How many people have gotten a virus aboard a cruise?

DeeMarch

I was wondering what the numbers might be. And how many contribute it to the ship, food or something that they brought with them.

Denise

11/10/00 Married my best friend aboard

Grandeur of the Seas

Bermuda on the Crown

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;6;27;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Two years ago I was on the NCL Majesty and I got really sick one night. All I can say is thank God the toilet and sink were so close together. I have no idea what caused it. I always thought it was the drinking water...but who knows, There were 4 in our room and 10 others in our party and I was the only one that got sick.

It didnt sour me on cruises, going back on the Majesty in August.

NCL Majesty 04

NCL Majesty 02

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;08;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

On the Dream last year my mother got Norwalk very bad. 2 days quaranteened, 2 IVs, she was much better after 3 days but it seemed like it was running rampant since it's airborne. We were comped $200 The Captain himself announced that it's something the industry will have to learn to deal with.

NCL Norway 2/00 - Eastern Carib. poke.gif

Costa Atlantica 2/01 - Western Carib. icon_biggrin.gif

Costa Atlantica 2/02 - Eastern Carib. icon_biggrin.gif

NCL Dream 3/03 Valparaiso - Miami orangehat.gif

Costa Mediterranea 3/04 Western Carib. icon_eek.gif

icon_wink.gif Proud member of the PPS-Passport Pusher Society icon_wink.gif

~~ www.savemartha.com ~~

exactly 6230. But that includes all cruise lines. icon_wink.gif

I understand some of the critters with Noah didn't feel too well either.

some of my cruising photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/m1bisson

A bad day cruising is better than a good day at work.

The worst cruise I ever took was pretty damned good.

Platinum with RCI, a couple cruises with NCL and 1 with CCL

Clock remove but cruise in Dec

Kind of a tough question to answer. KInd of like asking "How many people got a virus going to school?"

Almost impossible to tell if you picked something up on board, while on shore or brought it with you from home. Guess you just have to keep your eyes open for clusters of similar cases on one ship in order to'blame' the cruise.

A few thousand people had Norwalk Virus on cruise ships last year. The US Center for Disease Control says that 127 Million people had Norwalk in America (not including Canada) last year.

Where would you rather be?

Norwalk Virus is a Rectal-Oral Virus. It is spread primarily by contact with people who do not wash their hands after using a bathroom.

The US Center for Disease Control also announced that only 23% of Americans regularly wash their hands after using the toilet. (I wonder how they got that information?)

If you do a bit of research, the only ships that ever seem to suffer from Norwalk Virus are those with a high percentage of American Passengers.

Keep washing your hands - but cruise on a ship with as few Americans as possible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Gallup:

Norwalk Virus is a Rectal-Oral Virus.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While accurate, this is a picture I don't want to see. icon_redface.gif

-Monte

The "CDC Outbreak Investigations Aboard Cruise Ships" are right now, as much as any previous year. If this trend continues, 2004 will have 3 to 4 times as many "Outbreaks" as any previous year. On our home page, click on CDC Outbreak Investigations Aboard Cruise Ships to see the list (links) of investigatations (and which ships) for this year and previous years.

icon_smile.gificon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif

Happy Cruising, Buil, http://cruiseclues.com

Sitmar, RCCL, Costa, HAL, Princess, Royal Cruise Line, Celebrity, Renaissance, Disney, MSC Lirica

"We cannot change the direction of the wind... but we can adjust our sails"

Monte, you crack me up.

We had a few cases of noroviruses--not sure if they were Norwalk specifically--aboard the Sun this past couple of weeks (16-day Panama Canal transit). They quarantined the folks who were sick and kept the spread to a bare minimum. I was really impressed at the measures the ship's crew took to prevent and then contain the viruses. I even spoke to two passengers who'd been sick and they told me, "Can't blame NCL--it happens, and they've done everything they could to prevent it. We may well have picked it up while ashore."

An explosive outbreak of gastroenteritis caused by a parvovirus-like (PVL) agent (Norwalk agent) affected 521 (64%) cruise ship passengers in 1977. The CDC reported 24 outbreaks of cruise-acquired viral gastroenteritis on 17 cruise ships in 2002. About 75 percent of the outbreaks of “cruise ship virus†were caused by Norwalk-like viruses, the CDC confirmed. Through October 2003, there have been at least 26 reported outbreaks of viral gastroenteritis on cruise ships. After knowing this I have to wonder, do we worry as much about catching the common cold or the flu on a trip? The same advice holds...wash your hands...carry hand sanitizer...and drink plenty of "booze". OK I out the last one in just to see if you read this. icon_smile.gif Seriously, I have a better chance of catching something from the public I deal with everyday more than the cruise environment. More information about virus and protection...contact your friendly local reference librarian! icon_smile.gif

<LI>Tropicale ~ 5/93 <LI> Norwegian Wind ~ Hawaii ~ 4/4/03 <LI>Norwegian Majesty ~ Bermuda~ 5/30/04 <LI>countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;30;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we sail on the Norwegian Majesty to Bermuda!

lmkbubblfsh.gif

I picked up the Norovirus on the Carnival Legend in Feb. of this year. I can honestly say I have never been so sick in all my life. My DH ended up taking me to the infirmary.

