What is the difference between an SE and SF suite besides the location?

Lady Curious

We are trying to decide between an SE and SF (previously AC and AD) suite on either the Star or the Gem.

Can anybody tell us what they liked and disliked about each of these cabins, please?

From NCL's website descriptions, both rooms look identical, but the square footage is so much different.

We do not understand. :confused:

If you have been in any of these suites would you recommend them or not, please elaborate. If you would recommend one of them, which cabin and why?

I just read on another thread that the Star is showing wear and tear. Has anybody been in one of these suites since the Star has been refurbished?

Also, what is the difference between the deck levels? Is deck 9 or 10 better in each category? We are not interested in deck 8 on either ship, especially the Star.

HELP, please :eek:

Thank you very much.

:)

SE- Forward Penthouse with large deck

SF- Aft Penthouse with smaller deck

The SE suites have a watertight door between the cabin and the deck the SF have sliding glass doors.

SE decks are subject to more wind - but have great forward views - they can also be seen from the bridge - so no nude sunbathing - unless you want to distract the crew.

Both suites come with the same perks. I like the SF better.

As for deck choice that depends on the ship - on the Pearl and other Jewel class ships the SF on deck 10 have the largest balcony and still have a deck between them and the outdoors cafe.

I also like the SF's better. We found the SE's too windy to enjoy at sea. However, we sailed from NYC in December... I guess it would depend on the itinerary. I would think that the SE would be perfect for a Panama Canal cruise.... I think the layout of the rooms is about the same. (on Jewel class ships)... we did have cabin 10500 on the Gem which has a jut out in the cabin which makes it bigger inside. (fits a full size sofa instead of the smaller one) We just loved our SF last January... so much that we booked a similar cabin for this coming January.

OP, I was in the Star in both suites in September, they looked just fine to me. I don't get too excited about normal wear and tear, I understand the way these things work with that kind of use.

What I do notice is how clean everything is, and how pleasant the crew are.

I preferred the front facing suite because of the large deck. We did not encounter any days when it was too windy to use them, but of course that could change. I loved the time I spent in an aft suite, watching the wake. You can't go wrong!

I have the front SE booked on Star for next May's Bermuda cruise. I cruised many times in aft cabins [balconies, not suites] and they offer an amazing view of the wake.

I booked the SE for the first time to experience the bow of the ship. Pricing is great too, $200pp less than the SF on aft.

Either way, you cannot go wrong.

Can anybody tell me if the cabin in the SE/AC is much larger than the SF/AD cabin?

We are looking at either one of them on deck 10, unless somebody on these boards tells us a reason to like deck 9. Has anybody stayed in both deck 9 and deck 10 SE/AC suites? If so, can you please describe the differences.

Does the larger balcony on deck 9 of the SE/AC make up for the smaller cabin? Does the bridge have a clearer view of the balcony or light from inside the cabin on deck 9 is worse than the cabin on deck 10 because it sticks out farther?

Is the balcony on both deck 9 and/or deck 10 of the SE/AC suites completely uncovered or is it partially covered and partially not?

Is the balcony on deck 10 of the SF (AD) suites larger than the ones on deck 9 SF/AD but all the SE/AC balconies are larger than the SF/AD's, is that correct?

If it helps, the sailings we are considering are both going to Bermuda. We have never been there and look forward to it.

Never sailed on the bow of the ship, not sure how I will like not having a glass rail. Also concerned over the solid door making the cabin appear dark. Is there enough light during the day not to need the lights turned on? When the curtains are drawn and the lights are turned on is there enough light to be able to read and play board games, etc.?

I realize that category SE/AC is usually ALWAYS more money than the SF/AD, one would think it is bigger/better, I am just trying to understand why. If anybody knows for sure, I am all ears.

Looking for those experienced cruisers to help us out.

SE Balconies are mostly uncovered, may be a small cover near the cabin (don't remember).

SF deck 10 balconies are generally the largest of the SF's. Deck 8 & 9 corner SF's on the Star do have a wrap around balcony, which was great when we had one for a Panama Canal cruise. Don't know why other ships don't have this.

Can anybody tell me if the cabin in the SE/AC is much larger than the SF/AD cabin?

We are looking at either one of them on deck 10, unless somebody on these boards tells us a reason to like deck 9. Has anybody stayed in both deck 9 and deck 10 SE/AC suites? If so, can you please describe the differences.

