Diabetic cruisers, I need your help!

Hi Maryanne,

Just wanted to say I agree with momofmeg, you need to test everyday. Different foods will affect you differently. Just wanted to add. If you havn't done it already, get a Medical Alert bracelet!!! If your ever in a crisis where you can't speak for youself, it could save your life!!!! It will even list your medications and Dr, phone #. You can use a search engine and look for medical identification tags and there are several places you can order from and different types of tags.

Hope your cruise was great.

Kathy

mom x4, grandma x4

Just thought I would let you gals know- I have been able to get off the advandamet. As I said, I have been doing the South Beach diet.

A year ago my blood sugar was hitting 470 at night. I was put on 4 pills a day of advandamet. Doing this diet, I have been gradually able to lesson the dosage until now I am completely off it and my blood sugar rarely goes above 150. Usually when it does either I have gotten stressed about something or else I ate something I shouldn't. If I keep myself calm and stick to my diet I am getting readings of between 85 and 125 the majority of the time. I am so happy about that.

I guess though it will be tougher for me on my cruise in October but I have noticed the last couple of cruises better choices are being offered-so as long as I stick to what is good for me I should be okay.

I still need to work on a little bit that thinking the food makes me enjoy life. I know deep down it doesn't really but as the other "Mom" said so many social things revolve around food sometimes it is hard.

momofmeg,

I'm so glad to hear the the south beach diet has helped you improve enough to get off the pills. That is fantastic!!!

I know another diabetic that is currently trying the south beach diet. So far she has had some improvements.

I received a long letter from DCL about a month ago and they said they are starting to have more healthy food choices on board. I guess a lot of people besides me have written about the lack of choices they have on board. especially at the BBQ on Castaway Cay.

It just goes to show that if enough people band together and make suggestions we can get things done to better the food selections for everyone who needs or chooses to eat healthier.

My DH is still doing very good. His blood sugar has stayed down for several months now, even on the cruise. He does a lot of walking at work and we walk all over the ship after every meal. Well I've got to sign off for now, again it's great to hear you've had some possitive improvements.

mom x4,grandma x4:D

momofmeg,

I'm so glad to hear the the south beach diet has helped you improve enough to get off the pills. That is fantastic!!!

I know another diabetic that is currently trying the south beach diet. So far she has had some improvements.

I received a long letter from DCL about a month ago and they said they are starting to have more healthy food choices on board. I guess a lot of people besides me have written about the lack of choices they have on board. especially at the BBQ on Castaway Cay.

It just goes to show that if enough people band together and make suggestions we can get things done to better the food selections for everyone who needs or chooses to eat healthier.

My DH is still doing very good. His blood sugar has stayed down for several months now, even on the cruise. He does a lot of walking at work and we walk all over the ship after every meal. Well I've got to sign off for now, again it's great to hear you've had some possitive improvements.

mom x4,grandma x4:D

Well tell your friend it was NOT instant. It was a year ago the DR. was wanting me to go on insulin because of my high readings-that 3 month test they do-mine registered over 10. They want it below 7.

I was gradually able to lesson my dose of advanamet. And last year at first-I was taken the max. amount considered safe of that and still my sugar would hit over 200 in the evening. Going on this diet improved my blood sugar over time and basially it is a life commitment-not something I do to lose a few pounds. In fact I have not lost any weight since November-but my blood sugar has continued to improve.

;)

Howdy Momofmeg,

i will tell her how long it took. I think she will be encouraged to know that she is not alone and not failing just because it takes some time.

I think as long as your blood sugar is good I wouldn't worry to much about weight loss. If it comes, it will be a bonus for you.

Next month my DH will be a year sinced being diagnosed. He lost a lot of weight at first, but the last few months has stabilized at a certain weight and nothing more is coming off even thought the diet and exercise hasn't changed. He is well adjusted to changing his life style to be a healthy one. I'm very proud of him, he's doing very well.

I hope you continue to keep your under control.

Disney, both the cruise line and at their parks are really improving their healthy choices over the last couple of years. People have been asking for healthier choices and they are listening. I have written to both places and so have many others. My son and his wife work at WDW. They just had a meeting about the new healthier foods the parks are going to be getting over the next few months and in a couple of weeks they are having another meeting with the executive of the entire food department of WDW and it will be all about healthier choices for people at their parks. So they are listening to us, we just have to keep asking and when they do something right, we need to let them know we appreciate what they have done.

I did get a letter about this subject from DCL too. That's how I know they are improving foods all the time. I hope by our next cruise in December we will see some improvements in healthier foods. I'll let you know.

Kathy

mom x4,grandma x4:rolleyes:

Yes I am fine with my weight. It was never about the weight but controlling my blood sugar. I am trying to keep away from taking insulin as long as possible and the problem with the diabetic medications is that they tear my stomach up. It seems to me they work by keeping you from fully digesting your food and to me that is not good-your body can become depleted of certain vitamins and minnerals. Plus sometimes that made it hard for me to go out in public-(need I SAY more? I am sure you get my drift)

So I am doing it this way. Yes I hate the strict diet but if it can keep me off insulin for a few more years I will be content with that.

Archived