2br family suite ?'s

jkneern

We are taking our first NCL cruise on March and have booked 2joining cabins. Just wondering if anyone has booked the 2br family suite. It will be DH, myself, DD, her DH and our 2 yr DGS. Was it big enough and how is the 2nd BR set up. Should we change or keep what we have, we got the last joining rooms. Any input is appreciated thanks! Oh and the price isn't too much more...aprox 175pp

We sailed in a 2-bedroom suite on the Dawn with our (then 14 yo) son, and the layout is identical. You will have ample room, for sure! The second bedroom is just inside the entrance, and has it's own (very small) bathroom, one lower bed, a television, and an upper bunk which folds down from the wall. Your grandson will LOVE his own little space! The Master Bedroom and bathroom are separated from the rest of the suite with lovely pocket doors, and then the bedroom has a heavy curtain which can close it off from the humongous bathroom.

Are the adjoining rooms both suites or is the second one a balcony cabin? If the second is a balcony cabin, you'll probably be spending your time in the living area of the suite, which is very nicely appointed, and quite spacious too.

Go to the NCL website and click on your ship, then click on the "Staterooms" tab, then scroll down to your category. It will show a photo of the living area, and will also have a floorplan for you to view as well.

Enjoy! You're going to LOVE that suite! :D

I am thinking the first response was to the wrong question.

If I read it right, the OP has 2 side by side rooms, but thinking about a 2 BR suite??

sorry, now that I read it again, I really do not know what they booked.

The 2 BR suite has the 2nd little bedroom. A couple and their little one could bunk in their, tight, but possible. Personally, I would do that over 2 adjoinging regular cabins.

Help us help you.

I am thinking the first response was to the wrong question.

If I read it right, the OP has 2 side by side rooms, but thinking about a 2 BR suite??

sorry, now that I read it again, I really do not know what they booked.

The 2 BR suite has the 2nd little bedroom. A couple and their little one could bunk in their, tight, but possible. Personally, I would do that over 2 adjoinging regular cabins.

Help us help you.

Wow, now that I've read it again I see what you mean. Now I'm confused, too.

To the OP, if you're considering booking the 2-bedroom suite for all five of you, it WILL be tight!

Please, chime in, so we understand what your scenario is. Then we can be of much more help.

;)

Having sailed in a 2 bed just last week, I would do it if you aren't already in suites. Though not ideal, my husband, myself and my daughter could have slept in the 2nd bedroom and been okay. I would do it if it meant the difference between having suite amenities or not. I slept in the 2nd bed one night I wasn't feeling well and my dh could have fit okay. Cozy :)

Thanks for the input. Yes the cabins we have booked are regular size joining cabins not suites. As for the perks, can someone tell me exactly what they consist of. This is our first with NCL, we usually sail Carnival but ready for something new, we will miss our platinum perks so just wondering what is offered should we choose to change to this suite. I think I'm just concerned that the 2nd BR will be to small. The rest of the cabin looks great from what I can see. Again thanks for everyone's help as it is always great to hear from others who have sailed in this type cabin and this cruise line.

Yes, the 2nd BR is small. The bathroom is very close to what regular cabins have. Storage is very tight.

On the other hand, there is a table that seats 4, and a couch and chair to watch TV. The Master BR has a bath that is awesome.

Being in a full suite, you do get VIP treatment, with biggest perk being able to eat breakfast and lunch at cagneys.

P.S. Thanks so much for coming back to clarify. So often, we fall all over ourselves answering a question that we do not even understand. LOL!

Thanks for the input. Yes the cabins we have booked are regular size joining cabins not suites. As for the perks, can someone tell me exactly what they consist of. This is our first with NCL, we usually sail Carnival but ready for something new, we will miss our platinum perks so just wondering what is offered should we choose to change to this suite. I think I'm just concerned that the 2nd BR will be to small. The rest of the cabin looks great from what I can see. Again thanks for everyone's help as it is always great to hear from others who have sailed in this type cabin and this cruise line.

The 2 bedroom suite is great for larger groups. Even though the second bedroom is smaller, it is fine for 3 little ones, one one adult and 2 little guys. We sailed in one last Janaury and will do it again next week.

As far as suite perks, you will get to eat at Cagneys every morning for breakfast and lunch, have priority embarkation and deparkation. Priority tender tickets, a buttler is also great. Basically, it is like having platnum status without all the cruises.

I am counting six passengers. What are you currently booked in? Two insides, oceanviews, balconies, or mini-suites? I have only visited the 2 bedroom family suites and am not sure about having six people in them. Perhaps those who have sailed with that many will reply. Usually, a family of four find them perfect. A family with 5 find it doable. Not sure about six all week long. In the past, some have said two connecting minisuites are optimum in this type of situation...unless...you want the suite perks and they are important for the vacation experience.

coka

I would stay with the arrangement you have. Ajoining cabins will give your two families more room and priviacy than the 2br suite. Depending on which ship you are on some of the forward owners suites have a connecting balcony room. That would be the way to go if you want the advantages of both a suite and ajoining cabins.

The 2 bedroom suite is great for larger groups. Even though the second bedroom is smaller, it is fine for 3 little ones, one one adult and 2 little guys. We sailed in one last Janaury and will do it again next week.

As far as suite perks, you will get to eat at Cagneys every morning for breakfast and lunch, have priority embarkation and deparkation. Priority tender tickets, a buttler is also great. Basically, it is like having platnum status without all the cruises.

