods that are not as apt to run my blood sugar up.

The only ice cream I have found that the carbs are not bad is the "low carb" Atkins type stuff-though Breyers and others also have low carb ice cream besides Atkins. Now this stuff is loaded with fat so I still watch what I eat but my philosphy is -if something is leaded with carbs instead of sugar-how is it better-at least for people like me-who have diabetes.

I know recently I ordered some "sugar free" cookies form QVC. The guy's sales pitch was "only one carb per cookie" which I thought was GREAT until I received them. The cookies were between the size of a nickel and a quarter and 20 of them were considered a serving-for that amount of carbs I could have a snickers bar and heck enjoy it a WHOLE lot more.

As Momofmeg says, a lot of times the "sugar free" items are more carbs than the non-sugar free. If I have my choice, I will go with the lower carb item since we now count our carbs not the sugar content of the items. Also, being on an insulin pump makes it much easier to stay well within BS range; can eat what we want and not have to worry.

I am not on insulin YET but my diabetes is worse. So I strictly diet. I pretty much do more South Beach then the typicial diabetic diet. I can't eat that many carbs-that is more like between 150 and 200 carbs a day-I keep mine around 100 carbs a day. By doing that I have not had to go on insulin and actually do not need my advandamet every day. As I monitor my blood sugar I know when I need to take it-sometimes if I have been super stressed my sugar will still go up so I take the advandamet. Usually too when I eat out a meal I take it too as it is so hard when out to get a meal that does not raise my blood sugar.

But on cruises I do so much walking I can eat a treat now and then-I guess that is what I really need-if I spent a couple hours every day walking the way I do on a cruise-I could keep my blood sugar great. I do walk at home for exercise but it is around 45 minutes a day-on cruises I walk so much more.

Another tip too-if you get a high reading on your monitor-take a 30 minute walk and test again. If your body cheminstry is like mine you will be amazed. I know I have had reading of 170 and took a walk and came back and retested and it would be down to 120. The advandamet will not lower it that fast. Walking is the best thing a diabetic can do.

We walk all the time on the ship. Exercise is great. We walk all over WDW every weekend too, so we are in great shape in the exercise department. My question to you know is, does anyone know what the carb count for disney's sugar free ice cream at dinner? I would love to compare it to their regular ice cream to see what the difference really is for that particualr product. I know this sounds like a lot just for a bowl of ice cream, but for my husband it's important to be able to sit out on deck with the grandkids and have a bowl of ice cream, but he was told by Dr. to avoid as much processed sugar as possible. He has never over indulged on a cruise, but he really loves that ice cream with the kids.

Thanks again for the help. We are new at this diabetic lifestyle, but we are learning fast.

mom x4,grandma x4:o

We walk all the time on the ship. Exercise is great. We walk all over WDW every weekend too, so we are in great shape in the exercise department. My question to you know is, does anyone know what the carb count for disney's sugar free ice cream at dinner? I would love to compare it to their regular ice cream to see what the difference really is for that particualr product. I know this sounds like a lot just for a bowl of ice cream, but for my husband it's important to be able to sit out on deck with the grandkids and have a bowl of ice cream, but he was told by Dr. to avoid as much processed sugar as possible. He has never over indulged on a cruise, but he really loves that ice cream with the kids.

Thanks again for the help. We are new at this diabetic lifestyle, but we are learning fast.

I am sure if you e-mailed Disney they could tell you.

I think they tell new diabetics to avoid processed sugar because that is our worst enemy-along with starches. It is like too the diabetic is addicted to the stuff that is worse for us.

I personally do a lot of spenda desserts. Adtkins Indulge cookies are great and so is Nabisco low carb-still though I can only have 2-so I still have to watch myself even with that stuff.

One of my fav. indulgances is the Wolfgang Puck low carb coffee drinks that are done with splenda- but I have to be careful with that too. One coffee drink has 9 carbs-which come from the milk that is in it - not processed sugar.

I have a friend though who can't use splenda desserts-with her body cheminstry-her body reacts to it just like she was eating a sugared dessert and her sugar goes up just as much.

I can only use malitol but a little or sorbital not at all as it leaves me super gasy.

Anyway your hubby will learn by trial and error what he can and cannot have. His best help in this is to test his blood sugar often and keep a log of what he eats etc. that way before long he will learn just what he can or cannot have because he will be able to tell how much something will run his blood sugar up.

