Comparing White Bay to Smugglers Cove

Worn out mailman

Hi folks.

To anyone who has been to Tortola a few times...

I'm a planning nut, and though my cruise isn't until March, I'm spending a lot of time pondering which beach to visit on our day in Tortola.

So, for me it seems to be down to White Bay on Jost or Smugglers Cove. Now, I'm leaning toward White Bay, so say I took a cab down to the ferry and then the ferry to Jost, how long would it take to get to White Bay total? The Princess excursion only gives you two hours on the beach, which is a joke for a couple who lives an hour from the Jersey shore. A worthwhile beach day for us is at least 3 hours, or a little more. CB leaves Tortola that day at 6pm. Also, regarding White Bay, from photos and vids I've seen on line, there are many small boats right on the beach. Is there a place on the beach that isn't rocky where there won't be boats to obscure our view of the scenery or inhibit our swimming?

Okay, choice two, Smugglers Cove. This also looks very nice, and closer to the cruise ship. From the photos and vids I've seen though, it looks like a very rocky beach (good for snorkeling, but not necessarily ideal for wading). Is there a decent size segment of beach that the walk into the water is smooth, not rocky? I've read, also, that sometimes the cabbies are reluctant to take you there. How involved a trip is it to Smugglers Cove?

Thanks for any help. :)

• 1 month later...

same dilemma...jvd or smuggler's cove? we live in Florida so we are all about beaches and enjoying the water...daughter wants to play in the water, I want to lay on the beach and husband wants a bar nearby...snorkeling is not a necessity, but an optional plus! I'd say the most important thing is a beach with calm clear water that you can walk out to enjoy (without rocky bottoms and drop-offs) nearby local food and drink (nothing fancy). since we are only in port from 7-3:30 time must be very well spent. we want to maximize beach time and minimize travel time.....please someone help us out!

I've attached a couple links to previous threads on this subject as it has been discussed at length (these threads are actually on the first page of this forum and are not that old). There are many other threads talking about the time it takes to taxi to West End and ferry to Jost and I posted the ferry and taxi rates in these threads. I would look at bvi360.com if going to Jost. We stay on Tortola and I need to say that we are partial to Smuggler's for a beach and to White Bay and Great Harbor and Cane Garden Bay for bars and music.

White Bay is a nice white beach with several beach bars and it's a popular spot for boats to stop at throughout the day. That means it will likely be crowded. But if you want to have a Painkiller at the Soggy $ Bar or Seddy's One Love that's the place. Foxy's over the hill is also a neat spot. Getting to JVD takes time of course.

Smuggler's is a much more beautiful and natural beach (at least IMHO) and is a very nice swimming beach (not rocky). There is also very good snorkeling. You'll read about Patricia in the links below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1524407

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1505300

Enjoy your day on our favorite island!

same dilemma...jvd or smuggler's cove? we live in Florida so we are all about beaches and enjoying the water...daughter wants to play in the water, I want to lay on the beach and husband wants a bar nearby...snorkeling is not a necessity, but an optional plus! I'd say the most important thing is a beach with calm clear water that you can walk out to enjoy (without rocky bottoms and drop-offs) nearby local food and drink (nothing fancy). since we are only in port from 7-3:30 time must be very well spent. we want to maximize beach time and minimize travel time.....please someone help us out!

You want Smuggler's Cove or Brewers Bay, I'm partial to Smuggler's for the calm water and laid back vibe and Particia has cold beer, a small bar, and excellent grilled food. But there is also food at Brewer's so you could go there, both are pretty.

Roundtrip taxi rates per person are

Brewers Bay: $24pp for 2, $16pp for 3 or more

Smuggler's: $32pp for 2, $24pp for 3 or more.

I've attached a couple links to previous threads on this subject as it has been discussed at length (these threads are actually on the first page of this forum and are not that old). There are many other threads talking about the time it takes to taxi to West End and ferry to Jost and I posted the ferry and taxi rates in these threads. I would look at bvi360.com if going to Jost. We stay on Tortola and I need to say that we are partial to Smuggler's for a beach and to White Bay and Great Harbor and Cane Garden Bay for bars and music.

White Bay is a nice white beach with several beach bars and it's a popular spot for boats to stop at throughout the day. That means it will likely be crowded. But if you want to have a Painkiller at the Soggy $ Bar or Seddy's One Love that's the place. Foxy's over the hill is also a neat spot. Getting to JVD takes time of course.

Smuggler's is a much more beautiful and natural beach (at least IMHO) and is a very nice swimming beach (not rocky). There is also very good snorkeling. You'll read about Patricia in the links below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1524407

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1505300

Enjoy your day on our favorite island!

Wow, I popped back on to the Tortola forum, I was surprised to see my thread reawakened. Thanks for the response Blue. I remember reading what you wrote before, I was hoping you'd chime in. Watching a segment of a DVD someone created of Smugglers Cove on the internet, it does look very calm and pretty. It flashes from one camera view where it looks ideal for us, to another vantage point where you can see some shallow reefs. So, you say that the sand is somewhat soft into the water...I'm more concerned for my girlfriend as she loves the powdered sugar type sand that you find at some places. Thanks for your attention. :)

Archived