Suite perks are not the same as platinum status perks. Platinums do not get Cagneys for breakfast and lunch...and the priority embarkation/debarkation is better for suite passengers than platinum passengers. Platinums do not have a butler.

coka

I agree that the suite perks are worth it, as long as you know what to expect in "closeness". Basically, the suite has a queen bed in the master bedroom and a huge, luxurious master bathroom; a living room with sofa/sleeper, chair, table for four, and bar area; a smallish balcony; and a small second bedroom with small bathroom (shower, toilet, sink). The sleeping accommodations are as follows: two in the master bedroom, up to three in the second bedroom, with about a full size bed and overhead bunk (when the lower bed is open it's basically wall to wall bed), and a single sleeper sofa in the living room. Most of the storage is in the master bedroom/bath area. If you can live with the tight size of the second bedroom, the living room works great as overflow living space. Quite honestly, I don't think that I could handle the lack of privacy and space for more than three or maybe four people in this suite - but it might work for you!

Then platform I am posting from doesn't support the posting of links, so hopefully someone can post a link to the suites and villas website where you can review the perks. You can find it under your ship on the NCL website as well. Suites perks on NCL are pretty amazing, and addicting as well!

Robin

Okay, four adults and a 2 year old...the question to answer now is whether the suite benefits are worth the extra cost per person. My understanding is the balcony dividers can be opened. Are you in a balcony...or a mini-suite?

coka

There will be 4 adults and a 2 yr old. We have 2 joining regular size cabins now. Oh...another question, do the balcony dividers open?

I understand NCL will not open balcony dividers due to a fire hazard.

Also, the closet in the 2nd bedroom is tiny. Like 5 hangers and 3 drawers tiny. (At least it was on the Star.)

I understand NCL will not open balcony dividers due to a fire hazard.

Also, the closet in the 2nd bedroom is tiny. Like 5 hangers and 3 drawers tiny. (At least it was on the Star.)

I didn't find the 2nd bedroom closet to be too bad. You can always ask for more hangers and there was extra space to stack clothes, etc. it's a tough choice for sure. With a 2 year old I assume he will go to bed earlier then you? In the 2 bed you could put him in the 2nd bedroom and the adults will have more space to relax in the living/dining area. In a regular cabin you won't have this separate space. Also, the perks are awesome! To start my day in Cagneys makes such a difference. Your butler can also get you things you might otherwise have a hard time finding. We couldn't find fresh strawberries and he got my dd a bunch :)

I think you need to weigh a couple of factors - whether a suite benefits is worth it being that tight. The 3 additional people in that small bedroom is going to be very very tight. Yeah, you could use the family room small couch as a possibility but two adults in the bedroom is tight.

Also, you lose some privacy. You might prefer to have your family that close, but their family might prefer the bedroom with lockout to give themselves a little space as well. . Something to consider.

I honestly don't think the second bedroom is bad either. To me, it was exactly like an inside cabin. We didn't have any problems with space or privacy issues.

NCL suites were just named to that list of the best suites among cruise lines.

Here is a link to the perks and amenities.

http://www.nclsuitesandvillas.com/pages/suitesvillasmore.php

we did the 2 bedroom suite on the Gem. It was great for the 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids). You're pushing it w/ the amount of adults you have, but if you guys are close, it can work.

The master bedroom is gorgeous & luxurious, with it's master bath the nicest and largest I've seen.

The other bedroom is almost a huge closet, no window (so kind of claustrophobic), and that bathroom is tiny and not "nice" like the other one. As long as those staying in there know that in advance, it could be fine.

I personally don't know if the suite perks are worth it. We ate lunch in Cagney's once. I swear we must have been there on a bad day because everyone raves about it, but for us, it was gross. My roastbeef sandwich was all fat, I couldn't even eat it. DH and kids were not impressed at all either. We didn't go back. Our butler was very nice and helpful, but we're very low maintenance, so while we enjoyed the daily snacks, etc, we wouldn't have missed them, and we didn't ask for anything special from him. We never utilized the conceirge services, so never even saw or met them (him?)

I'd pay for the suite for the space and how beautiful it is, but not the perks for it. Make sense?

Good luck deciding.

Suite perks are not the same as platinum status perks. Platinums do not get Cagneys for breakfast and lunch...and the priority embarkation/debarkation is better for suite passengers than platinum passengers. Platinums do not have a butler.

coka

You are correct, in that suite perks are better then platnum. You may have misuderstood what I was saying. If you stay in a suite, my point was that you get pretty much all the same perks as if you were platnum, without all of the silly coupon deals, which I usually find fairly useless.

We have sailed as a family of four in side by side adjoining balconies (on The Dawn), and the 2 bedroom suites (on The Dawn and The Gem). I agree that the second bedroom will be tight for two adults and a toddler, The bottom bed is probably a full size bed, not a queen. BUT... in the 2 bedroom suites you have a lot of extra room to spread out in the dining room/living room. I would do it. We felt the adjoining balconies for four of us were VERY tight, and awkward to maneuver (and our sons were small, 5 and 10 then). That experience was before any of our suite experiences. I say go for the 2 bedroom suite, with the extra living space, and suite perks, you will have an amazing cruise! I hope this helps a bit. :D

One other suggestion if you want the suite experience but feel the cabin will not be large enough for all of you. In the aft on Deck 8, 9, 10 you can generally book a Penthouse suite and an adjoining mini suite.

It really isn't ideal for 4 adults. I say 2 adults, 2 small kids, ok. We were honestly surprised how small it seemed, and we are just two adults! I think they could take some way from the master bathroom, though it is stunning!, and give to the living area. My sister used the small BR, and the bed was very uncomfortable, even with an egg crate. Not sure why they would put something so uncomfortable in there. I think your idea of a penthouse,and a mini suite is ideal! But only one room gets the perks of a suite. , not sure if that matters to you.

Archived