He may be able to have a SMALL serving of ice cream and it not hurt him. testing his blood will show whether he can or not. (that and how much will power he has-he may decide it is better not to have it at all then to be tempted to eat more then he should-I know some things I just will not eat at all as I KNOW I won't be satisfied with a little bit.)

As I said I did great my last cruise with my blood sugar until that last night when we did Palos-then I ate too many things with carbs and sugar and it did get a little high-my fault-I guess because I had been doing so good I threw caution to the wind.

This was my typicial meal for the day. Breakfast omlet, one slice of bread, one glass of juice. Lunch salad with greens and meat, no bread. Afternoon I would have a small scoop of ice cream for a snack. Dinner I stayed away from the bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and corn. Sometimes I had the "diet" ice cream-once or twice I had a real sugared dessert. I did great until Palos, where I had bread, pizza, and tirmasu-no wonder my blood sugar went up.

I also allowed myself one alcoholic drink in the evening.(another thing that runs blood sugar up) Almost every night I treated my self to a cappacino at dinner with lots of creme but no sugar. Oh yes, he can have all the coffee(no sugar) and diet cokes he wants

Thanks for the tips. I make all his desserts from scratch from recipes i found in diabetic cookbooks and on line sites. I use maltitol. I try to use lots of fruits and take out most of the fat by replacing it with unsweetened applesauce or baby food prunes, which works great.

Well thanks again, I know we will learn a lot in the next couple of years.

mom x4,grandma x4

P.S. I still hope they put the sugar free ice cream at scoops for those who would choose it over the regular ice cream.

Thanks for the tips. I make all his desserts from scratch from recipes i found in diabetic cookbooks and on line sites. I use maltitol. I try to use lots of fruits and take out most of the fat by replacing it with unsweetened applesauce or baby food prunes, which works great.

Well thanks again, I know we will learn a lot in the next couple of years.

mom x4,grandma x4

P.S. I still hope they put the sugar free ice cream at scoops for those who would choose it over the regular ice cream.

You need to watch the fruits too. A piece of fruit will run his sugar up just as much as a candy bar. The differance is fruit does have nutrition a candy bar doesn't so go easy on the fruit. The two brands I mentioned Nabisco low carb cookies- 2 oreos (a serving) is 6 grams of carbs and 5 grams of fat. Adkins Induge cookies for 2 is 4 grams of carbs and about the same on fat.

What you may not realize is your desserts though low fat probally have around 20 grams of carbs in them. A serving of ice cream is about the same.

So he may be okay to have a serving of ice cream if he does okay with that. I have had diabetes for 13 years-so normally I can't waste that many carbs on a dessert or snack and I save most of my carbs for meals and nutrition.

What you two need to do is go and see a dietician who can help you-also like I said previously-be sure to test his bolod sugar OFTEN and keep a log of what he eats. Before long you and him will figure out what runs his blood sugar up and what doesn't.

I know that is how I got a handle on mine. Mine at first was not very bad and my health insurance would not cover for testings supplies ,they said my diabetes was not bad enough,which I feel was a big mistake on their part-as soon as I started testing myself I was able to get my blood sugar under control-within a month of testing I KNEW what I should and shoud not eat. If they had let me test sooner maybe I would not be on the medication that costs them $600 a month. (thank GOD it does not cost me that much)

I recomend if your insurance does not cover for the testing supplies-get your own-so you can monitor his blood sugar and see what he can and cannot eat. Once you learn what he can and cannot eat you will no longer need to test often. Unless he is feeling unusually bad or tired ofcourse.

While I am not diabetic I did have Gastric Bypass surgery several years ago.

Because of this surgery I can not have much sugar. Infact, just alittle bit will make me very very sick. I symptom that is called "dumping".

I have sailed on Celebrity twice and Cunard once since my surgery and they both have a very good selection of Sugar Free items.

My family and I are thinking of taking a Disney Cruise. While the sugar free items are not mandatory for me to have on the cruise line it sure is very nice.

I would hope that Disney would have a selection of items.

They have different sugar free desserts at the luch buffet and with every dinner. At the buffet there is a sign telling you to ask for sugar free desserts. There is an attendant that will get it for you . My dh had strawberry shortcake, blueberry cobbler (A favorite), fruit salad, cheesecake, can't remember the others. At dinner they had ice creams and chocolate brownies, and more when he didnt ask for it, so you will have a nice selection. Other than the ice cream most desserts you can ask to take back to your room and put in the frig and save for later if your too full after dinner. My dh got full very quickly so we often took dessert back to the roomfor a snack later.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed!!