I can't tell you when the last time was that I had the flu or anything else that kept me down for 3 days.

I wish Carnival would have done something for me like NCL did for CruisinMatt and given us some kind of credit. I wrote Carnival a letter that I thought it would be kind to give me some kind of credit considering I didn't eat or leave my cabin for 3 days. Basically they said no dice.

This ship did nothing once they new cases were aboard the ship. 63 in all and the infirmary started seeing cases 3 days into the cruise. You'd think they'd limit the sharing of things. That's what happened on HAL Statendam 2 years ago. Once they saw a few cases they immediately stopped self service in the buffet lines and the sharing items at the dining tables etc.

I told my husband we simply don't have to cruise with Carnival anymore that's all.

Also, just because you wash your hands doesn't mean you won't get it. I am a consumate hand washer and I got it.

2/2004 Carnival Legend/Exotic Western Carribean

4/2003 HAL Statendam/Sea of Cortez

9/2002 CarnivalHoliday/Western Caribbean

4/2001 Carnival/Western Caribbean

4/2000 Carnival Paradise/Southern Caribbean

5/1999 RCCL/Alaska

4/1998 NCL/Pacific Coastal

10/1997 Carnival/Mexican Riviera

11/1995 Carnival Holiday/4 day Baja Mexico

6/1992 RCCL Viking Serenade/4 day Baja Mexico

6/1981 Pacific Princess/Pacific Coastal

Thankfully I have never gotten a virus aboard a cruise. I did get a Noro virus at a large family gathering last summer and, I agree, it is unlike anything I have ever contracted before...horrible and very contagious. Luckily the agony (and other unpleasantness) was over in 24 hours and there was a recovery period of another day or so.

I, personally, would never bypass a cruise opportunity in fear of this virus. You are just as likely to get it in an office building, mall, or other place where large populations congregate. One of the reasons cruise ships are singled out in the reporting of these outbreaks is that they take safety and sanitation so seriously and are required to report any difficulties. Also, it is nearly impossible to track in the other venues, but the same people may be in one place for 7 days or more on a cruise, so it is easier. I also don't see how cruise lines can be held responsible, if they take the preventative measures that I have seen vigorously employed on cruise ships. A new group of 2,000 people comes in every week, most of them by airplane (shared air). During flu season, (or any other time, for that matter) there is no way that they can keep a virus from getting aboard. I liked the idea that some lines employed last year, that is, advising oncoming passengers that the week previous had experienced an outbreak. If you wanted to cancel, you could, if you wanted to cruise, you didn't have to worry about your cruise and all your wonderful vacation plans being cancelled. I have been sick on a European vacation, sick on a car trip vacation, etc. There is no guarantee anywhere that you will not be sick on vacation (especially with the extra stresses, maybe jet lag, lack of sleep the night before the trip, strange foods, airplane travel, etc). My hotel in Europe certainly didn't give me a refund, nor did I expect one.

Of course, each person has to judge the risk for themselves based on their own health factors.

Linda,

Thanks for the info. I have a question regarding one of your statistics:

originally posted by Linda the Book Lover

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> An explosive outbreak of gastroenteritis caused by a parvovirus-like (PVL) agent (Norwalk agent) affected 521 (64%) cruise ship passengers in 1977. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does this mean to say that 521 people constituded 64% of all cruise ship passengers in 1977? Was there a typo?

[This message was edited by zimmerjulie on 04-29-04 at 12:16 PM.]

[This message was edited by zimmerjulie on 04-29-04 at 12:17 PM.]

originally posted by Jim Gallup

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> A few thousand people had Norwalk Virus on cruise ships last year. The US Center for Disease Control says that 127 Million people had Norwalk in America (not including Canada) last year.

Where would you rather be?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No contest icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

zimmerjulie,

The full text may be found at http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/biblio/gunn80.htm. The lead in appears to discuss five consecutive cruises.