Does the larger balcony on deck 9 of the SE/AC make up for the smaller cabin? Does the bridge have a clearer view of the balcony or light from inside the cabin on deck 9 is worse than the cabin on deck 10 because it sticks out farther?

Is the balcony on both deck 9 and/or deck 10 of the SE/AC suites completely uncovered or is it partially covered and partially not?

Is the balcony on deck 10 of the SF (AD) suites larger than the ones on deck 9 SF/AD but all the SE/AC balconies are larger than the SF/AD's, is that correct?

If it helps, the sailings we are considering are both going to Bermuda. We have never been there and look forward to it.

Never sailed on the bow of the ship, not sure how I will like not having a glass rail. Also concerned over the solid door making the cabin appear dark. Is there enough light during the day not to need the lights turned on? When the curtains are drawn and the lights are turned on is there enough light to be able to read and play board games, etc.?

I realize that category SE/AC is usually ALWAYS more money than the SF/AD, one would think it is bigger/better, I am just trying to understand why. If anybody knows for sure, I am all ears.

Looking for those experienced cruisers to help us out.

I think can help you some for the Gem. First, thanks for the AC/AD references, it makes it much easier for me to know which stes you mean, I am not used to the new indicators yet! :) On the Gem (and maybe the Star too), the two center AC suites on deck 10 are larger than the others, because they have a "bumped out" living area (and therefore, a smaller balcony). All the other ones are the same inside from what I could tell. Even the balconies, while different sizes on the two decks, seemed very much the same to me - they are huge. I would say that deck 9 is a bit more private from the bridge, just because of angle of view, but again, negligible. Both decks have partial covering on the balconies, and the rest open, and the bridge can only see you on the open part, and the angles obscure the view just past the roof as well. You are in full view at the railing, and not viewable at all closer to the door. Both decks require your drapes to be closed at night when underway, as the lights obscure the bridge view, but I think you might be ok while in port overnight in Bermuda (not 100% sure on this, we were always sailing at night). The solid doors are heavy, but the is a simple wood door that can be used while you are in port (you can leave the heavy door locked in the open position). There is a very large window, with plenty of light for the cabin - almost as large as a slider but not quite... We never found it dark during the day, and read in bed at night with no issue - it was no darker or lighter than the aft suites.

For the difference in the AC/SE and AD/SF: the Forward suites definitely felt larger, although they are all set up the same so it can be hard to tell the exact difference, just a bit roomier- but not so much to make a real difference. The forward balconies are HUGE compared to the aft (we're talking like 30 people outside standing with cocktails huge or 6-8 loungers and then some huge). I would think forward would be ideal for a Bermuda sailing, as you are in port for so long, you can really enjoy the space, and if you want to sunbathe, you can lay in the sun, or in the shade or a combination. I prefer the forward views personally, but many prefer the aft. Not sure how the bulkhead would bother me - hard to explain- I think it in these terms: the AD has a balcony, the AC has a patio/courtyard (does that make any sense at all?). I suppose if you were planning to lay in bed and watch the waves, you would not have a view in the AC suites, but I have never done that. Not too much of a view laying on the lounger either, but I am usually reading a book, not looking out to sea, so that may bother some people. Probably, the most important thing might be location - look to see where you might be spending the most time on the ship (spa?).

Tough call for me, I would likely just go with price - if it was close enough I would do AC/SE, if it was a bigger difference, I would do the AD/SF.

Robin

We are looking at either one of them on deck 10, unless somebody on these boards tells us a reason to like deck 9. Has anybody stayed in both deck 9 and deck 10 SE/AC suites? If so, can you please describe the differences. I stayed in 10500 on Jewel and 9500 on Pearl, both the former AC categories. Deck 10 has smaller balconies and deck 9 has huge balcony! The two cabins with the bump out has more inside room and the glass windows provide more exterior light and view when sitting inside.

Does the larger balcony on deck 9 of the SE/AC make up for the smaller cabin? For me it does! I loved that giant balcony. Even so, I had my hubby look at both cabins on the Gem and he preferred the bump out inside space. Does the bridge have a clearer view of the balcony or light from inside the cabin on deck 9 is worse than the cabin on deck 10 because it sticks out farther? When I was on deck 10, we were asked to close our curtains at night because of the glare on the bridge. When I was on deck 9, I did not have to close curtains as the light from cabin was further from the bridge view. I have been on a few bridges and I always look down to see what I can see. You can only see 1/3 of deck 9 balcony and you can see more of deck 10 balcony. Having laid out in the sun on both balconies...if you can't see the bridge then they can't see you.