Happy sailing.

mom x4,grandma x4:D

Thanks for the tips. We do have full medical so he has had all his testing supplies frim day one. we have learned to check after certain foods to see how they affect him, and so far so good. I believe that moderation (portion sizes) is very important.

I do watch the fruit portions. Dr. gave us a portion sheet on the first day and I bought a book that tells us what natural sugar that each type of fruit has. Grapes are really high. Luckily he does well with the right portions.

We wish you the best with your progress towards better health.

thanks again,

mom x4,grandma x4:o :rolleyes: :D

I have full medicial too but it is an HMO and the doctor has to authorize everything before they cover. For years he kept telling me my diabetes was not bad enough for me to do testing. I finially bought the testing supplies myself and found my sugar was 470 one night when I felt pretty bad.

It made me really mad at my DR but guess what NOW I have testing supplies that the insurance covers. It does make a differance when you can test yourself. It is so easy when not knowing to fool yourself (at least for me) that "this little bit" won't hurt.

I only brought up about "sugar free " desserts because of what I have learned with myself. I used to love to go to Cracker Barrel and order their "sugar free" apple pie and ice cream thinking I was doing "good." After I started testing myself I learned that that "sugar free" apple pie would run my sugar up.

That is why now I ask if they know the "net carb" amount-that is carbs minus fiber and sugar alochol. It does make a differance.

But like I said I have had this for 13 years now and diabetes tends to worsen the longers we have it, plus evey one's body cheminstry is a little differant so your husband may be able to eat more then I do. I am really at the point that I should go on insulin but I am fighting it-they keep saying within a couple of years we won't have to take insulin by shot anymore-that is what I am holding out for.

I did try to make some cheesecake from a low carb cook book but it was horrible. Maybe because I went for the low fat cream cheese instead of the regular. I sure hate it that everything that tastes good is bad for me. I used to could get some in Walmarts that was great and only had 5 net carbs (though loaded with fat) that I would occasionially buy and endulge in but they quit carrying it.

:p :p momofmeg

I sure hope you can hold out on the insulin too. I saw on the news the other day that people who take insulin have a new procedure that almost cures them. Didnt get all the details but had something about replacing some kind of cells that don't work in diabetics with good cells from cadabers. So far everyone who had the surgery does not have to have insulin and their body works like a normal persons. Maybe they will be able to mass produce it synthetically in the near future. That would certainly be a blessing for so many people.

If you know the brand of cheesecake you liked you may be able to search on line and find the manufacturer and they will tell you if they still make it and who in your area may have it. It couln't hurt to try.I feel bad for people who can't find something they can have when their diet is limited already. Our lives revolve around food, it's as much social as physical need for it. Every where you go people want to feed you and all the commercials on TV seem to be about food.It can be depressing at times, when you can't have it. I really know how bad it feels to be deprived of food, my husband is the diabetic, but I get NO food at all for the last 4 1/2 years. I get fed through a tube in my stomach, so I can feel the frustration that diabetics go through. I guess that is why I try so hard to get things changed for better eating every where I go. I even wrote to WDW about healthier foods in their parks and I got a personal phone call from them.I guess that is their main priority for their food department at this point in time. So maybe in a small way I helped someone.

Well it's been very interesting chatting with you about all these things. Guess we never know what life will hand us, just keep pushing forward. hope you have a GREAT weekend.

mom x4,grandma x4;) :D :D

I heard about that tranplant of cells thing but my DR says they are only doing that on brittle diabetics for now. As long as you are doing well on insulin,medication or diet-they don't want to do it.

As far as the social eating thing-it is hard-ESPECIALLY with everyone encouraging me "oh a little bit won't hurt" and I am like "that is not true and I KNOW that from experience."

I have lost a considerable amount of weight since I went stricter on my diet and women in particular are so catty about other women losing weight. That irritates me so much. I am NOT losing weight to "look good" but to stay off insulin. In fact because I am 50 years old-this weight loss is really aging me. I would PREFER to be bigger. Before I lost weight I had almost no lines in my face and looked 35-not true anymore and heck I look every bit of my 50 years and more. The other week I was actually given a "senior discount" at a local restuarant. I did not notice it until I read the receipt. Some may feel it was dishonest for me not to say anything but I was too embarrassed to say I was not 55 and did not qualify.

