Attessa IV

Interesting Ut, up until recent years they have had a resistance to paying rent and thus have been in some pretty secondary/modest locations ...they are really stepping up to the plate on this one.:)

Had to come into town today; looks like we have the Queen of Chilliwack sitting at berth 2 down at Langdale...I was a little fearful that she might be the vessel that picks up the slack on our route this summer but it looks like the second ship will be the Queen of Coquitlam.

Anyone know where they are going to deploy the the 'wack for the summer?

In looking at the BC Ferries web site it looks like it will be doing the Discovery Passage again this summer starting on June 12 so perhaps it is taking it`s time getting up to Port Hardy to start the season.

Cheers

Dennis

Did you also happen to notice that Cruise Critic has changed the title on the Pacific Northwest thread to California Coastals/Pacific Northwest.

Just noticed it today for the first time

Cheers

Dennis

In looking at the BC Ferries web site it looks like it will be doing the Discovery Passage again this summer starting on June 12 so perhaps it is taking it`s time getting up to Port Hardy to start the season.

Cheers

Dennis

Of course....good bit of sleuthing. On the other hand they may have just layed her up here while a press gang shanghais a crew....nobody really likes to work on her.

Did you also happen to notice that Cruise Critic has changed the title on the Pacific Northwest thread to California Coastals/Pacific Northwest.

Just noticed it today for the first time

Cheers

Dennis

No, but thanks for the update.

• 1 month later...

Been busy tonight watching a lightning storm over the Strait about abeam of Ladysmith, a lot of forked lightning which tends to be unusual for this part of the world.

Our golf club has just finished hosting the BC Provincial Boys Championship which was won by a young lad from Victoria who plays out of Royal Colwood. He just kind of hung in for the first 3 rounds and won it after being tied after 4th round in a sudden death playoff this afternoon. None of our local lads made the cut after 2 rounds. I had volunteered to work the the tourney which meant a couple of 5 am wake ups this week which I don't do well.

Ut, how are plans for your big round the horn cruise coming together?

Hey!

Finally found summer at the Point.

Been over and back on all the 4 Ferrys on the tsw/Syd run in the last week. Even the old ferry QoNW did just fine.

However leaving this side on one of the Spirits last week did a few wiggles to "Test the steering" and for safety reasons we went south around Boundry Point (I think) taking an extra 40 minutes of travel. Was ok never been down there.

Victoria is busy and the Gardens are great at Butchart. $33 bucks entrance. Hasn't changed a lot since 1967 though lol.

9 am Ferrys from Tsw full of tourists from far east and kids on day trips from Vancouver programs. Crowded.

Back to summer.

See what happens when we start to congratulate ourselves on the weather - we get a threatening grey sky.

PD - yes the planning is coming along for the SA cruise - until I get the new passport - awaiting pick up at the post office and then the Brazilian visa - will start that process next week and until that is issued I am in a bit of a holding pattern - have booked some private excursions with some of the people on the roll call which is quite active.

Yesterday was another day volunteering - this time for the Knee Knackers race across the North Shore mountains along the Baden Powell trail - I was at Cleveland Dam making sure that the runners were able to cross Nancy Greene way safely as they headed up to Grouse.

One thing that I noticed and it reminder me of a discussion we locals had about public vs private transportation option to visit our popular tourist sites was that each one of the #236 Grouse Mt buses were filled and with lots of people standing - they were even running specials and they were filled as well.

Probably more so than the big cruise in Jan 2013 is the big 65 in Sept - just think - able to take the ferry as a foot passenger mid week for free - ride the buses at a reduced rate - get the eyes checked for free - and most of all - that nice cheque from the government each month - no clawback for me.

Time for breakfast

Cheers!

Dennis

Three things:

1. The Brazilian visa has been approved so that's one more thing off of the bucket list and

2. We have a world traveler in port today - the cruise ship the World is docked at Canada Place and

3. Princess has officially notified us that we don't need a yellow fever shot for the SA cruise - that had previously listed it as a requirement - that will save me some money.

Cheers

Dennis

667681427_AfternoonparkrideJuly212012016.jpg.9c42522aa3e1a634c3a219f6e4dccbd4.jpg

848824072_AfternoonparkrideJuly212012017.jpg.b1353a4946816b26e5ba23bf07cb43e1.jpg

739042768_AfternoonparkrideJuly212012019.jpg.784c02185551369651313ff110bbe51a.jpg

Dennis

Missed the note that you were off to SA.. where are you going .. are you doing the Carnival repo from Vancouver all the way around the Horn to Florida???