Is the balcony on both deck 9 and/or deck 10 of the SE/AC suites completely uncovered or is it partially covered and partially not? Both are partially covered. I found less sun on deck 10 because the balcony did not go out far like the one on deck 9.

Is the balcony on deck 10 of the SF (AD) suites larger than the ones on deck 9 SF/AD but all the SE/AC balconies are larger than the SF/AD's, is that correct? Others will have to help you here...I do think it is deck 10 with the larger balconies on the stern...but not sure. Yes, I know for sure the balconies of the AC are bigger than the AD...however...I only sailed the middle AC's...the owner's suite balconies on the sides have less balcony space in the front...but they have an extra balcony on the sides.

If it helps, the sailings we are considering are both going to Bermuda. We have never been there and look forward to it. When the ship is docked for three days I doubt you will need to worry about wind or your curtains...although...depending on the way your ship is positioned, you might have another ship smack dab in front of you...so depending...you could have the bridge or stern of the other ship looking directly at your balcony and nothing is protected from view. Since there is no guarantee which way the ship will face...seriously consider if you will like that or not.

Never sailed on the bow of the ship, not sure how I will like not having a glass rail. Also concerned over the solid door making the cabin appear dark. Is there enough light during the day not to need the lights turned on? Yes there is enough light but the concern is valid. Since I did not like the chairs in front of the window, I moved the table there instead and had more light coming in (9500). When the curtains are drawn and the lights are turned on is there enough light to be able to read and play board games, etc.? From what I remember, yes, plenty of light...but the ships also have a game room!

I realize that category SE/AC is usually ALWAYS more money than the SF/AD, one would think it is bigger/better, I am just trying to understand why. If anybody knows for sure, I am all ears. The pictures you see that look the same...you are seeing the forward suites. I never understood why they are not using accurate pictures for the stern ones...I think the space and balcony is smaller although decorated the same, hence the reason for the less price.

Looking for those experienced cruisers to help us out. Most people love the stern over the forward suites. For me, the noise of the wake is annoying. Even so, I have stayed on the stern 3 times in a non suite and enjoyed the non wind and brought ear plugs. Although stayed in a forward suite, I have only visited the stern suites.

Good luck on your choice!

coka

Coka- Excellent point about other ships docked while in port in Bermuda! For this reason, I would vote for the forward suites. If you have a ship in front of you, you still have a "buffer" space between you balcony and the next ship (the rest of the forward part of the ship). But in the aft, you could literally be 40 feet from another aft balcony (if the ships dock aft to aft), and that glass railing and slider would provide the perfect opportunity to "show off" a little ;) lol..

Robin

From NCL's website descriptions, both rooms look identical, but the square footage is so much different...

Wow! The website pictures of the penthouse balcony forward and the penthouse balcony aft are now corrected! They now look like they really do which are different from each other. I checked out the Gem, Pearl, and Jewel.

coka

We so greatly appreciate all this helpful information. Thank you so much.

Robin, I totally agree with you. The reason we decided on the SE/AC was the price. :D

Sounds like I should book cabin 9000 SE/AC, because I like to sleep with the curtains opened so I can wake up via daylight, and DH likes to sleep with the TV on.

But . . . DH wants cabin 10000 SE/AC because he said he would rather have a larger cabin and smaller balcony, which by no means is small compared to the balconies on the side or even aft cabins.

Does anybody know if the light from the TV would bother the bridge?

We have sailed both...on Star and Pearl. Depends on itinerary. For Panama Canal we were forward and it was the BEST VIEW ON THE SHIP with extra space to invite others. You can see EVERYTHING....all the mechanisms of the Canal working. For open sea underway, that deck can be unpleasant so I wouldn't want to do a TA in a forward cabin. Look at location carefully because all the new cabins on the Star on Deck 12 are neither front or aft but port or starboard. The plus of these suites in that they are really beautiful and all brand ndw. The Pearl [don't know about the other ships in this class] is still in pretty decent shape.] The Star has been refurb'd but some of the suites are downright yucky. The Picasso Owners Suite on Deck 10 looks like an aged bordello. DO NOT BOOK AN AFT SUITE ON DECK 8 ON THE STAR. When the lounge moved from deck 12 to make room for the new suites, it went to aft deck 7...but proper accoustical barriers didn't get installed. We heard alot of complaints from people in deck 8 suites above it. I'd only sail in the old AD's on Deck 10 if it were me. Hope this helps. PS we did aft to Alaska last summer on the Pearl, Deck 10...thought it was the perfect choice for a colder, rainier itinerary.