Actually the cheesecake was their store brand. They said they quit carrying it as there was not enough sales for it. I guess I could try walmart.com or perhaps Sams would have it-(problem with Sams though is I don't want to buy a truckload.)

It was very good and though it had a high fat content-the crust on it was crushed nuts-so that may have had alot to do with it. Nuts is the good kind of fat and won't hurt your cholestral. I eat a lot of nuts now.

:o :o momofmeg

I hear you loud and clear about the wrinkles caused by loosing weight. My husband lost about 45 lbs so far, but hasn't wrinkled! Darn it, because i have, from weight loss and critical illnesses. I too am 50, he is a year younger, so i really get the older woman teasing at times. I lost over 100 pounds in a 6 to 8 week time period, that really aged me bad, but now i've gained back about 20 pounds. It has taken me since 1987 to do this. I think menopause has helped to put it on, because most of the weight has been in the last 3 years. I welcome the weight because I do look better, but most of it is in my stomach, which I don't like. Guess we can't have everything. I'm just grateful to be alive to complain about it! 5 years Ago i would of bet on not being here. We take it one day at a time and try to enjoy every minute of life and we keep planning for tomarrow. Sometimes there seems to be a lot of potholes in the road of life, but I seem to miss the worst of them if i stay on top of stuff.

I've never asked you if your booked on an upcoming cruise? We have 3 more booked at the present. My dh surprized me this week with a 3 day trip on may 12, on the wonder. We are booked as a family get together for Dec 17, 15th of us going on that trip. Then we are booked on back to back 7 day cruises Nov 25 2006. Lots to look forward too. They are soo much fun.All of our cruises have been Disney. I got hooked on the first cruise. i know there are others that would be fun too, but just can't seem to make a committment to another cruise line. I really like the sail away party, others don't have this. At least the ones I've checked into. I also love all the characters on board. I love Donald Duck and Goofy. My house is filled with stuffed Disney animals, my china closet is filled with lots of disney knick knacks. My dining room table has characters set up in the chairs and on the table having a tropical party. I change the setting to match the holidays. Of course we can't eat in there, but we do have a small table in the kitchen area we can use. My dh thinks I'm nuts, but that's ok. Guess I'm a kid who won't grow up when it comes to Disney.

mom x4,grandma x4:p

We are booked on mariner of the Seas in Oct. We like doing all the lines. We cruise around once a year. We did love Disney and do hope to cruise them again-but especially after seeing Mariner last Sept. I have wanted to cruise her. We only have one daughter who is 20-unmarried. I am sure when we have grandkids we will want to take them on a Disney cruise too.

One thing I have found too is that none of the lines offer the soft serve sugar free ice cream on the lido or in the lido restuarant. I did feel Disney offered a nice choice of sugar free desserts.Most of the lines though offer at least one sugar free dessert each night and they always have the sugar free ice cream.

HAL is the only line I have been on so far that offered several choices of sugar free desserts in the dinning room and on the lido. I figured it was because they attract an older clientale and more older people have diabetes. I thought that was great of them but the cruise it self was a little too subdued for me.

I have lost around 10 pounds and it has been gradual. I did weigh 153 pounds and was in a tight size 12-now I wear size 10. My stomach has gone WAY down though-I did measure 31 inches around the middle in the morning- 34 at night now I measure 28 inches morning-30 at night. My hips though are only 1 inch smaller. As I said it was not so much about losing weight but going on a diet to control my blood sugar.

I think that is what has done it. The diet. I do eat a good bit of fat with it but it is nuts, avacodos, peanut butter. I eat very little bread or rice, what I do eat is brown rice and whole wheat bread and no processed sugar. The only time in the last year I have had sugar was I did fudge on the cruise but as I said I did tons of walking so my blood sugar stayed good for the most part; until that one night I went "overboard" with my food choices and threw caution to the wind.

One thing though I did notice was my tummy came back on that cruise but went away within a couple of weeks of doing the South Beach. So there REALLY is something to that diet-you don't only lose weight but it comes off around the MIDDLE where we need it to come off.

That is one thing-I was not that overweight before size wise- but I often had people think I was pregnant because of my middle. I do LIKE that-just wish my face was not so thin.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello - I just booked a DCL 3 day for 5/4/06 with the family and came to this Disney board to start finding out about it.

Then I see your thread and started reading - I have been on Glucophage for the last month and had the dosage increased yesterday - so I realize that I don't know what I'm doing.