Linda

<LI>Tropicale ~ 5/93 <LI> Norwegian Wind ~ Hawaii ~ 4/4/03 <LI>Norwegian Majesty ~ Bermuda~ 5/30/04 <LI>countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;30;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we sail on the Norwegian Majesty to Bermuda!

lmkbubblfsh.gif

dls, I'm sorry to hear about you illness on your cruise and Carnival's lack of compensation. I can only imagine how sick you were. My mom can't even remember two of the days she was down, that's how bad it was. Luckily this was on a 15 night cruise and she felt nearly 99% better on the end of the third day. I was really suprised to get the $200 credit and free medical from NCL, but I think it was quite a huge outbreak on the previous cruise. Did you have to pay for your infirmary bills? icon_confused.gif

NCL Norway 2/00 - Eastern Carib. poke.gif

Costa Atlantica 2/01 - Western Carib. icon_biggrin.gif

Costa Atlantica 2/02 - Eastern Carib. icon_biggrin.gif

NCL Dream 3/03 Valparaiso - Miami orangehat.gif

Costa Mediterranea 3/04 Western Carib. icon_eek.gif

icon_wink.gif Proud member of the PPS-Passport Pusher Society icon_wink.gif

~~ www.savemartha.com ~~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Linda the Book Lover:

zimmerjulie,

The full text may be found at http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/biblio/gunn80.htm. The lead in appears to discuss five consecutive cruises.

Linda

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking like Julie. Now I'm thinking these 5 consecutive cruises must've been on a mighty small ship (or else the guy who wrote this spent too much time in a bar)

-Monte

If you want to take something along to prevent viral contamination, please remember that antibacterials like alcohol and household sprays do not kill viruses.

Antiviral compounds that do kill viruses are quite expensive, hard to find, toxic, and usually damage clothing. Many of them also smell like urine.

Strong chlorine bleach solutions (400 parts per million or more) do kill noro-viruses, but damage cloth and skin.

Washing your hands very thoroughly with plenty of soap and water doesn't kill noro-virus, but it does wash it away.

CruisinMatt,

Actually, we were not charged for the infirmary bill. I think maybe that was because I went on a bit about the nurse lying to me. It was the 6th day of the cruise when I became ill and she told me there were no other cases of the illness on the ship (I'm sure that's what they have to tell people but why lie, why not inform the passengers so they can be better prepared) and I knew of people who were sick on about the 3rd day.

This certainly won't dissuade us from cruising and ultimately I told my husband it's not Carnival's fault I got sick. I do think, however, that with such close contact that cruise lines should be doing more to help prevent the spread of the illness.

My husband and I were in Arizona last week staying in a hotel. I said to him look how different a trip like this is compared to a cruise. We go in our room, we leave our room, we go out to dinner and are served, etc. etc. I then realized just how much close contact and touching of common things there is on a cruise ship. No wonder Norwalk is an issue.

2/2004 Carnival Legend/Exotic Western Carribean

4/2003 HAL Statendam/Sea of Cortez

9/2002 CarnivalHoliday/Western Caribbean

4/2001 Carnival/Western Caribbean

4/2000 Carnival Paradise/Southern Caribbean

5/1999 RCCL/Alaska

4/1998 NCL/Pacific Coastal

10/1997 Carnival/Mexican Riviera

11/1995 Carnival Holiday/4 day Baja Mexico

6/1992 RCCL Viking Serenade/4 day Baja Mexico

6/1981 Pacific Princess/Pacific Coastal

Let's face it. On a cruise ship all you need is one person sick to come aboard. Look what happens in schools! In close quarters, viruses can spread like wild fires. I liked the Norweg Dawn's hand sanatizers. Don't know if it would help but it made me feel better and more relaxed. Every cruise company has been having this problem. Even in our own homes, when one gets sick it usally goes thru the whole house no matter how much you clean. I think alot has to do with your personal resistance at the time of cruising!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;3;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till NCL Dawn cruise

i have never been sick on a cruise or been on one where there has been an outbreak as far as I know. I hope I keep this record.

NMNita

Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004

NCL Dawn - 4/25-5/2

Most of the week, many had colds which we actually must have had just before coming on because it didnt affect either of us. Wife and I both caught a mild stomach flu which lasted thru the first day back. Nothing bad though.

I caught that nasty noro virus three years ago when I was aboard the Vision of the Seas. I missed two of the three ports in the Mex. Riv. I spent one full day getting IV fluids and antibiotics. They had to wheel me to the infirmary I was so sick. It's no fun, I'll tell you that.

Since then, I'm much more careful about washing my hands more often, especially since I have to use the bannisters when I climb stairs.

Host Miriam

Community Supervisor

ldrscruisemir7@aol.com

<font face='Comic Sans MS' color=6B8E23><font size="2">

<marquee width=40%>Until Mariner Reali-tini Cruise</marquee>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=6B8E23&cdt=2005;10;16;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

<center>realltblue.JPG

smbanreali.gif

bb1.gif

</center>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How many people have gotten a virus aboard a cruise? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably not as many as as have gotten one at Wal-Mart, or the local grocery, or school, work, or church. Most people who get sick while cruising would have also gotten sick if they'd stayed home because they were already incubating the virus when they boarded.

RCI Majesty of the Seas 06/05/2000

RCI Enchantment of the Seas 12/09/2001

Carnival Conquest 12/01/2002

Norwegian Dawn 11/30/2003

Norwegian Star to Alaska 6/26/05

Life is too short to be unhappy!

Archived