Baggie for snorkling with digital camera????

I thought that I had read somewhere that there was an inexpensive baggie typw thing that you could put your digital camera in and it would keep it dry so that you could take picture while you were snorkling, leed that about 10 or 15 ft???

I aslo thought that there was a web site attached where you could order it from. I know i know I am kicking myself for not bookmarking it. Lesson learned.

I would really appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Cindy

Try Google search on AWE Marine. Also read over the Scuba/Snorkel and Photo Lounge forums.

I used an AWE bag for a camcorder for years - no leaks. Gotta keep sand and hair away from the seal though....

We have an aquapak, but it is not for snorkeling (the manufacturer says so, too). It is to keep your digital camera dry and free of sand while at the beach. I could see using it while kayaking, perhaps, but even that is a significant risk. I surely wouldn't deliberately put the camera underwater, protected only with an aquapak.

Before you leave pick up one of those inexpensive one time use cameras for underwater photography. It works well, takes good photos and you will not have a heart attack if something happens to your digital camera. I just would not risk it.

I personally would not trust the "baggie" type device for use with an expensive digital camera underwater.

Depending how much you plan to use your digital camera in and around water it might be a good idea to invest in a real underwater case made by the manufacturer of the camera. We have a Sony DSC-T1 and we purchased a Sony "Marine Pack" direct from Sony on-line and it works great. It is waterproof down to 40 meters, and also protects the camera from sand and spilled "whatever". Just check the web site for the manufacturer of your camera.

If you only plan on taking "Wet" photos once or twice I agree with the posters who suggest a disposable.

We tried the aquapak solution, and although it kept the camera well protected, the pictures were terrible. There are problems with the aquapak type solution. First, you can't effectively manipulate the camera controls. It is hard to even feel the shutter button. Second, the plastic typically folds and creases across the front of the lens, and you get total blurred garbage for a picture. I would not attempt this solution again. Either you may have to make a significant investment for an underwater digital camera or case, or just buy an inexpensive disposable film camera as others have already suggested. If all else fails, forget any of the cameras and just relax and go snorkeling!!!

Do you work in the dental profession? I am a fellow cruiser who happens to be a dental hygienist. Great screen name.

About the camera. I would not recommend the baggie thingy. Imagine if it didn't work out and your camera got ruined. That would be a BIG downer on an otherwise fab vacation. My hubby has a BFA in photography and he just went digital 2 years ago. We recently purchased a Pentax Optio digital camera. It is not meant for underwater use, but is water resistant to 10 or 15 meters. We plan on taking this on our cruise in December, as DH does not want to lug around the big Canon EOS rebel digital. On our previous cruise we had a film camera made by Canon that was for underwater use. I don't think the pictures were any better than those you could take with a disposable underwater one.

Can't wait till we cruise again-Jewel of the Seas 12/11/05

Voyager of the Seas 8/03

Majesty of the Seas 1/04

~~~A bad day cruising still beats a good day working~~~

Try Google search on AWE Marine. Also read over the Scuba/Snorkel and Photo Lounge forums.

I used an AWE bag for a camcorder for years - no leaks. Gotta keep sand and hair away from the seal though....

I think this poster might have meant to write "Ewa-Marine". I actually purchased one of these for my digital camera before we took our cruise earlier this year. I paid around $85 for it. It worked wonderfully! I checked into getting the hard type of underwater housing that a previous poster mentioned, but for my camera, it was about $250-$260. I didn't want to invest that much money for something that I'd only use while cruising. I can't remember exactly, but I think mine can go up to 33 feet under, and at no time did it leak even a drop during my trip. I have a $600 digital camera, so believe me, I was checking constantly at first to make sure it was okay, but this brand of bag is great. This brand of waterproof camera bag has actually been made since the early 70's. There are different bags for different models of cameras. The bag itself is made out of double laminated PVC, but the picture is taken through a small high impact glass window for clarity purposes. The plastic part is soft, so you can push on the shutter button, etc. After using the bag in salt water, chlorine, etc, it is important to rinse the outside of it very good in clear, clean tap water. (Don't have to do it immediately, I did mine when I got back to the ship.) This helps extend the life of the bag.

I didn't have a lot of luck on finding these locally, but I don't live in a big city or anything. I bought mine from this website (had the best price when I purchased mine):

http://www.keepitdrycase.com/ewdigstilwat.html

Ewa-Marine makes different lines of product. The DU line bears the warning, "Although the DU can be submerged, it was not designed for prolonged use under water." The D line, which Sherry mentioned, is different. It is rated for under water use.

I bought an underwater camera (35mm film type) at Target for around $25.

It's a simple fixed focus 35mm camera with a plastic underwater case.

Its not the best camera in the world but the pictures are as good or better than the disposable type and you can load it with the film of your choice.

It also has a flash and can be used outside of the underwater case.

I wouldn't recommend it for scuba diving but for snorkeling it works OK.

Also for the price if something did happen to it I wouldn't be so upset as to ruin my vacation.

Archived