We have sailed both...on Star and Pearl. Depends on itinerary. For Panama Canal we were forward and it was the BEST VIEW ON THE SHIP with extra space to invite others. You can see EVERYTHING....all the mechanisms of the Canal working. For open sea underway, that deck can be unpleasant so I wouldn't want to do a TA in a forward cabin. Look at location carefully because all the new cabins on the Star on Deck 12 are neither front or aft but port or starboard. The plus of these suites in that they are really beautiful and all brand ndw. The Pearl [don't know about the other ships in this class] is still in pretty decent shape.] The Star has been refurb'd but some of the suites are downright yucky. The Picasso Owners Suite on Deck 10 looks like an aged bordello. DO NOT BOOK AN AFT SUITE ON DECK 8 ON THE STAR. When the lounge moved from deck 12 to make room for the new suites, it went to aft deck 7...but proper accoustical barriers didn't get installed. We heard alot of complaints from people in deck 8 suites above it. I'd only sail in the old AD's on Deck 10 if it were me. Hope this helps. PS we did aft to Alaska last summer on the Pearl, Deck 10...thought it was the perfect choice for a colder, rainier itinerary.

Lots of great info here. :)

Quick Q: if aft decks 8 & 9 have wrap around balconies, why deck 10, which does not?

Just returned from an 11 nighter on the Dawn. Suite 10000. This suite has the "bump out" due to bridge configuration.

Awesome room. 15 cruises this was absolutely the best cabin ever. Was concerned prior to cruise about two issues; Windy and Ship movement at Bow

Neither turned out to be a real big issue. One day out of 11 was windy and one day was rough seas. I would book this room again without any reservation. Only one day we were faced with a headwind. Other days wind either behind us or cross the deck allowing us to enjoy the balcony. You can sit in your room and look out through the large floor to ceiling windows. Watched the sunrises and sunsets.

Very large balcony being 16 ft across. Suite 10000 is directly underneath bridge. About half of the balcony was covered. All of the other balconies on Deck 10 and Deck 9 are exposed. Met our neighbors and could basically speak to them on either side. Suite 10000 privacy from bridge no issue. Went on bridge tour and could not see much of our balcony.

Depends on direction of travel... but we had plenty of sun. Quite frankly due to the large balcony and view.....I have never spent so much time in my room.

You can view suite via this link

Suite 10000 is directly underneath bridge.

You can view suite via this link

Thanks for posting the link! We are in same suite on a future Star sailing and I just showed it to my hubby...his first suite experience...he is in awe. I plan to do all week what your wife was doing in the video! :D

coka

We have stayed in both and they are about the same size ( cabin ) but it's all about the balcony, forward balconys are great for port days and aft for sea days. Last when staying in a aft cabin Do Not Stay over the bowling ally ( Pearl, Gem ) you can hear it at night.

Thanks everyone for all the great info. I had just booked a Jewel aft suite when I watched a youtube of the cabin and realized how my vertigo looking straight down into the wake would be. Just switched to an SE forward cabin as the larger size will help as well as looking down on other decks. My TA was able to get me more OBC and travel insurance to help make up the diff. We'll have a lot of port days so if sea days are windy at least we'll be able to use the balcony in port. Thanks again to everyone for their input as it possibly turned a bad cruise into a good cruise for me!

We will take a forward suite any time, any cruise. Just think the enormous balconies and amazing views are the best, and I like seeing where I'm going, not where I've been. It also seems to me that the suites themselves are slightly bigger, but that's probably not always true and it's a minor point anyway.

Yes, it's true that the forward balconies can be windy when the ship is under way, but you can almost always find some shelter in all but the worst of wind conditions.

Sign me up for forward, please!

I've had a forward mini and will have an aft PH in Jan. I think I'll like the aft but would definitely sail in a forward again.

You'll be on the Star 3 weeks before us! Unfortunately we won't be in a suite until 2013 (unless the upsell fairy pays a call). I would love to hear your review. I'm pretty set on the ports except for Roatan. Off topic but I would love to hear your thoughts about what you're doing there. BTW we'll be in VT Xmas week visiting my brother in Shelburne en route to Montreal. Happy Holidays!

Archived