Just about the Paul Gauguin

lizf

Is it true there are no laundry rooms on the PG? For some reason I thought there was and after MaryLis had so much fun doing their laundry on their cruise, I thought all the RSSC ships had them.

The other question. I had gathered on the ship reviews for the PG, which are wonderful, thanks all, that booking the starboard cabins was where the best views came. In trying to book that, my agent said that the tenders leave from the port side generally and that is the side that you have the views from as you enter the ports, etc. Could someone please tell me which is the side with the incredible views as you are cruising the motus, I think it was. I would so appreciate it. Thanks.

We had a balcony on the starboard side and were very happy. For example, when we anchored in Bora Bora's lagoon, the starboard side faced the island and its stunning peak. Of course, maybe anchoring varies depending on wind and tides. It seems like most, if not all, the tendering was done from the port side, but I don't know that the people on that side regarded that as a positive.

I don't recall a self-serve laundry. The cabin has a little pull-out clothes line above the tub, so you can always wash a few things by hand there.

No, there are no self-service laundries on the PG. Wish there were. However, with the "all casual" dinner dress code, it is not difficult to pack enough for a week, as there is no need for suits, tuxes evening dresses, and the shoes to go with these things! Also, on this cruise, guests don't tend to sit on their balconies very much. Too much to do in the ports. This is one cruise where we don't even book a balcony.

Thanks,

Richard:) :) :)

This may be a smaller board than the mass marketed lines, but you folks are all so helpful that you leave no one wanting for more. :p Thanks so much.

Richard-We are planning on the 11 day Christmas cruise, so more clothes, maybe even a sports coat for DH. I just thought we could cut down on some of the shorts and tees if I could run a load a couple of times. I was looking forward to the neat laundries. Mary made it sound like such fun. I hate to send things out as opposed to machines one can use. Not a deal breaker though. I'm kinda sold on the PG anyways. :D

Ishmael- Thanks for confirming the starboard views. I held up booking today to get this confirmed. We will be doing a balcony because we don't swim. Kind of cuts down on a lot of the choices of side trips. Which brings up another question..........Can one snorkel if one cannot swim? We really want to see the fishes and underwater, but neither of us can swim. We are just too old to learn new tricks :) so will not even attempt to learn to swim, but the underwater sounds wonderful in Tahiti. Once again, thanks for your generous postings. Liz

Liz,

Yes, you can snorkel even if you can't swim. You will have on fins and there are wade-in snorkel opportunities in shallow water. If you are really swimaphobic, the PG snorkel outfit can include an inflateable vest to keep you afloat. I think that is overkill because it probably prevents you from going under the surface to check out the fish lurking a few feet below around the coral.

There are plenty of water related activities that don't require swimming skills. Check with the excursion staff to verify which ones are right for you.

As Richard says, a balcony is not strictly a necessity; we skipped it the first time and had it the second time. If the cost is not a factor, then go for it. To me there is nothing like having your own personal outdoor space for morning coffee, afternoon relaxation, late night viewing of the ocean, etc.

CMI

Liz:

Let me chime in briefly on snorkeling if you don't swim. My wife swims like a rock! But the water in FP is very salty, and the temperature is very warm. This makes it actually more bouyant than the water in many other places. In fact, Wife had problems when she wanted to sink and see some sea life --- and she couldn't. I have real problems diving down a bit there, and scuba divers report having to use more weights just to dive!

Thanks,

Richard:) :) :)

You have confirmed that starboard is what we'd want. Thanks.

Do you have to practice before you snorkel? Like before you go down to Tahiti, or can you check out the equipment and then practice just before you go under water. Thanks again.

On our cruise, they held several snorkeling "classes" for beginners at the wade-in snorkeling sites led by one of the aquatics staff. I didn't attend so can't say how detailed they were.

Once you get your gear, you could also try it out in the ship's pool. They sometimes have scuba divers in there so I don't think it would be any big deal to hop in with mask and snorkel on.

When we were on the PG for a 2 week Marquesas cruise, we began to run short of a few necessities. We sent out our laundry on-board and were very impressed with the service. The price was very reasonable and the service fast. Their dry cleaning prices were also great. Next time, we're bringing all our dry cleaning and having it done there. As far as pressing, become friendly with someone who has a butler cabin and have him do it. Seriously, you can have items pressed. As far as snorkeling, at the Tahaa Motu, the water is so clear you can just walk around in knee deep water and see the fish without a mask.

Have a wonderful time!!

Hi rubyclk, If the wrinkles aren't too bad, you can bring along wrinkle releaser in a spray bottle. It works pretty good (great on cottons) You just spray, then kind of pull & smooth out the wrinkles. I always bring it along and leave the travel iron at home.:D Halo

Archived