SA was our first 28 day cruise aboard the Infinity back in 05 and we loved it. To date SA remains our favorite itinerary...

Ann

I am doing the Grand Princess - 49 days from Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco leaving on Jan 26, 2013 and arriving in San Francisco on March 16, 2013.

Wasn't aware that Carnival had one leaving from here - they do have one in Feb '13 leaving from LA and ending up in NYC - almost booked that one as I was waitlisted on Princess but was able to get on the Princess one and while there were pros and cons on each cruise I stuck with Princess - overnight in Lima and Rio + the Falklands being the main deciding factor.

Cheers

Dennis

I am guessing that we are not going to see the World as it doesn't depart Vancouver until 2359 or so.

However after the Century went by we spent our dinner time being entertained by a Royal (we can say that again) Canadian Navy frigate doing maneuvers out in the Strait; I have never seen one at full speed, they throw a rooster tail and can turn on a time...it was quite amazing as they did a man overboard drill in front of us.

I am doing the Grand Princess - 49 days from Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco leaving on Jan 26, 2013 and arriving in San Francisco on March 16, 2013.

Wasn't aware that Carnival had one leaving from here - they do have one in Feb '13 leaving from LA and ending up in NYC - almost booked that one as I was waitlisted on Princess but was able to get on the Princess one and while there were pros and cons on each cruise I stuck with Princess - overnight in Lima and Rio + the Falklands being the main deciding factor.

Cheers

Dennis

If this is your first time around SA you will love it. I used all private tour guides and had some of hte best guides and tours ever .... have their contact info if you are interested. In the Falklands Andy is the Ships Agent and also tour company and he gave me a tour at half the cost of the ships tour using the same bus & guide.... Only wish I had gone to see the penquins in the Falklands as everyone that did that raved about it.. did not do it due to the Seniors who were with us.

I was at Lonsdale Quay yesterday and there was another expensive and big yacht docked there. It has a helicopter on board as well.

From a newspaprer article from a few days ago I gleamed that it is one of Paul Allen's cruising toys.

PD - for the first time there were no tugs tied up there - have they moved them to another location so they can redevelop the site.

Cheers

Denn

1583608277_LionsGate-SpiritTrailJuly252012057.jpg.38f85540cd1e162f7a3052eeeedb2e32.jpg

2136321829_LionsGate-SpiritTrailJuly252012058.jpg.cf2da090afe7e1bbe3fcf95a5bea9dfc.jpg

Edited by Urban trekker

FYI - just a note to say that the Marriott Residence Inn is finally re-opening today after a long renovation which I have been watching from my perch a block away for months.

If I see any opening specials I will post them.

Cheers!

Dennis

I was at Lonsdale Quay yesterday and there was another expensive and big yacht docked there. It has a helicopter on board as well.

From a newspaprer article from a few days ago I gleamed that it is one of Paul Allen's cruising toys.

PD - for the first time there were no tugs tied up there - have they moved them to another location so they can redevelop the site.

Cheers

Denn

Having seen it in Coal Harbour 10 or so years ago I had thought the Tatoosh was an older vessel but maybe it was the previous edition....however for a cool $160,000,0000 it could be yours c/w his and hers helicopters. He now own a larger yacht named the Octopus.

http://twistedsifter.com/2010/09/paul-allens-yacht-tatoosh/

All of the Cates fleet of tugs were integrated into the Seaspan fleet...you know my buddy DDub and moved over to the foot of Pemberton Ave. some time ago.

It's not the Tatoosh but the Meduse.

Also it appears my info about the Marriott might be a bit premature - was by there today - while there are people inside they still haveb't opened the doors to the public - I think the web site is accepting reservations starting Aug 1, 2012 so that likely means a few more days of staff orientation, dry runs etc.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

It's not the Tatoosh but the Meduse.

Dennis

I had no idea that he owned three yachts.....but at only 199 feet.....well, he is probably embarrassed to flaunt it, there are yacht clubs that he couldn't join with a yacht of only that size.:D

• 3 weeks later...

Wonderful news that more cruise ships are returning to Vancouver as HOME port....

Now if I could only get a job as a Meet & Greeter for the ships :):) But have to first find a summer that I could dedicate to the job - seems I always have a trip of some kind booked which means I could not dedicate the time to the job.

I would only like this job as I love cruising so much would love to be seeing folks off on their dream vacation :):)