I have learned more from this thread than all the websites I've been to this month:o .

Thank you for having this detailed discussion !! I called the DR for an appointment to figure out all this but you have helped more ! Anyway, I'm going to see him and tell him he is no help at all !(nicely, of course).

Thanks, again, MaryAnn, and keep up the conversation - you don't realize how much you are helping :D

I'm glad to know that someone has benfitted from this thread. A lot is trial and error as all our bodies react differently.

My hubby is on the same meds as you. But now he is achy all the time and one of the side effects to watch out for is achyness (spelled wrong) so now we need to contact the Dr. again to see about that. I really believe that all diabetics need to see a specialist instead of their GP. They start you in the right direction, but to really have someone to help you every step of the way, you need a specialist. They work with dieticians too, which in return helps you, the patient. We are now researching one in our area. I wish you all the best. It can be very over whelming at first, but educate yourself and you'll do great. the more you know, the easier it will be to understand what your going through.

Let me know if you have any questions that I may be able to help you with. We are still learning too, but would love to help. I can tell you that Disney cruise line has a great menu for diabetics to choose from if you cruise with them. Be sure and get a medical form from DCL and have the Dr. fill it out and send to DCL and get a medical ID bracelet ot necklace. That is a must!

mom x4,grandma x4:D

Thanks again for all your help-the specialist idea is good.

I was supposed to see the Dr today for any info. books etc but just came back from emergency room w/DH (vertigo, vomiting, etc) so I'm not leaving him today. I'll reschedule my appt. asap

hope your DH is better. MaryAnn (keep up the good advise - both of you):D

On Disney last year and am a diabetic. Had no trouble. Had everything I needed. No I am not on insulin but they made things very easy for me. I had all the things I wanted. All I had to do wa ask. Good luck. Just remember to ask for what you want. By the way I was on the Wonder.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Maryanne,

Just in case your interested I have written DCL about their lack of choices with sugar free desserts. They have NONE at the BBQ on castaway cay, but they do have regular cake, cookies and ice cream for everyone else to eat. no sugar free ice cream at scoops and only one choice for the lunch buffet, where as everyone else has 12 to 15 choices. This seemed very unfair to us. You can bet if everyone else only had 1 choice for a dessert at lunch there would be a riot!! I figure we pay the same price for the cruise so we should have some selection too. They already have a lot of items on board, because they have them at dinner. I have run across several people who feel the same as us and they have written DCL too. Hopefully we will get some good possitive changes for the sugar free desserts onboard.

I did receive a possitive letter from DCL saying they were taking my suggestions under consideration. I was surprized at that. But at least they did read my letter,so that was good.

Hope all is going well for you.

My DH is doing quite well.

Kathy

momx4,grandma x4

Hello - I just booked a DCL 3 day for 5/4/06 with the family and came to this Disney board to start finding out about it.

Then I see your thread and started reading - I have been on Glucophage for the last month and had the dosage increased yesterday - so I realize that I don't know what I'm doing.

I have learned more from this thread than all the websites I've been to this month:o .

Thank you for having this detailed discussion !! I called the DR for an appointment to figure out all this but you have helped more ! Anyway, I'm going to see him and tell him he is no help at all !(nicely, of course).

Thanks, again, MaryAnn, and keep up the conversation - you don't realize how much you are helping :D

The key is checking your blood sugar OFTEN and keeping a log of what you eat. Soon you will know how this and that affects you. Also another thing that really helps lower your blood sugar is WALKING and it does not take much. Try taking a 15 minute walk twice a day.

I have found that helps my blood sugar more then taking a 45 minute walk once a day. So it is not the amount of time you walk but how often you walk. I have a friend that does this 10 minutes 3 times a day. She is on insulin but she says doing this she has lessened her dosage by half.

Since you are only on glucpage you do not have to worry yet about your medication lowering your blood suger too much and the possibility of having insulin shock. Start these good habits NOW and maybe you won't need any stronger meds for a long long time and that will never be a worry.

And don't let your Dr. BS you that your diabetes is not bad enough for you to need to test your blood sugar. If you have an HMO INSIST he authorize your testing supplies. I know with me I now know how everything affects me and this is what keeps me from fooling myself that this "couple of cookies won't hurt me."

As I said I have had this for 13 years now and maybe if I had had the testing supplies years ago I would still be on glupage. You do this for yourself and you will never have to worry about kidney damage, heart damage or eye damage or losing a limb.

Archived